He's back, Baby, he's back!

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Good luck today, John!!!

Palace Malice returns in allowance

Palace Malice, an impressive maiden winner at Saratoga who was under consideration for last summer’s Hopeful Stakes before going to the sidelines, returns for his first start of the year in Saturday’s first race, a seven-furlong allowance for 3-year-olds, but trainer Todd Pletcher is hoping to aim higher soon thereafter.

“This is a good starting point, a good distance to start back at, but with a pedigree like his, he should be better going two turns down the road,” Pletcher said Thursday.

Palace Malice, a colt by Curlin out of the Royal Anthem mare Palace Runner, was purchased as a 2-year-old in training for $200,000 by Dogwood Stable. He was second in his debut at Belmont Park in July before a runaway victory against maidens Aug. 4.

“He had a shin, so we stopped on him and gave him some time off,” Pletcher said. “It popped up right before we were going to run him in the Hopeful. He’s training well. He’s always trained well. We’re looking forward to his return.”

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2013
    3 straight heads-up drills with Shanghai Bobby, btw. Have to like that!

Btw, i noticed he also worked heads-up with an unraced horse named Golden Lad back on the 24th. Any info on that one, John?
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Good luck today JG!!!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Useful effort, i suppose, although i was certainly rooting for the win (i bet him late @ even-money). Sloppy track rearing it's ugly head again, though in this case i'm not entirely sure how much difference it made (unles maybe it just helped Majestic Hussart, who was a 6-length winner in his previous sloppy-track apperance).

All in all. i'm sure Pletcher and the Dogwood guys are satisfied. Amirite?
  • rhgrahamrhgraham Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    not sure how impressed I would be with todays race thought he should have been closer at the wire.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    All things considered, not a bad effort first back. Javier said he went ok over the slop but did not fire when asked. However, in looking at the PP's, Majestic Hussar had a BRIS mud pedigree as high as I have ever seen. Moreover, The winners other good races were all over the off-going. Looks like we just got beat by a better mudder today. Those two were well clear of the rest and the gallop out was very good. We're going to draw a line thru this one and get ready for the next--going longer and hoping for a fast track. We will have two and maybe three more races to get points, assuming PM comes back and runs a good one in the FOY.

Disappointed----Yes
    but not ready to throw in the towel by any means.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    DC

A little note on Golden Lad, a unraced 3yo homebred from Paul Robsham , bred like a brick shithouse, by Medaglia d'Oro out of Broadway Gold by Seeking The Gold, is said to have high action and will be pointed for lucrative turf races later in the Stream meet, with an eye on Saratoga later in the year. I don't know, but dirt works are pretty good too! I wouldn't be surprised if he makes his debut soon? The reason he has not raced yet is not due to injury, but because of age, he was a late March foal, and connections not wanting to rush into this season too early, and they can afford to wait!