Kentucky Derby Ticket

SkyMaster7SkyMaster7 Banned
edited May 2015 in Horse Racing Forum
Ok I already have my Kentucky Derby ticket narrowed down to 3 options. My budget is around $300 and I plan on betting one ticket and punching it as many times as possible.

Option 1 - Going Ice Cold exacta as Dave Weaver would say.

1st - AP
2nd - Dortmund
Punch it 300 times for a $1

Option 2 - Trifecta

1st - AP
2nd - Dortmund
3rd - Firing Line, International Star, Far Right
Punch it 100 times for a $1

Option 3 - Superfecta

1st - AP
2nd - Dortmund
3rd - Firing Line, International Star, Far Right
4th - ALL
Punch it 6 times for a $1

Just crunching the numbers to see which one makes more sense from a financial standpoint.

Comments

• risky101risky101 Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    I am also feeling like ap -dortmund exacta is very possible...i love dortmunds post soo much though that i think he can win...
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    I think your best shot of cashing in Will be the Exacta.
  • SkyMaster7SkyMaster7 Banned
    edited April 2015
    risky101 wrote: »
    I am also feeling like ap -dortmund exacta is very possible...i love dortmunds post soo much though that i think he can win...
    I know I love his post to. If AP was not in the race honestly I think Dortmund would be a standout , but AP is so good and also drew good so that AP is the ultimate standout and Dortmund is the ultimate standout after AP . You never want to use the term "lock" in horse racing but this exacta looks real good and Dortmund is the perfect kind of horse to use in the second spot because even after AP puts him away you know he will keep running real hard.
    edited April 2015
    cinfront wrote: »
    I think your best shot of cashing in Will be the Exacta.
    Yeah the more I think about it I am really strongly leaning towards just using my whole bankroll to go ice cold on the exacta ...

Does anybody have any thoughts on what they think a AP/Dortmund exacta might pay ?
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    An ice cold exacta is an incredibly ballsy play in the derby. With traffic troubles and unpredictable pace scenarios, you are asking for a lot to go right for the lowest paying exacta combo in the race. In my opinion, the risk does not outweigh the reward. One minor roadblock for Dortmund could be a difference between 2nd and 3rd. You have to take a stance somewhere, but I tend to do that on one horse. Good luck.
  • n---cn---c Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    20 horse field exacta, my guess $35 to low $40's .Top 2 favs coming in. AP at 2-1 and Dort at 5-1 or 6-1

Avg exacta payouts over the last 14 years over 300 dollars :) 2005 payout $9800 the highest and 2000 payout at $66 being the lowest.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    I agree with FL..the gain is not worth the risk..Especially if you love AP that much. I would key him over a few. I would play 1 big play ex with AP and atleast a 15-1 shot. then key AP,Dortmond over some in triple..IMO my biggest ex play will be AP over international star...
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Depends on what you are hoping for for a ROI. The lowest exacta since 2000 was about 65 bucks. I think your exacta would be even less and if you wanted to make a a decent ROI on such low odds I would just do a win bet on your $300. You seem to be positive on AP and he will go off somewhere above the even money line so nothing wrong with a 350 - 600 profit on $300. too high a risk and little reward on a cold exacta agree fully with FL
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Actually another option I might consider with a $300 bankroll and you seeming to be 100% in on AP would be to do the oaks\derby double with ap keyed with 2-3 horses on the oaks side. not sure if the OD double has to be a $2 wager but I would guess looking at past payouts, both favorites would probably pay around 15 bucks for 2 so if you used 2 horses at $150 each and both favorites won you would be looking at $150 x appx $15 divided by 2 would put you over a grand and would be a much less risky wager than a cold exacta.
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the input ....

I do like International Star a lot , and in my opinion he is actually the biggest threat to beat out Dortmund, and ruin my ice cold exacta, so playing a AP/International Star exacta as some insurance is worth some thought.

I also really like Stellar Wind in the Oaks, so it might also be worth it to analyze some past Derby/Oaks payouts ...
  • noble tunenoble tune Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Jesus! sky master, a glass of water to wash down that chalk? I love the way baffert rubs his palms together after Dortmund draws # 8.
    edited April 2015
    noble tune wrote: »
    Jesus! sky master, a glass of water to wash down that chalk? I love the way baffert rubs his palms together after Dortmund draws # 8.
    LOL .... I know it does not get anymore chalk city than a AP/Dortmund exacta but I just can't see it turning out any other way. AP is clearly the best horse in the race and since he drew 18 he might have to cover a bit of extra ground but at the same time he should easily be able to avoid any trouble, and really a troubled trip was the only thing that was going to get him beat, so you have to pencil him in on top.

Of the rest of the horses in the field after AP, Dortmund is in my opinion the most talented and has the most tenacious running style and he wants the distance. He draws a perfect post. I know there could be some bumping breaking from that spot but he is a huge horse so I am guessing the other guy is going to get the worse of it if it happens , and look at Dortmunds three chief rivals according to most people .... Carpe Diem and Materiality both drew really bad posts and Firing Line drew good but if Firing Line couldn't beat him twice before at shorter distances because he started to weaken than why shouldn't anybody think he's suddenly going to turn the tables on him at a longer distance ...

Honestly the thing that worries me most in Dortmund not finishing second would be if there was just a really hot pace with the horses chasing Dortmund and therefore setting it up for a closer to complete the exacta in that case I think you have to look at International Star and Far Right who are clearly the best late runners in the race in my opinion....

The X factor is Upstart. I had him tied with Dortmund as my second choice before the PP draw. I really hate that he drew 19, but this horse looked awesome in the Fountain of Youth and Holy Bull , and his trainer made it clear before the Florida Derby that he was not fully cranked for the Florida Derby and they were trying to save
    his best race for the Kentucky Derby, if that horse moves forward he could also complete the exacta. I can envision a scenario where Upstart just tracks AP every move and follows him around the track to finish second.

Decisions decisions decisions lol ... I love this time of year :)
    edited April 2015
    ••••. Correction

I meant to say if there was a hot pace with the horses following AP than it could set it up for a closer ...
  • risky101risky101 Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Definately can see record fractions , im liking muubtahij if that happens..he should be 20 or 30 to 1....
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Now you're talking Risky..... Mubtaahij at around 30-1 with American Pharoh, boxed of course, is my Exacta.....
    Looking for a possible big payout I'll throw in Danzig Moon, with those 2, in another box. Danzig Moon, the improving Horse, will be up there in The odds as well.
    All my other investments will be in the tri. and supers.
    edited April 2015
    cinfront wrote: »
    Now you're talking Risky..... Mubtaahij at around 30-1 with American Pharoh, boxed of course, is my Exacta.....
    Looking for a possible big payout I'll throw in Danzig Moon, with those 2, in another box. Danzig Moon, the improving Horse, will be up there in The odds as well.
    All my other investments will be in the tri. and supers.
    Well there is no chance we will both be celebrating winning tickets come Kentucky Derby time lol.

I am obviously 100% with you on the AP part, but Muubtahij and DM are two horses I am taking a strong stand against .

DM - Yeah I understand his last race was a improvement, but just about all these horses are on the improve or were already running at such a high level there just was not any room left to make a big performance jump ecspecially if they were trying to save their best for the derby. Plus the signature race for DM is a plodding second behind a dialed down Carpe Diem. I just don't see how you go from that race to beating the likes of AP, Dort, Upstart, Firing Line, Materiality and not to mention Carpe Diem the horse that just drilled him.

Muubtahij - The horse travels around the world after beating a allowance quality field to take on the likes of AP and Dortmund ? That horse is going to have to prove me wrong ....
  • noble tunenoble tune Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Mubtaahj is 4 seconds slower than Dortmund which translates to about ]20 lengths on the Track
    edited April 2015
    noble tune wrote: »
    Mubtaahj is 4 seconds slower than Dortmund which translates to about ]20 lengths on the Track
    Your exactly right about him being about 20 lengths slower than Dortmund and that's why I can't understand why so many people are jumping on his bandwagon.

People talk about how visually impressive he was winning the UAE derby , but as I said in another post. You can take a solid 12,500 claiming horse and drop him into a weak 6,250 claiming race and he is probably going to look like Secretariat , but that doesn't mean he is ready to win the Kentucky Derby.

Anything is possible , so I guess there is always the chance he could pull a Mine that Bird and win, but so could Keen Ice and I won't be using him either, if he beats me than he beats me, but I just can't justify including him on any ticket unless you are just hitting the ALL button.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I too am looking to get alive to American Pharaoh, primarily because i have nice future bets on a couple of other horses, and AP scares the shit out of me.

The problem i'm having is that i feel AP will be pretty seriously over-bet, primarily in the exacta with Dortmund, whom i like quite a bit. My opinion is that the best way to get some value out of AP winning the race would be to key him on top of exotics with some of the horses who i think will be very much under-valued, such as Firing Line, Mubtaahij, and possibly Upstart. Then spread most of the field behind them in third, and then reverse it, going AP/Spread/Value horses in third. So if AP wins the race, and of the nice value horses runs second or third, we should have a nice ticket. I guess you've gotta throw Dortmund into that value-group as well, simply because you can't really leave him out. I don't really see much point in using AP in the second or third spots. If he loses, the ticket loses....i'm not looking to overspend by hedging on the chalk.

I'll also try and get alive to him via (and possibly Mubtaahjj, whom i'm definitely looking to do something with) in the Oaks/Derby double.
    edited April 2015
    I too am looking to get alive to American Pharaoh, primarily because i have nice future bets on a couple of other horses, and AP scares the shit out of me.

The problem i'm having is that i feel AP will be pretty seriously over-bet, primarily in the exacta with Dortmund, whom i like quite a bit. My opinion is that the best way to get some value out of AP winning the race would be to key him on top of exotics with some of the horses who i think will be very much under-valued, such as Firing Line, Mubtaahij, and possibly Upstart. Then spread most of the field behind them in third, and then reverse it, going AP/Spread/Value horses in third. So if AP wins the race, and of the nice value horses runs second or third, we should have a nice ticket. I guess you've gotta throw Dortmund into that value-group as well, simply because you can't really leave him out. I don't really see much point in using AP in the second or third spots. If he loses, the ticket loses....i'm not looking to overspend by hedging on the chalk.

I'll also try and get alive to him via (and possibly Mubtaahjj, whom i'm definitely looking to do something with) in the Oaks/Derby double.
    One of the sharpest horseplayers I know is all over Firing Line as his top pick. He thinks his running style is going to fit the derby much better than it did those prep
    races when he got edged out by Dortmund. He also really liked his Sunland Derby performance and says people are dismissing his impressive win because of the quality of the field he faced, but he is quick to point out Firing Line set a track record in the race. He has been at Churchill for the past week and says that the word around the track is that Firing Line is really turning people's heads, so I can fault you for using him, and Upstart is my third ranked horse in the race behind AP and Dortmund so no arguement there either.

I really don't like Muubtahij at all but I won't bore people and get in my soapbox about that again lol.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    SkyMaster7 wrote: »
    One of the sharpest horseplayers I know is all over Firing Line as his top pick. He thinks his running style is going to fit the derby much better than it did those prep
    races when he got edged out by Dortmund. He also really liked his Sunland Derby performance and says people are dismissing his impressive win because of the quality of the field he faced, but he is quick to point out Firing Line set a track record in the race. He has been at Churchill for the past week and says that the word around the track is that Firing Line is really turning people's heads, so I can fault you for using him, and Upstart is my third ranked horse in the race behind AP and Dortmund so no arguement there either.

I really don't like Muubtahij at all but I won't bore people and get in my soapbox about that again lol.

You need some homeboys. You've written more in 3 days than I have in my life.

DC me and you gonna have the same tri. I'll be heavier on Firing Line, but I know you be having the future...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2015
    SkyMaster7 wrote: »

I think Firing Line is unquestionably the best value in the race. I essentially have him ranked as a co-second choice with Dortmund, but he'll be triple (or quadruple) Dortmund's price. I also think he got a little bit better draw than Dortmund, and i'm quite happy about the scratch of Stanford, who figured to get gunned early from Firing Line's immediate outside. Now, the next speed horse to FL's outside is American Pharaoh, who is way out in the 17-hole (moving in a spot after the scratch). So theoretically, FL should have some space to work with early, if he breaks okay.

I am a touch concerned that Firing Line reared up in the gate @ Sunland shortly before the start, and didn't break particularly well, though he certainly had no problem thereafter. He might get a little antsy in the Derby starting gate. Hoping he's one of the last to load.
    edited May 2015
    I think Firing Line is unquestionably the best value in the race. I essentially have him ranked as a co-second choice with Dortmund, but he'll be triple (or quadruple) Dortmund's price. I also think he got a little bit better draw than Dortmund, and i'm quite happy about the scratch of Stanford, who figured to get gunned early from Firing Line's immediate outside. Now, the next speed horse to FL's outside is American Pharaoh, who is way out in the 17-hole (moving in a spot after the scratch). So theoretically, FL should have some space to work with early, if he breaks okay.

I am a touch concerned that Firing Line reared up in the gate @ Sunland shortly before the start, and didn't break particularly well, though he certainly had no problem thereafter. He might get a little antsy in the Derby starting gate. Hoping he's one of the last to load.
    Discreet Cat I know AP was your top choice and you nailed it with Firing Line/Dortmund. Nice call ...
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    saw this on twitter.

CECVCyTUgAELpwK.jpg

with the caption "BANG!"
    edited May 2015
    LOL ... At first I did not see where you wrote " saw this on Twitter " and I was thinking you were the one that warned me about bragging about picking a 5/2 shot to win and now your bragging and posting a pic of a ticket that lost money lol ... That is hilarious .