Has anyone been to Keeneland?

FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
edited April 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
My wife and I may be joining another couple at the Blue Grass Stakes next weekend but we were unsure what seats to purchase off StubHub. Obviously we'd like to have a good view of the races while we still being around the masses to enjoy the Keeneland tradition. Any suggestions?

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Where's the nicest place to stay? I need a fucking vacation too.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I've been to KEE several times and I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. Seems that the taverns are upstairs and overlook the paddock and saddling area. Doesn't take long to go from there to the slab. You may want to check on the availability of the HANCOCK BOXES, located near the finish line. We sat in them one day during the fall meet when the sun was hell and the temp around 100. Too hot for the blue-bloods that day. Seth didn't mind us poachers filling up his seats. Might be a different story Bluegrass Day?

Lodging??? Good luck?
    Not a decent hotel within 5-7 miles of the track. But the drive is fun, going right thru Calumet Farm.
    edited April 2013
    I've been to KEE several times and I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. Seems that the taverns are upstairs and overlook the paddock and saddling area. Doesn't take long to go from there to the slab. You may want to check on the availability of the HANCOCK BOXES, located near the finish line. We sat in them one day during the fall meet when the sun was hell and the temp around 100. Too hot for the blue-bloods that day. Seth didn't mind us poachers filling up his seats. Might be a different story Bluegrass Day?

Lodging??? Good luck?
    Not a decent hotel within 5-7 miles of the track. But the drive is fun, going right thru Calumet Farm.

I don't mind a scenic drive. Especially, if I can rent a Cadillac - makes me feel old.

Nate, are you going regardless? Only if PM runs? Not with JG MIA?
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    I don't mind a scenic drive. Especially, if I can rent a Cadillac - makes me feel old.

Nate, are you going regardless? Only if PM runs? Not with JG MIA?

My trip will be dependent upon PM running. Although I'd love to drink in excess for an entire weekend with JG again, it doesnt look like that will happen this time around. I should know by the weekend whether or not I will be going. Are you debating on making the trip?
    edited April 2013
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    My trip will be dependent upon PM running. Although I'd love to drink in excess for an entire weekend with JG again, it doesnt look like that will happen this time around. I should know by the weekend whether or not I will be going. Are you debating on making the trip?

I've seen Churchill, but never Keeneland. Also, my old lady has been on me a little about a "quick vacation." I guess if you're bringing the missus, too, I'll consider a weekend trip. My chick's a nature type, so she would love the country.

I guess if PM runs, I'll start checking out how to get there....
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Good Luck IM planning my trip to the SPA to watch PM run in the Travers!
  • JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
    edited April 2013
    I'll be heading down there with FL, bummed you wont be making the trip JG! I'm sure OL will be a blast though too. With how bad PM got screwed on Saturday, I really hope they give him another shot, sure looked like the winner before the trouble.
    edited April 2013
    You guys all doing a couples trip? I was gonna look at flights today.
    edited April 2013
    You guys all doing a couples trip? I was gonna look at flights today.

Its beginning to look that way. JG texted me this morning that said barring injury or illness PM is going. John (Putz) is going to be here tomorrow and we will likely finalize plans. Let me know if you are going as we can attempt to find 6 seats.
    edited April 2013
    Its beginning to look that way. JG texted me this morning that said barring injury or illness PM is going. John (Putz) is going to be here tomorrow and we will likely finalize plans. Let me know if you are going as we can attempt to find 6 seats.

Great news for PM. I'm not sure about my availability, I'm trying really hard to sell a couple shows right now. However, if you do find 6 seats for a reasonable price, you can get me on the hook for them. If you can't sell them race day, and I can't make it, I'll pay you regardless.

sdc4130@hotmail.com JG has my # if you need it.
    edited April 2013
    Great news for PM. I'm not sure about my availability, I'm trying really hard to sell a couple shows right now. However, if you do find 6 seats for a reasonable price, you can get me on the hook for them. If you can't sell them race day, and I can't make it, I'll pay you regardless.

sdc4130@hotmail.com JG has my # if you need it.

Finding 6 together is not easy right now.
    I'll text John for your # tomorrow. Got some campaigning for a local election in the morning and will call you after.
    edited April 2013
    Finding 6 together is not easy right now.
    I'll text John for your # tomorrow. Got some campaigning for a local election in the morning and will call you after.

Didn't even cross my mind. Santa Anita is an empty POS. Honestly, don't stress it - we'll meet up at the Derby. Maybe try to sneak into Palace Malice's winner's photo.
  • BobbyClineBobbyCline Junior Member
    edited April 2013
    Had I known you were thinking about going to the blue grass, I may have opted for that over Arkansas. Keeneland is 3 or so hours from me and Ive never been. Ill have gotten to Santa Anita, Belmont and Oaklawn before Churchill or Keeneland..lol. Oh well, gotta enjoy those mini vacations when you can. You guys have fun. Maybe Ill catch you next trip or at Arlington again later in the year.
    edited April 2013
    Didn't even cross my mind. Santa Anita is an empty POS. Honestly, don't stress it - we'll meet up at the Derby. Maybe try to sneak into Palace Malice's winner's photo.

Let me know what you decide then. At the very least we can always grab seats together for the Friday card. Otherwise, sneaking into future PM winner's circle photos sounds like a plan.
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I'll be there in the Kentucky Club. First time ever to Keeneland for live racing. Went in the fall when looking at some stallions. My goodness it is beautiful there! can't wait! checking out the babies and stallions wednesday and thursday then races fri and saturday. let me know if ya'll for sure end up going!
    edited April 2013
    I'll be there in the Kentucky Club. First time ever to Keeneland for live racing. Went in the fall when looking at some stallions. My goodness it is beautiful there! can't wait! checking out the babies and stallions wednesday and thursday then races fri and saturday. let me know if ya'll for sure end up going!

Grabbed four tickets last night for the Blue Grass. Send me an email and I'll send you my number. We'll grab a drink while we are there.
    edited April 2013
    BobbyCline wrote: »
    Had I known you were thinking about going to the blue grass, I may have opted for that over Arkansas. Keeneland is 3 or so hours from me and Ive never been. Ill have gotten to Santa Anita, Belmont and Oaklawn before Churchill or Keeneland..lol. Oh well, gotta enjoy those mini vacations when you can. You guys have fun. Maybe Ill catch you next trip or at Arlington again later in the year.

This was literally thrown together on a whim. Had no intentions of going until JG mentioned they were going here with Palace Malice. Basically we're only going to be PM's lucky charms so that when he wins, we force Dogwood to give us free derby tickets :smile2:
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Good Luck with that free thing!

Hope ya'll have a ball and get PM a little racing luck--he needs and is due some!
    As you know, my plans are made well in advance every year and I combine pleasure with business during the Racing Festival of the South. Thus, no Keeneland for me that weekend. Plus, I attend a Equine seminar every year at Keeneland the week of the Derby/Oaks, so two trips to Lexington is a bit much. PM has to run 2nd for a shot with the points. Get him there!
    edited April 2013
    Good Luck with that free thing!

Hope ya'll have a ball and get PM a little racing luck--he needs and is due some!
    As you know, my plans are made well in advance every year and I combine pleasure with business during the Racing Festival of the South. Thus, no Keeneland for me that weekend. Plus, I attend a Equine seminar every year at Keeneland the week of the Derby/Oaks, so two trips to Lexington is a bit much. PM has to run 2nd for a shot with the points. Get him there!

Will do.

Next year for my CLE we are certainly doing the Keeneland seminar.
    edited April 2013
    Also, anyone have any suggestions for must stop at bars or restaurants?