Big Thrill

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2016 in Horse Racing Forum
Did you guys catch the debut by the 2yo filly Big Thrill yesterday? Broke very slow from the gate, then moved up strongly while weaving thru traffic to win by open lengths going away. She had also worked the fastest quarter at the April Ocala Sale, and was getting some rave reviews even back then (see article below). Looks like the potential Spinaway winner from where I'm sitting.

First-Crop Big Drama Filly Speedy at OBS | BloodHorse.com

Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    My girlfriend Maggie Wolfendale was all over this one...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Paid a nice price too @ $9.50
    edited August 2015
    Was the race off the turf? Thinking back I'm pretty sure it was...
    edited August 2015
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Was the race off the turf? Thinking back I'm pretty sure it was...

Yes, it was.

As a matter of fact, there was another filly entered in there that i have a large amount of interest in (Conquest Sarahstar) who scratched when the race came off the grass, and that was the SECOND time she has been scratched for that same reason. It seems that Casse is being very insistent that she debuts sprinting on grass, which indicates to me that he intends to win with her first time out. Otherwise, if she were just out for a schooling run, why not let her go on dirt and just get the race in?
    edited August 2015
    Be advised, there's one entered on Thursday (Startwithsilver) who has worked h/u with Big Thrill on five separate occasions.
    edited August 2015
    Yes, it was.

As a matter of fact, there was another filly entered in there that i have a large amount of interest in (Conquest Sarahstar) who scratched when the race came off the grass, and that was the SECOND time she has been scratched for that same reason. It seems that Casse is being very insistent that she debuts sprinting on grass, which indicates to me that he intends to win with her first time out. Otherwise, if she were just out for a schooling run, why not let her go on dirt and just get the race in?

Agreed. Seen this too. Don't know about the win... but sure wants grass.
    edited August 2015

Looks like she's been entered @ Woodbine on Saturday...in an allowance race?
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Be advised, there's one entered on Thursday (Startwithsilver) who has worked h/u with Big Thrill on five separate occasions.

bump

goes today in race 7
    #9 3-1 ml
    edited August 2015
    Must not have looked great... Hanging @ 5-1. I'm alive in the double.
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    that was a brutal beat
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    I've played 2 horses in the past 2 days Noble Moon and this one both nipped at the wire WTF
    edited August 2015
    I think I'm gonna throw up. Brutal beat there @ 6/1.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Guess I can't complain nice exacta and paid well in middle and to show
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Guess I can't complain nice exacta and paid well in middle and to show

Maybe you can't, but us win bettors sure can!
    edited August 2015
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Maybe you can't, but us win bettors sure can!

Yeah really.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Just got home---watched the race at the pool hall and was heavy w/p---how the fuck did she let that #8 longshot at 18-1 or so get by her in the stretch? Probably because I was counting my winnings at the 1/16 pole! Tough fuckin beat!
    edited September 2015
    Big Thrill has been entered in a Fla-bred stakes @ Gulfstream on Saturday.
    edited September 2015
    Did you guys catch the debut by the 2yo filly Big Thrill yesterday? Broke very slow from the gate, then moved up strongly while weaving thru traffic to win by open lengths going away. She had also worked the fastest quarter at the April Ocala Sale, and was getting some rave reviews even back then (see article below). Looks like the potential Spinaway winner from where I'm sitting.

First-Crop Big Drama Filly Speedy at OBS | BloodHorse.com

Just realized i forgot to post the race replay. Here ya go...enjoy!

Big Thrill is #3

Race 5 (MSW) at SAR on 8/12/15 at Saratoga on Aug 12, 2015 | Race Result | BloodHorse.com
    edited September 2015
    As for this one, what a nightmare that was yesterday. I'm pretty much convinced that she didn't handle the sloppy track, plain and simply. She didn't even look like the same horse. Totally spinning her wheels and going nowhere, as opposed to her moving powerfully while under a hold last time out (on a fast track). Definitely giving her another chance next time, assuming it comes on dry land.

PS - I very much wonder how she would've fared yesterday if they had opted to keep her in New York and run in the Spinaway (on dry land) vs. Rachel and Tap To It. I'm guessing she would've been competitive, but of course we'll never know. Time will tell on this filly.
    edited January 2016
    Update on this promising filly. Not only did she (probably) not handle the sloppy track @ Calder last fall, she very probably injured herself during the race, because she immediately disappeared for several months afterward.

But now she's finally back on the worktab, having turned in two slow drills @ Belmont (1/8 and 1/15). I'm still giving her the benefit of the doubt, and think she may be ready to rumble once she gets back into racing shape (remember, she scored a hugely impressive win off works-alone in her debut). Also think she'll offer some value coming off the Calder flop. She's still probably at least a month away, but just a heads-up here.
    edited March 2016
    Big Thrill has been entered @ Aqueduct next Thursday (3/10)

:eating:
    edited March 2016
    Big Thrill has been entered @ Aqueduct next Thursday (3/10)

:eating:

I should've mentioned before, this entry really caught me by surprise.

As mentioned above, she did return to the worktab a couple of months ago, and seemed fine for the first month, logging 4 drills during that time (though there was a 10-day gap between her drills on 1/15 and 1/25).

However, after her five furlong drill on 2/3, she then disappeared for almost the entire month of February, not working again until 2/28. It certainly appeared that she had suffered some kind of setback. So i was quite happy to see her return to the worktab on 2/28.

That being said, she's now been entered into a race following just one workout in over a month??? That seems extremely odd. I had assumed that it probably would be another month (at least) before we saw her entered. Unless she's been training on a private farm or something (which i guess is possible), something sure seems amiss. It makes me wonder if she might just be out for the exercise here. I also wonder if they might blow her out 3 furlongs tomorrow morning (if she didn't already work this morning), because if she doesn't, it would be 11 days from her last workout until Thursday's race (making it only one workout in 36 days heading into the race).

Just lots of weird stuff going on here.
    edited March 2016
    5/2 morning line. Great...
    edited March 2016
    5/2 morning line. Great...

What's the opinion here. I'm worried that she beat a bunch of turf horses in her debut, and none seem to have done shit. Who knows, I don't follow east coast racing.
    edited March 2016
    Well, i was totally impressed with the debut. Thought she was a legit contender for the major 2yo stakes last year.

Ran like garbage in the Calder stakes (which i was surprised she even ran in, but she was a Fla-bred, so whatever). Thought she ran poor;y because of the mud (she never looked comfortable over the surface). Turns out she probably got injured during the race.

Liked her fine coming back, at least until she stopped on her training, and had only one workout in the entire month before her race today. Funnily, the comment in the Racing Form said that she had been "training steadily", lol. Do they not even look at the PP's before they write that stuff? Unreal.

Wasn't really sure what to expect today. Not totally surprised she ran out. I was expecting better though.
  • roundtripparoundtrippa Senior Member
    edited April 2016

This one is entered on Wednesday in the 6th at Aqueduct, 4/1 ml. DC you have any info?
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, i saw she was entered.

Frankly i'm off this one. She was clearly injured during that Calder fiasco, which is fine, but she did not look anything like herself when she came back. Also bear in mind that she had a very bizarre worktab heading into that race (only one workout in the entire month leading up to her comeback race). No workouts in the month since that race, either...