Firing Line Stretch Run

2»

Comments

• UnicornUnicorn Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    None of you big shots seemed to mention that firing line got bumped out of the gate.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Unicorn wrote: »
    None of you big shots seemed to mention that firing line got bumped out of the gate.

?????
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Looks like you forget to scratch the other half of the entry.
    edited May 2015
    dirtyshirt wrote: »

It's unreal!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2015

Funny. But 2012?

Anyway, I think Firing Line got about the best trip he could've hoped for.
  • ebcordeebcorde Junior Member
    edited May 2015
    A few people have mentioned He was on the wrong lead
  • noble tunenoble tune Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Lmfao!
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited May 2015

Haha Thats a classic
    edited May 2015
    SkyMaster7 wrote: »
    The whole point of the original post was to say that if Firing Line was on his correct lead than he might of beat AP. I think that kinda qualifies of bringing up AP ...

Secondly just the idea that a hall of fame jockey with so much experience like Gary Stevens could not get a quality animal like Firing Line to change back to his correct lead the entire long stretch of Churchill downs seemed kinda odd to me, so I re watched the race and it sure looked like to me he was on his correct lead and I google all the post race interviews from Gary Stevens and I could not find anywhere where he mentioned the horse being on his wrong lead the entire stretch, so maybe the reason nobody is talking about it is because it never happened ...

I guess this validates it, since Gary stated it. I kind of miss his rants!

Those who ride against Stevens are keenly aware of his almost legendary level of determination and how much that means to his success. “I’m sure as soon as the Derby was over and he was able to catch his breath, he was already on to the next one and thinking what he could do to turn the tables,” said Richard Migliore, a retired jockey turned racing analyst.

The answer may be as simple as persuading Firing Line to change leads, something the colt failed to do for the only time in his six-race career in the Derby. “He was beyond frustrated because he thought that could have been the difference easily,” said Angie.

According to Stevens, he gave the 3-year-old several cues to change leads – akin to shifting hands with a bulky suitcase - at Churchill Downs. He is confident the issue will turn into a non-issue in the Preakness. “There are a few things I can do to help him be more cognizant of it coming into the stretch,” he said.

Migliore suspects that Firing Line reacted to a frenetic Derby atmosphere that is like no other. “When they turn for home, they get hit with a wall of noise,” he said. “I imagine that’s what led to the horse not changing leads. I’m sure in the Preakness he’ll get back to changing properly.”

The shorter distance of the Preakness and a favorable change in post positions that has American Pharoah on the rail and Firing Line on the extreme outside in the field of eight represent other encouraging developments for Stevens. He could not be more amped for the rematch.

“He’s pretty determined to show everybody he’s on the real deal,” Angie said.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Gary was on Mike Francessa of The Fan, New York today and Gary described it about as best as you can. He said Firing line was on the one lead the whole race never changing and he stated that would be very tiresome, just like carrying a heavy suitcase through the airport and never switching hands to carry it. I thought it was a great example.