Preakness wagering question?

MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
edited May 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
My account has a prop Orb will not win Preakness -110. The question I ask should I put up $1000 on no at -110 and then play Orb to win in the racebook for $1050? Worst I could do is -50 is Orb loses but if he wins and pays say $3.00 I would still end up winning $475. Or should I just play the $1050 on him to place or show and hope he gets beat but still makes the board? Am I missing something here with this wager?

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Also note my max on a prop is $1000. Also found it somewhere else at -120 but does - 120 still offer any value?
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    My account has a prop Orb will not win Preakness -110. The question I ask should I put up $1000 on no at -110 and then play Orb to win in the racebook for $1050? Worst I could do is -50 is Orb loses but if he wins and pays say $3.00 I would still end up winning $475. Or should I just play the $1050 on him to place or show and hope he gets beat but still makes the board? Am I missing something here with this wager?

LOL. Write it down on a piece of paper, and figure it out. My brain is fried.
    edited May 2013
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    LOL. Write it down on a piece of paper, and figure it out. My brain is fried.

Ha ha yeah kinda figured that, my brain was toast after writing it
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    You are missing something. There is no way a book would offer the ability to profit off betting both ends (if there is, it'll be yanked soon).

I'm having a hard time interpreting what exactly you are saying. Do they have a future wager on Orb to win that is over 6/5? Otherwise this a losing bet.

The way my book has it:
    Orb won't win (9/10)
    Orb wins (10/11)

Both wagers are very similar in nature, but both are under a positive return if bet both ways. This way, if they receive equal money on both wagers, the house makes money (the way books set it up).

You can try to take the NO (-110) wager now and gamble that you will get over even money on Orb, but I dont see that happening. When it seems to good to be true, most of the time it is.
    edited May 2013
    A quick breakdown for you using your math.

$1000 Orb Loses Preakness (-110).
    $1000 Orb Wins (using your 1/2 odds projection of a $3 win payout).

If Orb wins, you will be returned $1500 for a loss of $500 ($1k on each bet, +$500 on one bet, -$1,000 on the other).

If Orb loses, you will be returned $1900 for a loss of $100 ($1k on each bet, +$900 on one bet, -$1,000 on the other),

You would need Orb to go off (or find a future for him) @ odds of 6/5 (+120) or better to cut a profit, and a profit will only be made if Orb wins.

In other words, its a lose/lose scenario.
    edited May 2013
    Thanks yeah I knew I was missing something somewhere damn. Have a $100 wager on any horse to win triple crown at 7-1 from derby day so I can hedge a bit with that. Thanks
    edited May 2013
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    A quick breakdown for you using your math.

$1000 Orb Loses Preakness (-110).
    $1000 Orb Wins (using your 1/2 odds projection of a $3 win payout).

If Orb wins, you will be returned $1500 for a loss of $500 ($1k on each bet, +$500 on one bet, -$1,000 on the other).

If Orb loses, you will be returned $1900 for a loss of $100 ($1k on each bet, +$900 on one bet, -$1,000 on the other),

You would need Orb to go off (or find a future for him) @ odds of 6/5 (+120) or better to cut a profit, and a profit will only be made if Orb wins.

In other words, its a lose/lose scenario.

This is why I make reality TV and you'll be president.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    This is why I'm going to retire and Nates going to be President!

I can't wait till he shows up next year at the Lexington seminar on Derby week. I'll embaress the shit out of him!

I'm checking in this year at around 7:30 and some young KU coeds are doing the check in. One babe looks at me and says "We have complimentary lap desks available in the next room." Without missing a beat, I informed her that I would be first in line for a complimentary LAP DANCE! Your hearing is one of the many things to go when age sets in. When I realized my misunderstanding, I told the girl that I need to get my mind out of the gutter, to which she agreed. Damn Kentucky republican conservatives!

Didn't have my mind out of the gutter today when at Belmont Park in the 7th, #8 YES, IT'S PINK, fell way off and came on with a huge late run to get to the wire in a most impressive run. Thanks FB! Only paid $5.90 but it was only play of the day. It was my Larry Flynt mojo play!
    edited May 2013
    This is why I'm going to retire and Nates going to be President!

I can't wait till he shows up next year at the Lexington seminar on Derby week. I'll embaress the shit out of him!

I'm checking in this year at around 7:30 and some young KU coeds are doing the check in. One babe looks at me and says "We have complimentary lap desks available in the next room." Without missing a beat, I informed her that I would be first in line for a complimentary LAP DANCE! Your hearing is one of the many things to go when age sets in. When I realized my misunderstanding, I told the girl that I need to get my mind out of the gutter, to which she agreed. Damn Kentucky republican conservatives!

Didn't have my mind out of the gutter today when at Belmont Park in the 7th, #8 YES, IT'S PINK, fell way off and came on with a huge late run to get to the wire in a most impressive run. Thanks FB! Only paid $5.90 but it was only play of the day. It was my Larry Flynt mojo play!

Yes It's Pink in the pink saddle cloth. If your mind was really in the gutter you would have been on Bares Tripper @ HP.
  • okjac12okjac12 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    He Won't Even Place !
  • okjac12okjac12 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    INTERESTING WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE ORB QUESTION? wE ALL KNOW HE WILL LOSE... THIS IS MARYLAND...pLEASE!!!
    edited May 2013
    This is why I make reality TV and you'll be president.

Can you get me on survivor?
    edited May 2013
    Can you get me on survivor?

If you're camera friendly (or have a personality quirk), pass a psych test, background test, STD test, and ready to say anything your producer wants (while signing an non-disclosure agree, and an agreement to use your image and or voice forever, and in any way), then sure.

My advice is stay away. Or if you don't want the STD test do a cable show.
    edited May 2013
    okjac12 wrote: »
    INTERESTING WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE ORB QUESTION? wE ALL KNOW HE WILL LOSE... THIS IS MARYLAND...pLEASE!!!

71337_wat.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Does that STD test consist of the Q tip test? What about Amazing Race? Friend of mine did it a few years and said it was the best experience of his life
    edited May 2013
    Does that STD test consist of the Q tip test? What about Amazing Race? Friend of mine did it a few years and said it was the best experience of his life

To be honest with you, that's one show I've heard good things about. They also treat the crew very well, and have retained a lot of good people and paid them well. I would imagine they treat the contestants in a similar matter. Survivor is actually very similar, although I've heard a few horror stories.

I'm not big on watching TV (I guess when you spend half the week looking at monitors in an office, and half watching monitors in an OTB, you wouldn't be), but the few times I've watched Amazing Race, I really enjoyed it. It's hard for me to watch any series, I need one-offs or stand alone segments (or Jeopardy) to get interested.

I tend to be involved with a little younger, more current shows, that are often less planned out, but made for much less money and higher profit (MTV, VH1, SPIKE, OXYGEN, etc). I'm not in it for the art, I'm in it for the money.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited May 2013
    okjac12 wrote: »
    :laughing:
    Orb invasion @ Maryland,
    i see your a Non-Believer
    a prop Orb will not win Preakness -110

This Prop is bad, stay away from it." that prop will never happen it has no value"

This is good value with this field of 9
    Orb =W
    Orb/All ex.key (get pd 20x ex./=320 or something like this from a 1k BR

and you can get a good price on the DD All/Orb this is the only time he places 2nd
    in the near future:toast:
    I'm gonna handicap the race with-in the next 24hrs like i said i just glanced at it.
    the lock is all/orb

edited May 2013
    To be honest with you, that's one show I've heard good things about. They also treat the crew very well, and have retained a lot of good people and paid them well. I would imagine they treat the contestants in a similar matter. Survivor is actually very similar, although I've heard a few horror stories.

I'm not big on watching TV (I guess when you spend half the week looking at monitors in an office, and half watching monitors in an OTB, you wouldn't be), but the few times I've watched Amazing Race, I really enjoyed it. It's hard for me to watch any series, I need one-offs or stand alone segments (or Jeopardy) to get interested.

I tend to be involved with a little younger, more current shows, that are often less planned out, but made for much less money and higher profit (MTV, VH1, SPIKE, OXYGEN, etc). I'm not in it for the art, I'm in it for the money.

Jersey Shore?
    edited May 2013
    Jersey Shore?

Made me a decent chunk of change.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah buddy! Pauly D lol
    edited May 2013
    Yeah buddy! Pauly D lol

Really amazing 8 kids have generated over 2 billion worldwide. I never got a huge piece, but I'll have the same seat at the track until I die.
    edited May 2013
    Prob the only thing my state was ever known for: Pauly D
    edited May 2013
    KP-HR2k9 wrote: »
    :laughing:
    Orb invasion @ Maryland,
    i see your a Non-Believer

This Prop is bad, stay away from it." that prop will never happen it has no value"

This is good value with this field of 9
    Orb =W
    Orb/All ex.key (get pd 20x ex./=320 or something like this from a 1k BR

and you can get a good price on the DD All/Orb this is the only time he places 2nd
    in the near future:toast:
    I'm gonna handicap the race with-in the next 24hrs like i said i just glanced at it.
    the lock is all/orb

For what it's worth to the forum, I find this to be a horrible investment based on the pimlico special double. While the likelihood of cashing is quite high, the likelihood off making a fair profit is horrendous. You are basically praying for a bomb to hit on the first leg of the double or that a horse like title town five hangs on for second. When a more likely favorite wins the first leg or a horse like departing runs second you will lose money or make a minimal profit.
    edited May 2013
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    For what it's worth to the forum, I find this to be a horrible investment based on the pimlico special double. While the likelihood of cashing is quite high, the likelihood off making a fair profit is horrendous. You are basically praying for a bomb to hit on the first leg of the double or that a horse like title town five hangs on for second. When a more likely favorite wins the first leg or a horse like departing runs second you will lose money or make a minimal profit.

And you're subject to higher take-out for having no opinion.