What is bridge jumping?

okjac12okjac12 Senior Member
edited July 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
I continually hear the term"bridge jumping". What does it mean?

Comments

• jenroypajenroypa Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Im sure others can define it better but a bridge jumper is a bettor who places a large wager on a single horse, usually to show. Its usually on a heavy favorite.. Because there is a mandatory payout of 2.10 at most tracks, they can get a better return than the actual odds. But if the horse doesnt come in, they will want to jump off the nearest bridge.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2012
    jenroypa wrote: »
    Because there is a mandatory payout of 2.10 at most tracks, they can get a better return than the actual odds.

Say what? You do realize that with a payout of $2.10, you need to win 20 out of 21 times just to break even...
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure she's advocating it DC.

If you want a great example of "bridge-jumping" check out the first race @ Hollywood.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    I was looking around for some good investments this week and it appears that AAA corp bonds are returning around 5% at best. Quality blue chip equities which pay a good dividend are about the same. So, if a gambler wants a return of better on a quick score, they can come into a certain track and put down a large sum on a horse to show and get 5% on a quick score, assuming the horse comes in!

Years ago, before simulcast and ADW, Oaklawn was required, by State law, to return a minimum of $2.20 on a show bet. Cella family didn't mind if they took a small loss because they figured they would get the money back in beer sales. However, this 10% return caused "Bridge-Jumpers" to fly into Hot Springs and lay down a bundle. When this happened, and I can still remember it today as if it were yesterday, you would hear Terry Wallace call the race and would hear something like, " Pat Day has Old Birdie down on the rail and is looking for racing room but has nowhere to go"

Funny how many times Pat Day was riding the favorite who just happened to have very bad racing luck?

With the advent of simulcast and ADW, oaklawn was allowed to reduce payout to minimum of $2.10 when show pool was flooded.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    bump
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    See Race 8 @ Belmont today.
    That is bridge jumping at its finest
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    See Race 8 @ Belmont today.
    That is bridge jumping at its finest