Horse of the Rising Sun

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
I read this in the Racing Form today. Interesting stuff:

Look for first-time starter Japan to take a significant amount of action in Saturday’s third race at Gulfstream Park, a 6 1/2-furlong maiden race for 3-year-olds that has lured a number of well-bred newcomers from top barns. Japan, a colt by Medaglia d’Oro, has trained strongly at Palm Meadows for trainer Mike Hushion and owner Barry Schwartz.

“Oh, you mean the secret weapon?” Hushion said when asked about Japan on Wednesday at Palm Meadows. “He trains like a serious horse. If he runs like he’s training, it’ll be fun.”

Obviously interested in this kind of stuff, i just looked up his workouts. It seems that he was involved in a team drill on Feb 4 with Princess Violette, who has ran a couple close seconds in graded stakes in her last couple of races.

FB, can you shed any light on this with your workout reports? He's being listed @ 10/1ml :eating:

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    I just got in last night will be on the backside today and tomorrow, I will post any scuttle but that comes my way.

Take Care...
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I just got in last night will be on the backside today and tomorrow, I will post any scuttle but that comes my way.

Take Care...

Good luck out there. #cashingtickets
    edited February 2015
    JAPAN

Feb. 17 - Was geared down late while in hand with
    his ears pricked through splits of 23.80, 48.19, and
    out 1:03.20. RATING: B

Feb. 11 - Never really got out of an open gallop
    going very easily through splits of 13.40, 38.40,
    1:03.40, and out 1:17 flat. RATING: B

Feb. 4 - Awesome move without being asked into a
    headwind through sharp splits of 34.80, 59.80,
    and out well in 1:13.80, 1:29.40 for a full seven
    furlongs. RATING: A

Jan.29 - Inadvertently broke seven lengths behind
    a Zito set, took a bunch of dirt, and went by easily
    by one length in 47.80 for the final half-mile, and
    galloped out well in 1:15.60. RATING: B+

Jan. 22 - Was pushed along from the gate alongside
    Papa Shot through pretty good half-mile splits.
    RATING: B

Jan.15 - Got beat by Papa Shot by one length while
    under heavy pressure in 36.60 for the final three
    furlongs. RATING: B

Jan 8 - Broke well and was not asked for much
    effort through splits of 13.20 and 49 flat. RATING: B
    Dec. 31 - Good move with the rider up in the irons
    through splits of 24 flat and 48.80. RATING: B
    edited February 2015
    This horse will open up at 5/2 at best!! This ML maker is a JOKE!!!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Here's what i have on the competition:

#1 Element coming off back-to-back drills with stakes winners Angela Renee and Daredevil. Meanwhile, #11 Catanova is also showing a drill with Angela Renee.

Speaking of which, Angela Renee had previously worked several times with the super-impressive 2yo stakes winner Competitive Edge, who is nearing his 3yo debut.

The reason i mention that is because Angela Renee is entered in the Rachel Alexandra stakes @ Fair Grounds today (5/1 ml). I like her chances in that spot.

Back to the maiden race @ Gulfstream, the Chad Brown trainee (#8 Data Driven) is coming off a drill with the stakes winner Consumer Credit. Also worth noting that this owner (Klaravich Stables) tends to do very well with first-time starters coming out of the 2yo's-in-training sales. Going further, note the presence of rider Paco Lopez, who according to the DRF stats is an unbeaten 3-for-3 when riding for Chad Brown (with an absurd average win price of $21.40). So that one looks pretty live.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    fbwinners wrote: »
    This horse will open up at 5/2 at best!! This ML maker is a JOKE!!!

Talk about spot on!! He's 5/2 with 18mtp!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    2-1 now and getting lower! He is dominating the pools!
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    9/5 w 1 mtp..12 over 9,10,11
    edited February 2015
    ouch...
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Here's how I over think horse racing:
    Look at this 10 horse quick in 8th at Gulfstream. She's by Tale of Ekati who from what I remembered like to run at a mile she's running today at a mile. No handicapping whatsoever

Feb-21 GUL R8 10 USD WPS 10
    Ticket #: 110179961
    Accepted: 02/21/15 2:23 PM (EST)
    Risk: $30.00
    Win: $0
    Outcome: Pending
    $30.00

Also like Sky Blazer in the 10th and Bluegrass Singer in the 11th
    edited February 2015
    nice hit...sometimes thats what it takes
    edited February 2015
    rayphil wrote: »
    nice hit...sometimes thats what it takes

Did upstart have to come down?
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Here's how I over think horse racing:
    Look at this 10 horse quick in 8th at Gulfstream. She's by Tale of Ekati who from what I remembered like to run at a mile she's running today at a mile. No handicapping whatsoever

Feb-21 GUL R8 10 USD WPS 10
    Ticket #: 110179961
    Accepted: 02/21/15 2:23 PM (EST)
    Risk: $30.00
    Win: $0
    Outcome: Pending
    $30.00

Also like Sky Blazer in the 10th and Bluegrass Singer in the 11th

Nice catch! I had this one in my multi-race exotics and got burned by the Cal bred in the 10th
    edited February 2015
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Did upstart have to come down?

stewards were all over the place today at gulfstream...take him down but didnt put DC's horse up in the last...The only thing I found out today is that motions horse is a monster and I want to see what kind of odds we get in dubai..
    edited February 2015
    Haha lost every other horse play today
    edited February 2015
    yea.. it wasnt a good day for me either...
    edited February 2015
    I had the exacta in the FOY, but lost a big win bet on Dreaming of Gold (after another brutal trip).
    edited February 2015
    Back to the maiden race @ Gulfstream, the Chad Brown trainee (#8 Data Driven) is coming off a drill with the stakes winner Consumer Credit. Also worth noting that this owner (Klaravich Stables) tends to do very well with first-time starters coming out of the 2yo's-in-training sales. Going further, note the presence of rider Paco Lopez, who according to the DRF stats is an unbeaten 3-for-3 when riding for Chad Brown (with an absurd average win price of $21.40). So that one looks pretty live.
    At least we had this part right.

Btw, make it 4-for-4 on Paco/Brown.
    edited February 2015
    Btw, make it 4-for-4 on Paco/Brown.

There's another Paco/Brown entrant in Race 7 @ Gulfstream today (#5 Seeking Alpha, 6/1 ml). In fact, this one worked h/u with the above-mentioned winner Data Driven back on Feb 8.

Tough spot here, as they'll be facing a very heavy favorite in #10 Wisecracker (who ran a strong second behind Khozan last month), but it seems likely that Seeking Alpha will run a good race.
    edited March 2015
    There's another Paco/Brown entrant in Race 7 @ Gulfstream today (#5 Seeking Alpha, 6/1 ml). In fact, this one worked h/u with the above-mentioned winner Data Driven back on Feb 8.

Tough spot here, as they'll be facing a very heavy favorite in #10 Wisecracker (who ran a strong second behind Khozan last month), but it seems likely that Seeking Alpha will run a good race.

This race has been re-carded from last week. Seeking Alpha is now 5/1 ml, while Wisecracker is 3/5 ml.
    edited April 2015
    Japan goes Saturday in the 3rd at Keeneland
    edited April 2015
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Japan goes Saturday in the 3rd at Keeneland

Japan has new connex?
  • n---cn---c Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    Japan running.
    edited April 2015
    I read this in the Racing Form today. Interesting stuff:

Look for first-time starter Japan to take a significant amount of action in Saturday’s third race at Gulfstream Park, a 6 1/2-furlong maiden race for 3-year-olds that has lured a number of well-bred newcomers from top barns. Japan, a colt by Medaglia d’Oro, has trained strongly at Palm Meadows for trainer Mike Hushion and owner Barry Schwartz.

“Oh, you mean the secret weapon?” Hushion said when asked about Japan on Wednesday at Palm Meadows. “He trains like a serious horse. If he runs like he’s training, it’ll be fun.”

Obviously interested in this kind of stuff, i just looked up his workouts. It seems that he was involved in a team drill on Feb 4 with Princess Violette, who has ran a couple close seconds in graded stakes in her last couple of races.

FB, can you shed any light on this with your workout reports? He's being listed @ 10/1ml :eating:

FROM THE CHURCHILL DERBY/OAKS PRESS RELEASE:

PUCA
    – Donegal Racing’s Puca worked a half-mile in company in:48.20 with exercise rider Jo Lawson up. Working in company with Japan, a 3-year-old maiden, Puca produced fractions of :12.60, :24.80, :36.40 and galloped out five furlongs in 1:01.20. The work was The fifth fastest of 54 at the distance. “It was very similar to the work a week ago,” trainer Bill Mott said. “She went much the same. I was hoping that she’d work as well or better and she looked like she finished up her work nicely but she was all up on the bridle and willing to do it, moving well, galloped out well, came back good.” This was the second straight time Puca worked in company with Japan, who is entered in Thursday’s eighth race.
    edited June 2015
    Do we start the day with Japan?
    edited June 2015
    $6 in a 3 horse field. :)
    edited June 2015
    Just read Japan is pointing to the Jim Dandy. That would be interesting
    edited July 2015
    This horse isn't losing on Saturday! Throw in the fact Mott is red