Louisiana Derby play for Saturday (Mar 29)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
Fair Grounds - Race 11

#9 In Trouble (4/1 ml)

Gave this guy out way back @ Saratoga last year, as he had worked with a stakes winner and an allowance winner heading into his 2yo debut (and winning @ $17.20). He then won the Futurity @ Belmont before injuring himself and going on the shelf until earlier this month, when he went straight into the 1 1/16-mile Gotham Stakes off the long layoff (while making his two-turn debut, no less), and running a bang-up race where he set the pace to upper stretch and then was dead-game along the rail despite being in extremely tight quarters, pressed down on the rail by two other horses and even getting bumped around pretty soundly in midstretch. The horse just wouldn't give an inch, and when doing this under such adverse circumstances (not only the tough stretch trip, but making his two-turn debut in the Gotham Stakes while coming off a 5-month layoff), i couldn't really be more impressed with his desire to win. He figures to have gotten a ton out of that race, and btw, just the fact that he was thrown into that spot first time back by a razor-sharp trainer like Anthony Dutrow really speaks to how much confidence he must have in this colt. I suspect we're going to a nice move forward today, as long as he handles the new surface (and with 3 fine races over 3 different racetracks so far, that doesn't seem like a huge issue).

HRT record:

95 for 355 (27%)

$813.10 mutuels ($8.56 avg)

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    No fire from this guy today.checking in 5th. That track is tough to get a gauge on..I would go with the ark derby over fair grounds. I don't think this race is going to produce the derby winner..
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    I was on this one today as well. He had some issues early but no gas turning for home. If there's anybody I see doing some damage going forward it's the #7, Commanding curve. This guy took a suspicious amount of money and ran on very well. Should he sneak in the derby field, I'll have him on my tickets.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2014
    He ran okay, but not what i was hoping for, obviously.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    I was on this one today as well. He had some issues early but no gas turning for home. If there's anybody I see doing some damage going forward it's the #7, Commanding curve. This guy took a suspicious amount of money and ran on very well. Should he sneak in the derby field, I'll have him on my tickets.

Same connections as Golden Soul that ran 2nd in the Ky Derby last year out of a 4th place finish in the La. Derby. I was all in on Vicars In Trouble after watching how the track played throughout the day.