Betting strategy

two acrosstwo across Junior Member
edited August 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
I have been logging onto this site (reading more than posting) for more than a year and appreciate all of your insight. I always enjoy the Saratoga meet and this year I need your help. My wife has issued a challenge for Travers day - if I can walk in with $500 and leave with $2500, I will "win" and she will let me buy a share in a horse. That aspect can be a whole other post!

My usual strategy is to make a few small bets (exactas, tri-keys), parlay the winnings with slightly larger bets and leave up or down $100 or so. This won't be successful for this challenge and I could really stand to improve my overall approach.

Without knowing the details of the card, what betting strategy would you use? $100 Win bets? $50 Exacta boxes? Remember, $500 is the bankroll for the day. Once the card is in place I'll be interested in your picks.

Thanks!

Comments

• topplayertopplayer Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Pick a 4-1 horse and bet 500 to win.
  • two acrosstwo across Junior Member
    edited August 2012
    Haha - I appreciate the simplicity! And who doesn't try that strategy once in a while? Any other ideas?
    edited August 2012
    What do you guys think of betting a trifecta like this:

Horse 1,2 - W
    Horse 1,2,3 - P
    Horse 1,2,3,4,5 -S $48

vs.

Horse 1,2,3,4 boxed $48

Seems useful if you feel strongly about a couple entries.

Thanks
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Honestly, I wouldn't have a set approach until you have a chance to go over the form.
    You may find a few solid singles in a Pick 4 sequence you want to hit, you may find two longshots to bet WP, you may find 2 horses you want to bet to win where you can bet the first then parlay the winnings on the second horse, etc.
    edited August 2012
    Thanks FlyinLate. That is solid advice.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    I can tell you what I started doing and this may help you...daily doubles pay more then what you think they do..I lay down a 20$ flat double and if you hit one that pays like 50 bucks then that 500 bones..If you do play a pick 4 I try to find atleast 1 single then I can load up in other races..I dont know about the travers either cause your going to have one of baffert horses there with alpha
  • thebox138thebox138 Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    i'd say without knowing the card that your best money making bet would be playing the late pick 4 , ya get a guaranteed 500k going in and maybe even 1mil with the fact its travers day . with a bigger bankroll ya can go deeper in certain legs or all legs . catch one nice longshot in your sequence and you not only will have your 2500 bucks but enough left over to take your wife out to a nice restaurant afterword.
  • ShowDoughShowDough Banned
    edited August 2012
    Me I'm a show bettor, try a $200 show bet parlay with three races. It's worked for me often! Good luck.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    ShowDough wrote: »
    Me I'm a show bettor, try a $200 show bet parlay with three races. It's worked for me often! Good luck.

Like that one time... remember....
    ShowDough wrote: »
    BEST show bet in the history of racing. 2nd Race at the SPA #1 entry. 4 horse entry.
    ALL IN!!!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    I have not kept up with my profit, but I know it is sizeable!

Husker and I have been going to the bank for the past few months on anything Chris Richard saddles. Chris is currently the leading trainer at Prairie Meadows in Iowa and his numbers are cosmic! I started out playing a couple of dollars and am now playing a couple of dimes. His horses don't win all the time, but damned near! When they wind down Prairie Meadows Chris will probably spread out and send many to Remington. BTW, Chris is also the number one trainer for Big Shot owner Maggie Moss. Playing chalk is a no-win angle, but Chris Richard makes it a pretty good play!
  • ShowDoughShowDough Banned
    edited August 2012
    Dirtyshirt, it seems like you enjoy taking shots at me. Are you related to Jerry Sandusky?
    edited August 2012
    Thanks thebox138 - I am really good at getting 2 or 3 out of 4 with that approach!:laugh:
    edited August 2012
    Thanks ShowDough - I may catch the wrath of DirtyShirt with that method! Haha.
    edited August 2012
    Thanks John! That's a new name for me.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Put Chris Richard in your virtual stable or whatever ADW site you use. Major player across the Mid-West and a hell of a nice guy and even better trainer!!!