2yo firster info for Opening day @ Saratoga

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Nothing earth-shattering here, but i did notice that the two expensive Pletcher firsters (Kimono in Race 3 and Kauai Katie in Race 5) have worked heads-up together in 4 out of their last 5 drills.

Worth mentioning also that all of Kimono's drills have come under a different name, that being I Got This One. Pretty rare that i'll come across that, but when i do, those horses seem to win more than their fair share. Coincidence? Who knows...

Of greater interest is the fact that Kimono appeared to outwork the recent 3-length maiden winner Rose Junction in her July 9 drill. That certainly bodes well for her chances here, though obviously any half-million dollar Pletcher baby figures to get bet through the floor.

The other one, Kauai Katie, actually tied for the fastest furlong (10.0) at the Fasig-Tipton sale, so she's of definite interest here. Especially if Kimono runs well in the 3rd (based on their multiple drills together).

Enjoy the meet, guys...

Comments

• JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Last Sunday the NY Post had their annual Saratoga update report. Here is their lis of 2 year-olds to watch:

Colts
    1. All That
    2. Bad Hombre
    3. Captain Gaughen
    4. Forever Thing
    5. Go Get the Basil
    6. Horatio
    7. Hot West
    8. In Harm's Way
    9. North Slope
    10. Piceance
    11. National Prayer
    12. Oldwick
    13. Noble Tune
    14. Spurious Precision
    15. Stourbridge Lion
    16. That's Gin
    17. Track Rocker
    18. Translation
    19. Tweet Me
    20. Well Lawyered

Fillies in next post
  • JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Fillies

1. Cindy Says
    2. Citizen Emma
    3. Decoder
    4. Dream Fuhrever
    5. Emollient
    6. Grand Mere
    7. High Inflation
    8. Island Love Story
    9. Love to Score
    10. Masasi
    11. Perfectly Anna
    12. Polan
    13. Psychadelacized
    14. Raven Rise
    15. Reef Road
    16. Ruby Lips
    17. Smittenwithkitten
    18. Spirit to Winit
    19. Teen Pauline
    20. Winner's Legacy

Good luck to everyone
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Jerman wrote: »
    Last Sunday the NY Post had their annual Saratoga update report. Here is their lis of 2 year-olds to watch:

Colts
    1. All That
    2. Bad Hombre
    3. Captain Gaughen
    4. Forever Thing
    5. Go Get the Basil

6. Horatio
    7. Hot West
    8. In Harm's Way
    9. North Slope
    10. Piceance
    11. National Prayer
    12. Oldwick
    13. Noble Tune
    14. Spurious Precision
    15. Stourbridge Lion
    16. That's Gin
    17. Track Rocker
    18. Translation
    19. Tweet Me
    20. Well Lawyered

Fillies in next post

Thought those two rang a bell somewhere...
    Nice call with Carried Interest, John. And congrats on the nice second-place effort by Palace Malice. It was 8 lengths back to Horsepower in third....wow

FYI, Carried Interest worked heads-up with an unraced horse named Go Get The Basil in his final drill coming into this race. Also had worked hedas-up from the gate back on June 7 with an as-yet-unnamed horse out of the dam Ruby Summer.

As mentioned above, Palace Malice's two most recent drills came heads-up with Forever Thing (June 29) and El Duro (June 15).
    edited July 2012

Colts
    1. All That
    2. Bad Hombre
    3. Captain Gaughen
    4. Forever Thing
    5. Go Get the Basil
    6. Horatio
    7. Hot West
    8. In Harm's Way
    9. North Slope
    10. Piceance
    11. National Prayer
    12. Oldwick
    13. Noble Tune
    14. Spurious Precision
    15. Stourbridge Lion
    16. That's Gin
    17. Track Rocker
    18. Translation
    19. Tweet Me
    20. Well Lawyered

Fillies in next post

Do you have a link to that article? I'm having some trouble finding it...

Btw, here's a nice 2yo's-to-watch article from the DRF site:

Saratoga: Pletcher, Brown and Mott loaded with 2-year-olds | Daily Racing Form
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    On Saturday--Race 2
    2yo msw 5 1/2
    #8 Holden On, 8-1

Real steady work pattern for debut. Chad Brown says he is more than ready to race and his works indicate a real sprinters state of mind. Brown loves the outside draw in this reduced field of 8 race. Ramon should have this firster well positioned turning for home and he should make his presence well known. Eclipse folks are huge on this one! More Bold Ruler in his bloodline than I can count.
    edited July 2012
    Nice run by the firster Kimono, missing by a half-length to the co-favorite Lignite. Looks like Kauai Katie is very live for the 5th.
    edited July 2012
    Nice run by the firster Kimono, missing by a half-length to the co-favorite Lignite. Looks like Kauai Katie is very live for the 5th.

10-length winner @ $5.60 :toast:
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    10-length winner @ $5.60 :toast:

AzIvrquCQAAHrd4.jpg

Hey, I was geared down. It would have been more.
    edited August 2012
    LOL. I think the official margin was 12 lengths, btw.
    edited August 2012
    LOL. I think the official margin was 12 lengths, btw.

Corail is up next. Based on the Double will pays I think EVEN money or 6/5 looks probable. I'm alive in some big pick 3's, really don't want to have to bet a 6/5 shot in a race that loaded, but I will if I have too.
    edited August 2012
    Hey, where'd you get the picture? Is that actually Kauai Katie?
    edited August 2012
    Hey, where'd you get the picture? Is that actually Kauai Katie?

Yeah. It's from Stonetreet Farms website. Pretty fucking cool right?
    edited August 2012
    Indeed!
    edited August 2012
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    AzIvrquCQAAHrd4.jpg

Hey, I was geared down. It would have been more.

2/5 ml favorite in the Grade 2 Adirondak today.....makes the 9/5 payoff in the maiden race look pretty good :toast:
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    On Saturday--Race 2
    2yo msw 5 1/2
    #8 Holden On, 8-1

Real steady work pattern for debut. Chad Brown says he is more than ready to race and his works indicate a real sprinters state of mind. Brown loves the outside draw in this reduced field of 8 race. Ramon should have this firster well positioned turning for home and he should make his presence well known. Eclipse folks are huge on this one! More Bold Ruler in his bloodline than I can count.

JG This horse goes Saturday in the 4th and Im counting the days. He comes out of that MSW with Spurious Precision and we all know what he did when running back on Sunday. Holden On ran an even race at 10-1 in that MSW race and comes in off of 2 nice workouts since. WOW watch out if this horse is anywhere near 8 or 10-1. Unloading!!!!!!!
    edited August 2012
    AzIvrquCQAAHrd4.jpg

Anybody catch my older sister at Del Mar today? We're both undefeated Graded stakes winners. We're both pretty sexy, too (Although, I'm a little young still.)
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2012

Colts
    1. All That
    2. Bad Hombre
    3. Captain Gaughen
    4. Forever Thing
    5. Go Get the Basil
    6. Horatio
    7. Hot West
    8. In Harm's Way
    9. North Slope
    10. Piceance
    11. National Prayer
    12. Oldwick
    13. Noble Tune
    14. Spurious Precision
    15. Stourbridge Lion
    16. That's Gin
    17. Track Rocker
    18. Translation
    19. Tweet Me
    20. Well Lawyered

Zito/junior race2 on travers day with hot west..
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Another reminder, Hot West in ~ 25min
    Saratoga
    Race 2
    #8 Hot West
    edited September 2012
    rayphil wrote: »

Colts
    1. All That
    2. Bad Hombre
    3. Captain Gaughen
    4. Forever Thing
    5. Go Get the Basil
    6. Horatio
    7. Hot West
    8. In Harm's Way
    9. North Slope
    10. Piceance
    11. National Prayer
    12. Oldwick
    13. Noble Tune
    14. Spurious Precision
    15. Stourbridge Lion
    16. That's Gin
    17. Track Rocker
    18. Translation
    19. Tweet Me
    20. Well Lawyered

Zito/junior race2 on travers day with hot west..

Spurious Precision died.

Spurious Precision, among the leaders of the 2-year-old division, had to be euthanized Tuesday morning after fracturing a knee during a workout Monday at Aqueduct, trainer Rick Violette said in a press release.

Spurious Precision had just completed a mile workout in 1:43.66 at Aqueduct, but was pulled up by exercise rider Rodney Payne soon after completing the move.

“He went a mile and looked super,” Violette said. “But Rodney felt his stride change as they finished the work, and he pulled him up right away.”

The horse was vanned back to Violette’s barn and then shipped to the Hogan Equine Clinic, where it was initially believed that the injury could be repaired surgically. But, according to Dr. Patty Hogan, Spurious Precision “shattered two major weight-bearing bones of his knee, as well as incurring other smaller fractures of the lesser-supporting bones, thus rendering the knee unstable and unable to support his frame.”
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    rayphil wrote: »

Spurious Precision died.

Spurious Precision, among the leaders of the 2-year-old division, had to be euthanized Tuesday morning after fracturing a knee during a workout Monday at Aqueduct, trainer Rick Violette said in a press release.

Spurious Precision had just completed a mile workout in 1:43.66 at Aqueduct, but was pulled up by exercise rider Rodney Payne soon after completing the move.

“He went a mile and looked super,” Violette said. “But Rodney felt his stride change as they finished the work, and he pulled him up right away.”

The horse was vanned back to Violette’s barn and then shipped to the Hogan Equine Clinic, where it was initially believed that the injury could be repaired surgically. But, according to Dr. Patty Hogan, Spurious Precision “shattered two major weight-bearing bones of his knee, as well as incurring other smaller fractures of the lesser-supporting bones, thus rendering the knee unstable
    and unable to support his frame.”

Read this story the other day. Devastating. Looked like a very nice 2yo.