Pace handicapping

segafredo1segafredo1 Junior Member
edited October 2012 in Horse Racing Forum
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how i possibly could handicapped the different paces that exist in thouroughbred horse racing.

Some questions that are on my mind:

How can i define a fast pace ?
How can i define a Slow pace ?
How can i define an honest pace ?

Let say horse A last race was 1200m, fast pace. Horse A is a front runner. Final 600m = 37.40s
Let say horse B last race was 1200m, slow pace. Horse B is front runner. Final 600m = 36.30s.

Horse A and horse B will run against each other in another 1200m race.

The predicted pace for that race will be an honest pace.

I want to adjust the last 600m of each horse to a honest pace !!!

Can anyone help ?

Thank you!

PS: i have made up those figures. And i have no idea how to handicap pace, could anyone help me in any way ?

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I understand your example, but it's impossible to answer without knows "how" fast or slow the early pace was in your example races.

As you're alluding to though, yes, horses that run faster early can be given a bit of a pass for slower finishing times. It's all relative though.

PS - Welcome to the forum.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    segafredo1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me how i possibly could handicapped the different paces that exist in thouroughbred horse racing.

Some questions that are on my mind:

How can i define a fast pace ?
    How can i define a Slow pace ?
    How can i define an honest pace ?

Let say horse A last race was 1200m, fast pace. Horse A is a front runner. Final 600m = 37.40s
    Let say horse B last race was 1200m, slow pace. Horse B is front runner. Final 600m = 36.30s.

Horse A and horse B will run against each other in another 1200m race.

The predicted pace for that race will be an honest pace.

I want to adjust the last 600m of each horse to a honest pace !!!

Can anyone help ?

Thank you!

PS: i have made up those figures. And i have no idea how to handicap pace, could anyone help me in any way ?

But - you seem smarter than 4 of the last 5 guys who stumbled across this place. I'm sure you'll be good in no time.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    But - you seem smarter than 4 of the last 5 guys who stumbled across this place. I'm sure you'll be good in no time.

Just spit scotch all over my keyboard :laugh:
    Thanks for the unexpected laugh in this thread.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    I'm not spilling my Johnny Black! I was getting a uneasy feeling when I thought i would have to convert meters into yards. Math was never my strong-suit!

I, personally, do not even attempt to do this myself, and twinspires ultimate PP's w/ comments does it for you. Just my little short-cut! I utilize the pace figs that you get and then try to visualize how the race will set-up. I think its great if you have the time to do this on your own, but twinspires seems all too easy? Comments welcomed, and welcome to HRT, btw, are you a MIT grad?
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, we use civilized measurements. Like furlongs.