Need help with KD situation at OTB

Cougsrule5Cougsrule5 Junior Member
edited May 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
I know you fellow handicappers have had this problem, probably have it daily. My question is:
How do you avoid giving out handicapping information on your derby choices to people you are otherwise on friendly terms with, without hurting feelings or causing ill will among fellow horsemen?
I don't mind exchanging ideas with a couple of the guys there, whom I know have spent the same amount of hours I have poring over PPs,race replays,breeding, traffic issues,workouts etc on the Derby field. The ones I'm talking about are the guys who never go beyond a program and then want to see your form just for a minute or want you to give advice on their picks.
One of the guys in particular is a nice enough guy, but I'm not about to give out free info so he can make a buck, when I've put in 50+ hours handicapping this race.
Being really the only female handicapper at my OTB I dont want to be though of as a B**ch,most of the older guys at my OTB respect me and my work. I just dont want to have any ill will (bad juju).
Thanks for any answers and good luck all on Derby day. For sure there is money to be made this Derby.
Cougs

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Just tell them you don't have an opinion on the race. Problem solved.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    Start giving out losers and they'll stop asking!!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2013
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Start giving out losers and they'll stop asking!!

LMAO. I have a variant of this, when people I really don't like ask me for "inside info" (like I'm getting rich?) I make up elaborate fixed race stories involving horses with no chance. I've gone as far as betting a mule, showing the ticket, and subsequently canceling it. That will solve the issue for people you don't like. For your buddies or anybody tolerable, use DC's method.

I refuse to give my plays to people who scream at televisions. If you SCREAM I mean. I don't mind a little encouragement.

And honestly, lately I've found it a lot easier to just invest in Joel, why bother handicapping the race? Ron Anderson has already done it and put the best kid on the horse. Right?
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Just say '" I have private investors, who pay for my information and it would not be fair to them for me to be giving out my picks for free. My dad use to say " the horse who gets around the track first will win "