Opinions on DwF and Medal Count

JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
edited April 2014 in Horse Racing Forum
Looking for some of your opinions on these 2 runners. With so much speed signed on, I think both are very interesting. DwF has some sneaky dirt form as a 2yo, while he wasn't very quick, I think he is improving at the right time, and can definitely move forward in the Derby. Medal Count is the one who I am more concerned about his form transferring to dirt, he did run 5th at GP in the FoY,he is a son of Dynaformer, nothing in his pedigree says he is a poly/turf horse only. They both have some impressive turn of foot that I have not seen from many that will be in the gate on May 3rd. Also do not think distance will be an issue, Medal Count traveled 31 feet further than DwF in the Bluegrass off a weeks rest, lost by 1.5, and 60 feet more then Pablo. Dwf also Traveled 31 feet more than Pablo. Both of these horses have a running style that I think gives them a big shot, and we should get a very nice price on both. Interested in hearing your opinions on these 2. Thanks fellas!

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    I can see Medal Count being similar to Paddy O'Prado down the lane. Dale Romans is very BULLISH on this horse. I listen to Dale when he is high on one and he has been high on this one since he first step into his barn. This colt had no shot down in Gulfstream on that FREEWAY!!! Don't leave off in exotics! I'm not big on DWF as I think that one is strictly a poly/weed horse and the trainer was all set to pass. The connections wanted this one in the gate on the 1st Saturday in May.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I'm not big on DWF as I think that one is strictly a poly/weed horse and the trainer was all set to pass. The connections wanted this one in the gate on the 1st Saturday in May.

This is my biggest knock against DWF. As you know I backed him in the Bluegrass, and nearly immediately following the trainer was already discussing passing (rather than the usual hype that follows stating the exact opposite).

I've been following the angle of the Gulfstream closers shipping from the merry-go-round to fair tracks and it has become more and more evident what a joke of a track GP really is. Track records and fast times are far more important to GP than horse safety and a fair playing track.

I'm particularly curious if Commanding Curve draws in, as I feel he can do some damage late should the pace meltdown. Johnny and I will be on our way to Louisville one week from today!
  • JohnnyPutzJohnnyPutz Member
    edited April 2014
    Also, Dynaformer is the only sire in the field who has a previous derby winner (Barbaro), Perfect Drift also a son of Dynaformer ran 3rd in KY Derby. Definitely prefer Medal Count over DwF, should be a better price too. Game 2nd to Shared Belief when he freaked last year is one of the reasons I haven't tossed him completely. Liking Medal Count more and more every day.
    edited April 2014
    Can't wait man!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    This is my biggest knock against DWF. As you know I backed him in the Bluegrass, and nearly immediately following the trainer was already discussing passing (rather than the usual hype that follows stating the exact opposite).

I've been following the angle of the Gulfstream closers shipping from the merry-go-round to fair tracks and it has become more and more evident what a joke of a track GP really is. Track records and fast times are far more important to GP than horse safety and a fair playing track.

I'm particularly curious if Commanding Curve draws in, as I feel he can do some damage late should the pace meltdown. Johnny and I will be on our way to Louisville one week from today!

Boys, I'm making the trip on an impulsive whim. Where are you all sitting or did you purchase the walk around? I'll be in Louisville around 8pm Thursday. Hit me up!!!
    edited April 2014
    We're in the 100 level, section 121. Walkarounds were out of our price range, as they were over 1000$ on the secondary market. And great decision, we'll meet up for some drinks for sure!
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    yall have a good time up there!!! Drink one for me!
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    yall have a good time up there!!! Drink one for me!

Yeah. Make a big score, too.