Breeders Cup preview day @ Santa Anita

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited October 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
BC Classic favorite Game On Dude goes in the Goodwood Stakes (now called the Awesome Again Stakes) this Saturday...

Meanwhile, Juvenile Fillies favorite Executiveprivilege (i'm guessing on that because the Wynn still doesn't have futures up) goes in the Oak Leaf Stakes (now called the Chandelier Stakes) the same day.

Not sure why they decided to change the name of these races after all these years (did Awesome Again even run in California?), but it should make for a nice afternoon of racing.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Nice day of racing too at Belmont on Super Saturday. We won't know who's in or out till the draw, and several are scheduled to work Monday morning, but here are a few I'm getting vibes on:

BELDAME: F & M 3 & up 1 1/8
    Royal Delta has been working like the champ should. Love And Pride pulled the upset but has come back to really look good, but the extra 1/16 could be a question. The sleeper in this group could be Go Unbridled for the Chief. Word is this 5yo looks as good as ever and capable of handling the distance. Would not be the first time Mr. Jerkens has pulled an upset?

VOSBURG :3 & up 6f
    Only a 3yo going against older, but THE LUMBER GUY has been off for over 4 months and being re-trained as a sprinter since a TC attempt. Morning works are eye-catching and gets a positive jockey change to Johnny V.

FLOWER BOWL, f & m 3 up 1 1/4 turf
    Could re-name this race the Chad Brown Bowl, as he is loaded with Zagora and the rapidly improving Dream Peace.

JOE HIRSCH TURF, 3 & up 1 1/2 turf
    Don't know if Euro star Treasure Beach is coming, and Shug is big on Point Of Entry, but I like Finnegans Wake. He ran a huge race in the Secretariat Stakes on Arlington Millions undercard but was beaten by Euro monster owned by His Highness The Aga Khan, Bayrir. Dale Romans thinks he will love this demanding distance.

KELSO, 3 & up one mile
    Shack, Shack, Shack! Back to his old self and burning up the track in the morning at Churchill. Returns to site of his Met Mile win. I just think he is quicker than THAS and will hold that one at bay throughout the mile. New shooters like Emcee have been struggling as of late trying to rebound from big efforts.

JOCKEY CLUB GOLD CUP, 1 1/4
    Tough pick, but right now I would go with Ron The Greek. He runs his best when his races are spread out around two months apart. His works up at Saratoga are sharp and this one will still be running when the others are done. ATIGUN may finally have found a group at this distance that he can handle, but he didn't get it done at Belmont Stakes and will find this group of older horses equally as tough. Alternation has fallen off form and Little Donnie opts to skip this one and point to a Keeneland Stakes race.

We will know more followin Monday works and the draw!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Nice post, thanks for the thoughts on the races...
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Just played Carving at 70-1 to win the BC Juv.
  • wheatinawheatina Junior Member
    edited September 2012
    Love and Pride is running at Santa Anita and the Lumber Guy never ran in a TC race.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    JG, I was under the impression that Alternation was coming out my way in 2 weeks to run in the Hawthorne Gold Cup?
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Probably so now. He was a little tired after his last in the Gov. Cup at Remington, but he was put to the test this morning and really lit up the track. They can van him up to Chicago from Oklahoma and they think that is the way to go , as they were not keen on flying to ny via louisville. Just too much travel for a tired horse. or even if he wasn't tired, he would have been and you don't want that just ahead of BC trip to California.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    BC Classic favorite Game On Dude goes in the Goodwood Stakes (now called the Awesome Again Stakes) this Saturday...

Meanwhile, Juvenile Fillies favorite Executiveprivilege (i'm guessing on that because the Wynn still doesn't have futures up) goes in the Oak Leaf Stakes (now called the Chandelier Stakes) the same day.

Not sure why they decided to change the name of these races after all these years (did Awesome Again even run in California?), but it should make for a nice afternoon of racing.

Executivepriviledge gonna face Kauai Katie? Or is that wishful thinking?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Executivepriviledge gonna face Kauai Katie? Or is that wishful thinking?

I have been told Katie is going in the BC Juvy Sprint and at this time TAP is pointing Dreaming of Julia to Juvy Fillies.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I have been told Katie is going in the BC Juvy Sprint and at this time TAP is pointing Dreaming of Julia to Juvy Fillies.

Probably a wise choice. EP looked nice on that dirt.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Probably a wise choice. EP looked nice on that dirt.

Yea. I think we have two standout filly favorites. The boys may not be as easy to split.