Southwest Stakes

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited March 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
I have been on the backside for the past 3 days. Alot of time at the track kitchen talking to trainers, and the one thing I keep hearing is that horses need a race over the Oaklawn surface.

Race 9 Southwest Stakes G3 $300k 1 1/16 3yo

It can be argued that the best two horses are #7 Strong Mandate, 2-1---and #2 Tapiture, 3-1, but neither have a race over the track. However, Strong Mandate has taken to the OP strip like a duck to water. Tapiture has been working like a beast down in NOLA, but he is one that might find the OP track a little tiring, but I learned a long time ago to never discount the Assman.

Cody Autrey sends out a couple, #1 Tanzanite Cat & 1A Paganol, and generous ml of 8-1. CNAK comes in to ride TC, and he has the good Smarty Jones win over the surface. #1A Paganol, has an impressive win over the track and is one that really looks good. Both of these may be in a little deep today with the expected pace set-up, but I'm learning that you have to use anything Super feed trainer sends out.

#3 Coastline, 8-1, burned my money in the Smarty Jones , where he ran a dull 3rd all the way around. However, Mark Casse thinks he is for real and was flattered when his PMM workmate came back to run a very good 2nd in last stakes race. Casse thinks the fact that he has a race at OP is huge, and thinks he will be coming down the lane late and if the speed comes back, which is possible, he can be right there.

A case can be made for every horse in this race, but you can't play them all!!

TRI BOX 1--2--3--7

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Comments

• Race606Race606 Junior Member
    edited February 2014
    I like Strong Mandate...if he can clear early I don't think they will catch him...speed has been holding well last 2 days..

I handicap mostly by pedigree in these 3yr old races so look for something well bred to outrun his odds.

7/11,1,2,8
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    Once again, Coastline was going to be an easy 3rd behind Tapiture and Strong Mandate when he just quit running and took fourth by a nostril, knocked us out of a tri which would have paid close to $100.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    I think Joel will be back in Hot Springs, but on Kobes Back instead of Strong Mandate!!! What you all think!!! Strong Mandate looked green down the lane or he is sore somewhere with that right left running style through the lane. Slow time and fractions throughout the race. This bunch needs major improvement over the next several months to be competitive moving forward.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    Just watched the race. I just watched SM and he broke slow then went 6 wide around first turn then got checked. Joel pulled him out and he kind of took off 4 wide and then went 3 wide around 2nd turn and IMO he was just toast by this point. I'll give him a play back but his odds better got up.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I think Joel will be back in Hot Springs, but on Kobes Back instead of Strong Mandate!!! What you all think!!! Strong Mandate looked green down the lane or he is sore somewhere with that right left running style through the lane. Slow time and fractions throughout the race. This bunch needs major improvement over the next several months to be competitive moving forward.[/QUOTE]

I think you will see all of these move up in the next race. The Calif horses look like they are on tilt NOW, like May 3rd 2014 is 3 or 4 weeks away. Given the fact that Bourbonize drew outside in the 12 hole and had a terrible trip, I think he showed alot--and he is one I will be looking at next out (it sure as hell won't be Coastline!)
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I think Joel will be back in Hot Springs, but on Kobes Back instead of Strong Mandate!!! What you all think!!! Strong Mandate looked green down the lane or he is sore somewhere with that right left running style through the lane. Slow time and fractions throughout the race. This bunch needs major improvement over the next several months to be competitive moving forward.[/QUOTE]

I think you will see all of these move up in the next race. The Calif horses look like they are on tilt NOW, like May 3rd 2014 is 3 or 4 weeks away. Given the fact that Bourbonize drew outside in the 12 hole and had a terrible trip, I think he showed alot--and he is one I will be looking at next out (it sure as hell won't be Coastline!)

I was on Bourbonizy myself yesterday, didn't exactly shape up. Have to agree with FB though, wasn't too impressive of a bunch. None of the "new" horses stepped up to the plate and the favorite needs more mental than physical help at this point it seems.
    edited March 2014
    This is from this morning at oaklawn..

@ClockerDH: @DRFRampellini Relaxed early alone.Unscheduled(?) mate late. Tough to pull up on gallop. Very healthy. Will he relax w/horse in front early?
    edited March 2014
    ^^^^^^^ that's from strong mandates work.