Interesting 2yo firster entered @ the Spa

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
In Saturday's 2yo maiden affair, there's an Elusive Quality colt out of the lightning-fast multiple graded stakes winner Xtra Heat entered for trainer Nick Zito. Not saying i like this one, because:

(a) i couldn't find pertinent workout info (other than a pair of heads-up drills with an unraced horse named Track Rocker), and more importantly...

(b) Zito is a pathetic 2-out-of-his-last-81 with first-time-starters.

Those things being said, the Xtra Heat angle certainly gives this colt license to have some serious speed, and it's definitely worth noting that his last 3 drills (including the two with Track Rocker) have all been bullets (best-of-53, best-of-54, and best-of-22).

This colt also brought $260,000 as a yearling last September, so it appears that someone saw something they liked (especially considering the sprint-type pedigree).

Again, i won't be backing this horse, but i do find him to be extremely interesting...

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Break the streak Zito turns it around with this one
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    With that breeding(Y) The're going to have to "listen" for him when he crosses the finish line. I'll be on him, for sure.:toast:
    edited July 2012
    I think this horse goes on Saturday not Friday
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    I think this horse goes on Saturday not Friday

You're right, thanks. Getting ahead of myself....will fix up top.
    edited July 2012
    The funny thing was I spent like 30 minutes looking for this horse on tomm cards. lol
    edited July 2012
    Sorry 'bout that. The horse's name is Hot West.
  • JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Selected by both Andy Stirling and Steve Byk
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Zito had a firster yesterday , DISTORTION, who acted up entering the gate, walked out and made a decent run but on the turn he turned right and went for a bowl of chowder. Funny thing, he took alot of play and Castellano got on. I would have to really like a Zito fister to risk any of my money on him!
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Zito had a firster yesterday , DISTORTION, who acted up entering the gate, walked out and made a decent run but on the turn he turned right and went for a bowl of chowder. Funny thing, he took alot of play and Castellano got on. I would have to really like a Zito fister to risk any of my money on him!

They actually had Zito on the air for HRTV about an hour or two before this race and brought up both Distortion and Hot West. The way he talked about them was completely different and it was easy to imply from what he stated that Distortion was nowhere near cranked and would be allowed to do her own thing. He made several comments regarding Hot West's readiness today which made him actually sound confident about one of his firsters winning at first asking.
    I'm with you 99% of time on passing on a Zito firster, but all signs seem to be on go for this one.
    edited July 2012
    Hot West never got involved. I was quite suprised to see him get bet down to early favoritism, with Show Some Magic (an Asmussen trainee who ran a close second behind the subsequent Bashford Manor winner Circle Unbroken last time out) sitting there at a ridiculous 5/1 or whatever is was. It eventually corrected itself, but still very surprising, i thought.

FWIW, i was on Well Lawyered. He had worked heads-up on three occasions (mid-May to mid-June) with Onetwentyeight, who came out of those drills to win by 5 lengths @ Belmont last month. He's actually entered in tomorrow's Sanford, btw.

Think this one might turn into a key race. The time was fast, and several of the entrants had some things to like going in. Worth noting that the early pacesetter (#1 Exploring, 13/1) had worked the fastest furlong at one of the April OBS under-tack shows, so his speed looked very legit. Wouldn't be shocked if any of the 2-3-4 finishers came back to win next out, and Hot West figures to move forward a bunch in start #2 for Zito, as well.
    edited July 2012
    Looked like Hot West had a bit of trouble at the break?