Joel Rosario to ride Strong Mandate in SW

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited February 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
Agent Ron Anderson was at Oaklawn Park the other day to meet with Lukas and watch Strong Mandate work. He was impressed, as was everyone else, and Joel gets the "BIG ONE" for the Coach.

High crusing speed and stamina to get the classic distance. Lukas will have 3 races to get the points, and he will not be rested coming into the first Saturday in May. Probably won't be fully cranked up until Rebel or Ark Derby, and the SW is probably a little short for his best? Strong Mandate will be 3/5 in SW.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    2014 Southwest Stakes (G3) 1 1/16 m, Dirt; 3 MHorse
    Trainer
    Status
    Comment
    Posted By

Fire Starter S. Hobby Possible Paladin
    Chitu B. Baffert Probable ryanfarnsley
    Coastline M. Casse Probable Paladin
    Paganol C. Autrey Probable Paladin
    Louies Flower W. Calhoun Probable Paladin
    Bourbonize K. Gorder Possible Paladin
    Tapiture S. Asmussen Probable Paladin
    Tanzanite Cat C. Autrey Probable EvanAnouna
    Walt C. Hartman Probable EvanAnouna
    Ride On Curlin W. Gowan Probable Paladin
    Strong Mandate D. Lukas Probable
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    . Lukas will have 3 races to get the points, and he will not be rested coming into the first Saturday in May.

What Lukas horse is ever rested? :yes:
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    This guy is going to be a real player..surprised Stevens didn't get the call.
    edited February 2014
    Lukas isn't the kind to fall in love with a jock--he has employed several this year already at Oaklawn.

Rosario had the mount on Strong Mandate in the BC race--where he led till mid-stretch when passed and dug in and still finished well. You gotta love the way Joel finishes a race!

Many folks at OP thought Baffert was bringing in the speedy Chitu for the SW--but now it looks like he will set the pace in the Lewis on Saturday at SA. For some reason --only 6 running in this race--and if Chitu came south it would leave a field of 5 or less. I think Baffert owes it to SA to put on a show--even if it's HIS show.
    edited February 2014
    I've read where some of the people over at Bloodhorse and other talking heads don't like Strong Mandate because he lacks a bloodline to Mr. Prospector. Nevertheless, he is crossed several times to Northern Dancer, and ones with this cross are usually very good athletes with better than average heads about them.

Tapiture has been working like a beast down in New Orleans, and locals at OP really like the new Autrey horse, Paganol, who is said to look the part of a true miler.

Its way too early to tell, but I have the feeling that at least one TC race winer will be lining up in the SW?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    rayphil wrote: »

Gary on his KY Derby mount tomorrow, in Candy Boy for Sadler. But it's early, the jock switching is still to come. I'm curious to see if Saez gets to keep the mount on CP in coming months!!!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    rayphil wrote: »

Candy Boy galloped out very strongly. "He's my number one draft choice," said @HRTVGary