JG (or others) Question on partnerships

DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
edited June 2013 in Horse Racing Forum
Wanted to pick your brain and get some info on getting involved in a partnership, and maybe even dogwood or any other recomendations. As a follower for years of horse racing and always having the dream of owning one, i have turned to looking at a partnership as an entry point into the sport without sucha huge financial burden. With keeping a horse in training costing some where on the low end of 50k upwards from there, what is a realastic investment one would need to get involved in a partnership? And yes knowing that its for the enjoyment and thrill then an investment. Is there a minium % one needs to buy of a horse? Not that you or anyone else has to give specifics about your own endevours, just curious on getting some information on where to start and mabe a realistic intitial investment and a realistic number for ongoing expenses. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    Duckgawd wrote: »
    Wanted to pick your brain and get some info on getting involved in a partnership, and maybe even dogwood or any other recomendations. As a follower for years of horse racing and always having the dream of owning one, i have turned to looking at a partnership as an entry point into the sport without sucha huge financial burden. With keeping a horse in training costing some where on the low end of 50k upwards from there, what is a realastic investment one would need to get involved in a partnership? And yes knowing that its for the enjoyment and thrill then an investment. Is there a minium % one needs to buy of a horse? Not that you or anyone else has to give specifics about your own endevours, just curious on getting some information on where to start and mabe a realistic intitial investment and a realistic number for ongoing expenses. Thanks in advance.

Your questions are quite difficult to answer with any level of specificity. A partnership or syndicate is a fine way to enter horse ownership, but make sure you know and trust those whom you are getting involved with. As a minority owner, you likely won't have too much say when it comes to decisions regarding a horse's race path.

Initial investment? Completely depends. You can find a group throwing in on a 10 claimer,or investing in a horse for a stable buying half a million dollar horses. Crunch your numbers, find out how much you are willing (and financially able) to invest initially and a yearly budget to maintain for stable fees, vet bills, etc. Remember, a lot of unexpected things may arise.

Make sure to get everything in writing detailing your level of involvement, what types of fees you are responsible for, what happens if the horse is sold, etc. There are a LOT of variables (again, going back to trusting those you are getting involved with). Good luck to you and hopefully you invest in the next Palace Malice!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    Back when I got hooked up with Dogwood Stable, there were not a whole bunch of partnership outfits. Now, it seems that a new outfit comes along every other day. Every thing said above by Flyin Late is right on point. Know and trust who you are getting in bed with.

Another point is whether you are getting a horse who is race ready, or one who will require more time and training. They all have the same costs.

The traditional partnerships like Dogwood sell a 1/4 share, or something like 23.25%, and the managing partner retains around 5%. Once the horse goes into training with a trainer, you are hit with a "Daily Rate", which can vary depending on your choice of trainers and where they are located. Naturally, it costs less to have a horse at the lesser tracks than it does to stable at Palm Meadows or Keeneland.

FWIT, the biggest change over the past 10 years or so has been the Vet bills. They have really gotten out of hand. Other costs are not as bad, but you need to remember that you are responsible for all costs, including the operating expenses for the managing partner. This is where it can become hairy, especially if you have a managing partner who looks at his partners investment as a subsidy for his life style. I won't mention names, but I did hear someone mention a guy named Barry?

Now a days, you can get involved with a first rate outfit for as little as 5%, sometimes lower. But you are probably getting a chance to have a real racehorse, something bred 5x to Mr. P/Northern Dancer bloodlines.

The flip side is getting in at a much lower level and having fun. You won't have much of a shot at running at the highest levels, but you can still have fun and your investment won't become a financial disaster if everything turns south. This is what I am doing now and its why I'm on the lookout for claimers who could be competitive this winter at Oaklawn. Let me know if anything looks good!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    I have looked into it for over 10 years now, and the reason I havent' jumped in as of now is the MAIN CONCERN JG and Flyin has stated. TRUST factor!!!! This game has become even more SHADY at this time than ever. I'm around numerous people in this game and many are my clients for a very long time. I cannot tell you how many horror stories I have been told. As JG stated I would get in at a very low investment from the outset. It looks to me that the investment gain is buying a baby and raising it to sell back. I know some people that have made a nice living at this for sometime now. Another option.

GL, Kenny
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for your input- I dont have any contacts at the tracks, I go up to fort Erie a few times a month and woodbine about once or twice a year. The research I've been doing was focused on NY partnerships becausei live in NY and I would make the trip out to the track to see him/her run a couple times a year. I was originally thinking initial investment of around 15 and ongoing expenses (just the usual daily rate, vet, shoe) a year with my share 6 to 7k. Was expecting much no more then 10 percent and def. doing for the love and fun of the sport. I am now going to look for something simple and on the cheaper side to learn and meet new people. Some times the best way to learn is to do it right? I appreciate all your guys input and look forward to getting into the game on a new level.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    The sad thing about this game is a 5K claimer cost the same to maintain as a Grad 1 horse or probably more as there aren't as sound by that time of the game. I highly suggest mingle around and meet people wth experience in the owning side. I might do it one day, but it's highly unlikely. I wanted to claim a horse named Mycitytip at the FG this past year. She was running or 7500 and I asked a trainer (Well Known) and he told me she wasn't worth it. So I passed and that day she ran 2nd by a scant nose. The connections wheeld her back and she ran 2nd again by a nose. Then next time out she ran for double and ran 2nd again, then they ran her back for 12500 and she won. What do I know!!!!!! They really has put a sour taste in my mouth.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    Just don't go into it expecting to win. Have your mind made up that the money is spent - and do it for the sport. If you happen to turn a profit - great.