Rebel Stakes

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited March 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
All my input is subject to change pending the draw Wednesday morning.

Jock Joel Rosario had his choice---stay with Strong Mandate or go with newcomer Kobe's Back. As of now, he stays with Strong Mandate, and Jose Lezcano gets on Kobe's Back, which is a little unusual considering that Sadler is the West Coast guy. Nevertheless, super jock agent Ron Anderson made the call for Joel, and this will make Strong Mandate and Tapiture co-favs in the race. Value galore on Kobe's Back, but he has no races or works over OP surface?

Too close to call, but as of now, I'll play a 4 horse tri & super with Tapiture, Strong Mandate, Kobe's Back, and throw in Bourbonize and hope he gets a better trip than he had in the Southwest.!
More to follow?

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Kobe's back is the only future wager I put in this year, so hoping for the best.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    John what kind of odds am I going to get on strong mandate? In the Rebel.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    rayphil wrote: »
    John what kind of odds am I going to get on strong mandate? In the Rebel.

5/2 or 3/1 at post!!
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Went back last night and watched the southwest. while tapiture looked impressive, his trip compared to strong mandate was a piece of cake. as of right now i will key strong mandate in top 2 spot of tri. could all change after tomorrow morning's draw.
    edited March 2014
    I agree, SM had a brutal trip and Tapiture got the dream trip. One thing to note was the erratic stretch run from SM, they are saying green, but in my eyes he looked sore weaving over that course that day. I wouldn't be alarmed about it now as he was worked real well out of that race. But I think that day in the Southwest besides the trip he was sore somewhere!! He never showed that type of erratic stretch run in his prior races.

GL, FB!
    edited March 2014
    Some good insight FB!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Went back last night and watched the southwest. while tapiture looked impressive, his trip compared to strong mandate was a piece of cake. as of right now i will key strong mandate in top 2 spot of tri. could all change after tomorrow morning's draw.

Who else you using, King?

Calvin got the boot off of Ride On Curlin, but he gets the mount on the Street Sense colt. Kent desormeoux gets on son of Curlin.

I was impressed with the way Bourbonize finished in the SW, especially after being drawn wide and being forced to fall back and come thru traffic.

Naturally, I'll be trackside Friday and saturday. Call me on my cell phone.
    edited March 2014
    Well i just got word hoppertunity is coming with mike smith to ride. i'll have to go watch his last few again. I'll call you. have a rebel stakes breakfast party saturday morning. you in the carousel this weekend?
    edited March 2014
    Usual table in the Oaklawn Club Bar.
    I took a bad fall last week on the ice. As a result, I need all the comforts I can get! If I am able, I'll go over Saturday morning and hang with Matt from McPeek barn and Brad Cox, try to get the latest backside news!
    I usually get to the kitchen around 5:30 or so. Come out if you can!
    edited March 2014
    Hoppertunity didn't show much in the Risin Star, but he was wide the entire trip, and I mean wide by a lot!
    He worked yesterday at Santa Anita, getting 5 in 1:00.20. But you know Bullet Bob wouldn't be sending him if he didn't think he was ready. A $300k Keeneland purchase by Peagram and the usual gang, by Any Given Saturday. He'll be tough to leave out of the exotics!
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    The ride Hoppertunity was given in the Risen Star by Garcia was awful. Wide as you stated amongst other things. Though I think the 1 1 /16 is a bit short for this colt, I expect a much better ride from Smith.

By sending him to OP, Baffert can get another prep into him before the KD. He will love every part of the 1 1/4 at CD!
    edited March 2014
    I read a lot of positives about Hoppertunity, he's going to need a pace melt down to win a graded race. He just looks like a slow horse to me! In lieu of Code West / Den's Legacy from last year. This is a 2nd - 3rd tier runner for Bullet Bob.
  • SamN13SamN13 Junior Member
    edited March 2014
    Little off topic, but do you still own stakes in Palace Malice? Loved this horse since his 2 year old year and was on him all last year. Loved that he came back for his 4 year old year, he looked awesome in the Gulfstream Handicap thought he was beat twice and he came back and won it like a true champion. I think he'll be a huge contender in the handicap division this year. Best of luck!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2014
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Kobe's back is the only future wager I put in this year, so hoping for the best.

Interesting horse to be certain. Good luck with him.
    edited March 2014
    SamN13 wrote: »
    Little off topic, but do you still own stakes in Palace Malice? Loved this horse since his 2 year old year and was on him all last year. Loved that he came back for his 4 year old year, he looked awesome in the Gulfstream Handicap thought he was beat twice and he came back and won it like a true champion. I think he'll be a huge contender in the handicap division this year. Best of luck!

Lot of changes at Dogwood Stable---the only partnership which I have a major ownership interest in is a un-raced 3yo by Tapit---MORSE--who is on the road to maybe being a racehorse--but who knows? I stand to benefit from Palace Malice--but my interest is marginal. Too long of story to get into! Thanks for asking, and GO MORSE!!!
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Lot of changes at Dogwood Stable---the only partnership which I have a major ownership interest in is a un-raced 3yo by Tapit---MORSE--who is on the road to maybe being a racehorse--but who knows? I stand to benefit from Palace Malice--but my interest is marginal. Too long of story to get into! Thanks for asking, and GO MORSE!!!

JG. You sent me an email a day or two back, it was blank. Text me if you need something! My buddy John (the one you met a couple times) is getting married soon. He's expecting your return to Illinois for his bachelor party!
    edited March 2014
    OH NO.
    another trip to skankville in the party bus===with a stop-over at Chicago Police Station?

Can't wait!