Derby Afterthoughts / Preakness Preview

dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
edited May 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
They kinda go hand in hand.

Departing is interesting if he goes in the Preakness.

Orb has more tactical speed, and has Shug as confident as he could be. Honestly, his Derby run didn't seem to beat him up, more of an extended jog.

Normandy Invasion, Will Take Charge, and to a lesser extent Oxbow ran better than looked races.

Rosie did well with Mylute, who looked like shit on the track.

They reportedly paid 250k to bring Lines of Battle in transportation fees.

Honestly, a Triple Crown after a World Cup would be spectacular.

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    If I had access to futures, I would have bet Anything -200 v Vyjack. He was hopeless, and we all knew it. No juice, terrible post, only raced at AQU, horrible appearance and works, and Gomez's apparent lack of interest. Not redboarding, I wasn't in Vegas and had no access. In fact, I actually had to stroll up from the beach and watch NBC after TVG mobile repeatedly failed. I'm actually glad I took in the telecast (and glad I wasn't there).
    edited May 2013
    Looking back, Palace Malice was good on points after the Risen Star. Crazy.
  • JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
    edited May 2013
    Will Take Charge is certainly one to watch for, he seemed to be coming stride for stride with Orb, until a tiring Verrazano impeded him and he checked up. Heard that so far, Oxbow, Goldencents, Vyack, Mylute, and Itsmyluckyday are all pointing towards the Preakness. I would have to assume Baffert is going to point Governor Charlie in that direction as well.
    edited May 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »

Orb has more tactical speed, and has Shug as confident as he could be. Honestly, his Derby run didn't seem to beat him up, more of an extended jog.

Normandy Invasion, Will Take Charge, and to a lesser extent Oxbow ran better than looked races.

I've watched a couple times now. I'm not sure Joel was ever panicked. Maybe going into the first turn, praying for pace, but after that, a very confident ride, he could have reeled in a leader that was another 10 clear IMO. While that's only an opinion, it does translate to the opinion he could run almost 2 seconds faster.

FB - how good is Departing?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Confirmed Derby starters in Preakness so far...

Orb
    Goldencents
    Oxbow
    Normandy Invasion
    Vyjack
    Will Take Charge

Still possible:

Itsmyluckyday
    Mylute
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    The two best chances of beating Orb are Normandy Invasion and Departing.

Normandy moved way too early in the Derby and was empty in the final furlong, but with changed tactics he might (I said might) be able to match strides with Orb.

Departing has the looks of a real racehorse. He was solid in the Louisiana Derby, gaining on the leaders, and very authoritative in Illinois. It won't hurt that he comes in off 4 weeks of rest instead of 2.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't discount Goldencents at all yet.
    Are we this quick to forget the way he returned in the Santa Anita Derby after his other poor performance this year after being on a suicidal pace? Depending on how the race eventually draws up, he'll likely be semi-forgotten after his derby effort and can bounce back in a big way.

Departing clearly brings a lot to the table off his huge effort out here in Illinois, and quite frankly I would love nothing more than to shove it in CDI's face when an Illinois Derby runner wins or at least hits the board in a triple crown race (although I can see them using that as an argument that the race better serves as a Preakness prep).

Either way it looks to be a competitive field heading to Maryland and we should be in for a good race.
  • JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
    edited May 2013
    John Velazquez to ride IMLD in the preakness, according to Plesa, that may be another horse who can bounce back big here. And i'm with FL, can not overlook Goldencents here on a fast Pimlico track, and with the addition of Titletown 5, if Krigger can keep him off the lead, he can come back in a BIG way here.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    SirBear wrote: »
    The two best chances of beating Orb are Normandy Invasion and Departing.

Normandy moved way too early in the Derby and was empty in the final furlong, but with changed tactics he might (I said might) be able to match strides with Orb.

Departing has the looks of a real racehorse. He was solid in the Louisiana Derby, gaining on the leaders, and very authoritative in Illinois. It won't hurt that he comes in off 4 weeks of rest instead of 2.

Orb is in good form/shape the only1 that can beat Orb is Orb himself,
    other then that no other horse is gonna beat him and i dont see any1 that race the KD139
    beating him in the Preakness so all new commers line up for Orb Invasion.
    i see him in the future winning 3 or 4 more races
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    I've watched a couple times now. I'm not sure Joel was ever panicked. Maybe going into the first turn, praying for pace, but after that, a very confident ride, he could have reeled in a leader that was another 10 clear IMO. While that's only an opinion, it does translate to the opinion he could run almost 2 seconds faster.

FB - how good is Departing?

He is a very quality colt, but at this time Orb is a class by him self. This colt is just starting to get good. He has plenty of bottom as he was brought along very slow. That is why Shug was so high when the worked over the CH surface, us who played him in the Ky Derby will never get 5/1 the rest of his career.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Has there been an announcement on why Verrazano isn't being considered? Makes me think of that ankle thing again...
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Gemologist redux. Off the board in the Haskell and then retired. :angry:
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Has there been an announcement on why Verrazano isn't being considered? Makes me think of that ankle thing again...

Super Feed programs never do well in the spot light. TAP is the biggest cheats in the horse racing industry and that is why he is 1/36 in the Kentucky Derby. This guy gets the CREAM of THE CROP each year and still only has one Kentucky Derby win to his credit. His feed program is the BEST out there because of his resources.
  • george8klgeorge8kl Junior Member
    edited May 2013
    Hindsight is 20/20, but if you saw Verrazano walking back to the barn after the Wood, his right front foot looked ouchy - the horse picked it up as if it was bothering him.
    I saw this on the live tv coverage, but you can see this kind of thing in person by watching the horses after the race - a few extra minutes spent by the outside rail can prove helpful for future reference.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    another1 drops out of the Preakness Vyjack...
    only 9Runners comfirm as of now
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Read vyjack is headed to the turf maybe????suppose to get into the 80's for the rest of the week here in Baltimore..
    edited May 2013

I wasn't on him today, but we had him picked out as a runner. Another year of no Triple Crown (if I had to guess, Draynay jumped ship to Orb).

How about Gary winning a couple big ones today? I honestly thought he was headed to portland meadows.
    edited May 2013
    I wasn't on him today, but we had him picked out as a runner. Another year of no Triple Crown (if I had to guess, Draynay jumped ship to Orb).

How about Gary winning a couple big ones today? I honestly thought he was headed to portland meadows.

And after 2 more looks, my buddy Joel deserves a trip to Portland Meadows. Stuck on a dead rail, shy'ed out the opening... Oh well. Didn't even bet, just wanted to see a TC winner for classy connex.

Several nice plays from @FBwinners today, as well. Shout out Kenny.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    The Dixie/ Preakness double for Stevens and Lukas for about 557 bones..slow pace but mylute ran his eyeballs out..