Palace Malice draws post 5 with 8-1 morning line

FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
edited April 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Not a chance the 8-1 sticks, but not a bad draw.

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Get my money back with interest. Lol.

6-1 seems reasonable, it's a tough fucking race.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Oxbow on the outside again in the Ark derby WTF
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Just play any Ramsey horse....them kitten joy horses love that track..
    edited April 2013
    rayphil wrote: »
    Just play any Ramsey horse....them kitten joy horses love that track..

Realized that a few years back when they all debuted at Saratoga most of them first time starters running routes. I don't think any of them even made the board. Month later they all win at keeneland!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Not sure how i feel about the 5-hole. Not a bad spot considering the huge field, but after getting buried in traffic the last two races, it does make me a little nervous. Hopefullu Gomez can just get the horse into the clear and keep him there...
    edited April 2013
    Not sure how i feel about the 5-hole. Not a bad spot considering the huge field, but after getting buried in traffic the last two races, it does make me a little nervous. Hopefullu Gomez can just get the horse into the clear and keep him there...

It's a very tough field, too.

Here's another thought. If Palace Malice has a regular jock, that jock knows he need 2nd (possibly 3rd) to have a Derby mount, and he'll ride that way. Gomez apparently has Vyjack locked up, so no matter what he's told, he's gonna try to win this thing. That's how he is. If I was the connections, and had a son of Curlin (who's by Smart Strike, I believe), who had sire potential like his, I would offer Go Go 50k to run for second (assuming that was legal *cough*).
    edited April 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    It's a very tough field, too.

Here's another thought. If Palace Malice has a regular jock, that jock knows he need 2nd (possibly 3rd) to have a Derby mount, and he'll ride that way. Gomez apparently has Vyjack locked up, so no matter what he's told, he's gonna try to win this thing. That's how he is. If I was the connections, and had a son of Curlin (who's by Smart Strike, I believe), who had sire potential like his, I would offer Go Go 50k to run for second (assuming that was legal *cough*).

Upping. John, any word on what the connections have said/arranged with Go-Go?
    edited April 2013
    Wait, Uncaptured is the favorite @ 7/2? Oh brother.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure that you will see PM give up as much ground as it takes to have an unabated trip. Look for GoGo to start to angle PM out entering the far turn, or sooner? Hell, he may have things his own way on or near the front and can pick and choose his route, but you have to believe some longshot or two will be gunning for a stolen race, which never happens on the sticky shit? PM has enough natural speen to be in contention from the start and his dam side is chocked full of stamina/turf pedigree that he should be a major player all the way to the finish line. My gut opinion is that he will go off at around 9/2, the BRIS sheets have him ranked as the #1 play!
    edited April 2013
    Latest word!

Don't expect Palace Malice to be "Stymied from 5/16 to 1/16 !

As Dirty so noted, a running line comment from DRF not heretofore seen!
    edited April 2013
    Note that Palace Malice has been @ Keeneland before.... :yes:
    edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure that you will see PM give up as much ground as it takes to have an unabated trip.

I was glad to hear this; let's hope GG sticks to the plan.

Regarding his early speed, i agree in theory, but i'm kind of wondering what the hell happened to it. The first time i thought Rosie must've had a brain spasm (and really i still do), but when he dropped back again with Edgar (especially after what happened in the Risen Star), it kind of makes me wonder.

True that he rushed up just fine after that, but in my opinion that was probably a bit unnecessary, and if he had been closer earlier then he probbaly could've moved up outside instead of getting boxed along the rail. I just wonder what's going on with the horse these days. I do expect he'll put in a solid run today at a pretty sweet price, but where exactly he'll be coming from, i'm not quite sure. If he drops back again, then i think we're looking at a new normal.
    edited April 2013
    Derby here we come. Congrats JG.
    edited April 2013
    Not stymied today.
    edited April 2013
    Yes congrats. Wow Javas War was flying at the end
    edited April 2013
    I was glad to hear this; let's hope GG sticks to the plan.

Regarding his early speed, i agree in theory, but i'm kind of wondering what the hell happened to it. The first time i thought Rosie must've had a brain spasm (and really i still do), but when he dropped back again with Edgar (especially after what happened in the Risen Star), it kind of makes me wonder.

True that he rushed up just fine after that, but in my opinion that was probably a bit unnecessary, and if he had been closer earlier then he probbaly could've moved up outside instead of getting boxed along the rail. I just wonder what's going on with the horse these days. I do expect he'll put in a solid run today at a pretty sweet price, but where exactly he'll be coming from, i'm not quite sure. If he drops back again, then i think we're looking at a new normal.

Go Go will not do anything you tell him. Thank god he was behind Rydilluc into the lane. Didn't look like he beat on the horse either, so that's a positive.

Another important note here is that his running style is one that wins the Derby more often than not. Either way, lets hope he comes home sound, eats up and has Roses on his Mind.

Let's also not forget he's BIG TIME Team 24, and several of us have individual futures over 40-1.
    edited April 2013
    Beaten a head on the wire. Brutal. Just fucking brutal.

At least he ran well, and he actually had a pretty good trip this time. And congrats on meeting him into the Derby!

I've gotta be honest though. No one would be happier to see Palace Malice win the Derby (well, maybe John or Cot Campbell), but i'm not crazy about his chances in there. It looked to me like he was totally out of gas nearing the wire (he failed to switch leads, too), and that's why he got beat today. Hard to like his chances with the extra furlong tacked on, although it's possible it might be a different story on dirt (who knows). I hope i'm wrong, but that's what i saw.

In any event, so glad that our resident horse owner (and friend) has made it into the Derby. Very exciting. Congrats again!!!!
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Congrats JG and team dogwood on a great Bluegrass!

He put in a great effort like everyone thought he would do and was such a great race, love it when your horse is making a move in the stretch, no better feeling in gambling and then to get caught on the wire- balls. I hope everyone had a couple of bucks on him and was able to join in on the excitement.

It would be fun to see him run again in 3 weeks- and curious to see dogwoods reaction and commentary moving forward.

I'm on the PM train to Louisville!
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I watched the race on TV and it was an exciting one.....
    Just like to say that Jerry Bailey commented "As a Jockey, going into The Derby, that (Palice Malice) would be the horse I would get on".
    If he would have changed leads, there would have been no catching him...
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Watching the video, he does changes leads but 5 strides before the wire....
    edited April 2013
    I just got home from a long five days in Hot Springs and I wanted to say thanks to all for the kind words! I didn't sleep at all last night thinking about the chase for glory. I agree with DC that PM was a tired horse, but I think he fired early when he went after Rydellic, simply because GoGo knew he had to finish 1st or 2nd. The lead change thing is not that big of concern and I think he will figure that out on his own---especially when going longer. 2013 started out with early speed types---but has given way to closers such as Normandy Invasion, Java's Gold, and others who seem to be the "NOW HORSE". However, these closers(Giacomo notwithstanding) have to negotiate a 20 horse field, and that is not always easy to do? Team 24 is STILL ALIVE AND WELL!
  • thebox138thebox138 Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    congrats jg on making it to the ultimate big dance.... i second the BALLS getting nailed at the wire...
    edited April 2013
    I just got home from a long five days in Hot Springs and I wanted to say thanks to all for the kind words! I didn't sleep at all last night thinking about the chase for glory. I agree with DC that PM was a tired horse, but I think he fired early when he went after Rydellic, simply because GoGo knew he had to finish 1st or 2nd. The lead change thing is not that big of concern and I think he will figure that out on his own---especially when going longer. 2013 started out with early speed types---but has given way to closers such as Normandy Invasion, Java's Gold, and others who seem to be the "NOW HORSE". However, these closers(Giacomo notwithstanding) have to negotiate a 20 horse field, and that is not always easy to do? Team 24 is STILL ALIVE AND WELL!

100% agreed. But I didn't want to want to knock the guy, after he got you in the Derby.

IMO opinion it also solidifies the fact that he would have BLOWN the race open @ Fairgrounds if he got through, and might well have been less than 10-1 Derby Day.

As far as Palace Malice's running style, I'll bet he's in the back half of the Derby field.

Is Gomez committed to Vyjack? Or is he having second thoughts?

As far as Team 24, 8/5 ain't exactly right, but I guess it's gonna be like getting a 4 horse Entry with Orb and PM).
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    PM is a nice horse I would skip the Triple Crown & save him for Saratoga.
  • TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    John, great news on getting to the Derby. I am sure it will be a day you will long remember. Best of luck.

As for team 24, I count 12 of the 23 listed (in pool 1) are going to the Derby. That as I recall is a great deal more than last year's Future Pool 1.
    edited April 2013
    Trotman wrote: »
    John, great news on getting to the Derby. I am sure it will be a day you will long remember. Best of luck.

As for team 24, I count 12 of the 23 listed (in pool 1) are going to the Derby. That as I recall is a great deal more than last year's Future Pool 1.

Lol, feels a lot more like 16 to me. Either way, an abberation, and certainly a bad year to experiment, regardless of outcome. Injuries, and a lack of real late bloomers might be our demise, however I do have high hopes for 3 of my horses.
    edited April 2013
    Yeah. For whatever reason, it just seems like there are lot of horses from the Pool One list confirmed for the race. I feel like we have Orb, and not a whole lot else. What, the Sunland Derby winner? Java's War and Palace Malice? I guess not too bad considering that we get almost half the field including the probably second-favorite, but it seems like there hasn't been much attrition this year. Kind of a tough break for us with Hear The Ghost, too,
    edited April 2013
    Yeah. For whatever reason, it just seems like there are lot of horses from the Pool One list confirmed for the race. I feel like we have Orb, and not a whole lot else. What, the Sunland Derby winner? Java's War and Palace Malice? I guess not too bad considering that we get almost half the field including the probably second-favorite, but it seems like there hasn't been much attrition this year. Kind of a tough break for us with Hear The Ghost, too,

Java's War is listed buddy.

It's literally nothing, but again, the bet wasn't bad, injuries and horse maturity played key roles.