Angles

jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
edited September 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
I don't usually look for angles. I try to handicap a race the best I can and look for standouts. In the past six weeks, I've been only betting races where the best horse was so obvious to me I would seriously doubt any other horse could compete. Using that scenario, I have won half of my bets in August, for a slight positive ROI, but the odds are usually low, because standouts like that are easy to spot.

However, I have found an angle that I look for now:

Horse raced in past three weeks
Dropping in class
Won last out at a higher class
Bullet workout within 30 days
POOR BEYER RATINGS

I have seen only two horses that met every requirement here in the past month, but they both won at decent prices. The reason I look for poor beyer ratings is because if the horse meets all those requirements and also has good beyer ratings, everyone will bet him and he won't pay much. The poor beyer ratings eliminate uneducated bettors and keep the price higher.

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    jjohns7777 wrote: »
    I don't usually look for angles. I try to handicap a race the best I can and look for standouts. In the past six weeks, I've been only betting races where the best horse was so obvious to me I would seriously doubt any other horse could compete. Using that scenario, I have won half of my bets in August, for a slight positive ROI, but the odds are usually low, because standouts like that are easy to spot.

However, I have found an angle that I look for now:

Horse raced in past three weeks
    Dropping in class
    Won last out at a higher class
    Bullet workout within 30 days
    POOR BEYER RATINGS

I have seen only two horses that met every requirement here in the past month, but they both won at decent prices. The reason I look for poor beyer ratings is because if the horse meets all those requirements and also has good beyer ratings, everyone will bet him and he won't pay much. The poor beyer ratings eliminate uneducated bettors and keep the price higher.

The forum is a great way to monitor an angle. When you find a horse entered that meets the criteria, let everyone know and you can keep tabs on how this works in the long run.
  • jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Angle Test. Found a horse that fits:

Woodbine 9th race, 9/1/12 - Bear's Future

Horse raced in past three weeks - Raced Aug 5. 3 1/2 wks
    Dropping in class - Lowest previous was a $20k claimer. This race is a $10k Claimer
    Won last out at a higher class - Won Aug 5 in $20k claimer
    Bullet workout within 30 days - Bullet workout Aug 20
    POOR BEYER RATINGS* - best beyer is 72. In this race, I would call 76 or higher good.

* I know the poor beyer ratings criteria is subjective. For my purposes, I look at the best recent (last out) beyer rating of all the horses in the race and consider any beyer rating within 5 of that to be good.

The problem I see for Bear's Future in this race is Stardust Ziggy is also dropping in class, but has the highest recent beyer rating, and 81. Still that's all Stardust Ziggy has going for him...
  • jjohns7777jjohns7777 Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Bear's Future won the race, but by post time, odds were down to 2 to 1. Still, a win is a win, right?

So, did you guys tell everyone at the track about my angle or what?
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Wow nothing wrong with 2-1. Good job