Lexington and Derby Trial

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited April 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Lexington III 1 1/16 M Points: 20-8-4-2
Derby Trial III 1 M Points: 20-8-4-2

You think we'll see anything crazy? Twenty points seems like a lot. Can't imagine Bobby doesn't take a few shots. He's only got Governor Chuck in right now.

Comments

• SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    I think it's cool those preps get points. The Lex has had some good Derby horses in recent years. Charismatic used it as a springboard to the Roses. Showing Up ran fairly well, but yeah not really the norm.

A few years ago (2005) Don't Get Mad won the Derby Trial and then a week later he looked like he was going to win the Kentucky Fricken Derby at the sixteenth pole but he flattened out and finished 4th.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Personally it baffles (and continues to anger) me that the Illinois Derby got boned and races like this get points. C'mon.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Personally it baffles (and continues to anger) me that the Illinois Derby got boned and races like this get points. C'mon.

C'mon is right. It should anger you, but not baffle you. Might have a little something to do with the fact that the track owner (Churchill Downs) picks the points races, if they don't own your track, fuck you, simple as that (not really, but yeah.)
    edited April 2013
    Here's one of the biggest positives from the points system (Stolen from BH):

The Risen Star averaged 11.50 starters in 2009 through 2012. This year, there were 12.

The Fountain of Youth averaged 8.75 starters during the same time period and drew nine starters this year.

The Gotham Stakes drew 9.75 on average the past four years and had 11 this year.

The Tampa Bay Derby averaged 9.25 starters between 2009 and 2012, and it had nine this year.

The San Felipe Stakes, the most lightly populated of the first five races, had 8.25 starters per year during the prior four years. Eight ran this year.

The Rebel Stakes averaged 9.25 and drew 11 starters this year.

The Spiral, formerly the Lane's End, had 12 starters this year, the maximum, and one more than it averaged the previous four years.

The Sunland Derby moved in the opposite direction with nine starters this year, one less than its prior four-year average.

The Florida Derby, surprisingly, only averageed 8.5 starters per year from 2009 to 2012. This year it had 10.

They really ran for the points in the Louisiana Derby, rising from an average of 11.75 to 14 starters this year.

The Wood Memorial made a similar move, growing from an average of 7.75 to 10 starters.

The Santa Anita Derby stayed pretty much in place. Eight ran this year after an average 8.75 the previous four.

The Toyota Blue Grass maxed out with 14 starters compared to an average 11.25 in the previous four years.

And the Arkansas Derby turned out much like the Santa Anita Derby. It had 10 starters last Saturday compared to a four-year average of 10.75 the previous four years.
    edited April 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Lexington III 1 1/16 M Points: 20-8-4-2
    Derby Trial III 1 M Points: 20-8-4-2

You think we'll see anything crazy? Twenty points seems like a lot. Can't imagine Bobby doesn't take a few shots. He's only got Governor Chuck in right now.

Rumorsare he might take a Code West or Powerbroker shot in Lexington, and enter Super 99 if he has the Derby point and hope it comes up wet.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    C'mon is right. It should anger you, but not baffle you. Might have a little something to do with the fact that the track owner (Churchill Downs) picks the points races, if they don't own your track, fuck you, simple as that (not really, but yeah.)

In reality it is even more complicated than that. Duchoissos (sp?) is the largest shareholder in CDI and also so happens to be the President of Arlington Park out here in Illinois. Arlington has been doing what they can to put Hawthorne out of business so they have control over revenue and meet dates (not to mention a home base for upcoming slots). So what better way than to knock out their premier race? Hats off to Hawthorne for making a valiant effort by pushing the race back and using it as a Preakness prep. I don't think the IL Derby deserved the equivalent points received for the Santa Anita, Wood, Arkansas, or Blue Grass, but this should at the very least be on the same level as the Lexington (I personally would make it the equivalent of the Sunland Derby).
    edited April 2013
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    In reality it is even more complicated than that. Duchoissos (sp?) is the largest shareholder in CDI and also so happens to be the President of Arlington Park out here in Illinois. Arlington has been doing what they can to put Hawthorne out of business so they have control over revenue and meet dates (not to mention a home base for upcoming slots). So what better way than to knock out their premier race? Hats off to Hawthorne for making a valiant effort by pushing the race back and using it as a Preakness prep. I don't think the IL Derby deserved the equivalent points received for the Santa Anita, Wood, Arkansas, or Blue Grass, but this should at the very least be on the same level as the Lexington (I personally would make it the equivalent of the Sunland Derby).

And here I was thinking you were baffled.