Early Look--Oaklawn 3yo's

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited May 2016 in Horse Racing Forum
In a few days all our babies will turn 3 years old and there are a few working at Oaklawn that have gotten the attention of the local clockers. I expect we will hear from most of these when the 3yo races get underway:

PIONEER SPIRIT: $380k purchase by Malibu Moon and said to be an absolute beast!

AMERICAN PIONEER: workmate of Pioneer Spirit couldn't quite keep up with his stablemate when going 6f gate work, but still has the look of one that could improve?

Z NOBLE: Wayne has this one ready NOW! Should see him in the Smarty Jones next month.

AIRMAN'S CREED: another Lukas standout. Clockers love his energy and gallop out!

TIZ FUNNY: Danny Peitz has this one ready to roll! Look for early stakes action.

Many more on my clocker's report, but these are the ones that drew the most ink. Now a few fillies:

Stablemates SISTER SMACK and GIRL POWER are two to keep an eye on, but the one getting the most ink is Doug Anderson's SIGHTFORSOREYES, who the clocker's think is one of the best on the grounds. STORMARDINI and READY TO CONFES are others who have received high praise.

Without question, highest quality of stock on the grounds ever at Oaklawn Park! Assman, Casse, Peitz, Catalano, Moquett, and the Ole Ball Coach Wayne have serious horses here and it promises to be a great meet! As we get closer to opening day Jan 15, 2016, I will publish a condensed list of my clocker's horses to watch list!

Comments

• JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Good stuff; thanks and Merry Christmas
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Thanks John!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Happy Holiday's to everybody!

Check out my new avatar. Came across this in the Oaklawn archives. Taken circa mid 1920's, this is Babe Ruth taking in a round of golf at Oaklawn Park. Back then, the Oaklawn infield had a small golf course on it and the Babe spent most winters in Hot Springs getting in shape for the season. I'm sure those hot thermal baths really helped on a morning after spending all night at the Ohio Club swilling beers, throwing dice, and chasing women!

I failed to mention anything about Tony Dutrow's stable as they are just now hitting the grounds, but he has some very good ones!
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited January 2016

AMERICAN PIONEER: workmate of Pioneer Spirit couldn't quite keep up with his stablemate when going 6f gate work, but still has the look of one that could improve?

I can vouch for both of these... i saw them workout and they look as good as any ive seen in a while for unstarted runners.
    edited January 2016
    stopped by Dan Peitz barn and he said he might go in the fillies stake this weekend but he wasn't sure... said Morse has a really good one. that really good one is Durango... also, servis has a filly that we might get later in the meet, Cathryn Sophia. She is a MONSTER and im sure most of you have heard of her over on the east coast. Servis is bringing 4 in this week that are all small stakes type colts that i'll post about later. Maker gets in town this week as well. going to be a very very competitive meet. im not convinced al stall's runners are going to make much noise. this isn't a place stall's second string can come in and wax people.

Wayne just bought Mcpeek's house in trivista, JG. nice house and literally the length of the back stretch away from his barn.
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the OP updates, fellas. All info is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to this weekend; take care and enjoy the meet!
    edited January 2016

Wayne just bought Mcpeek's house in trivista, JG. nice house and literally the length of the back stretch away from his barn.

I think McPeek bought that home about a year ago when he was tight with Shortleaf? I wonder if there was a fallout between John Ed and Kenny? Sure wouldn't be the first time Anthony dumped a trainer!

My reports are full of info on the 3yo fillies. Little Donnie will send out one this weekend who has been the wworkmate of 3yo colt Synchrony, FACETS OF ICE. She held her own against a real monster! If Doug Anderson finds a good spot for debut for SIGHTFORSOREYES, I'm all over her. If track comes up wet, double up! Same with Durango who had all A's on workout report.
    Friday card draws late Tuesday and we will know better where all these promising 3yo's are going.
    edited January 2016
    Friday entries are out!
    clocker's list runners:

4th--3 yo f one mile
    #6 Ready To Confess
    #8 Dorodansa

6th--3yo colts 1 1/16
    #9 Blanket Of Ice
    #11 That Makes Semse

7th--WTF!!!!
    Alsvid gets in a race for non-winners since july? 5 1/2 may be short for him but he is working like the second coming!

8th--Dixie Belle 3yo fillies 6f
    #7 DURANGO! on everybody's list

#3 Katalust
    #4 Alien Giant

looks like a tri key 7---3/4/8

4 great races out of 9----not bad for Friday--Can't wait to see Sat and Monday cards!
    edited January 2016
    editing my post. robert yates with the democrat had bad info on the house. wayne bought a house on trivista right. mcpeek has one very close by.
    edited January 2016
    how many tickets single durango in late pick 4? i know mine will.
    edited January 2016
    Morse put the hood on her in the final work and she blew a hole in the wind! B/O for Friday spells

W2W!

Alsvid has his work cut out for him with Cinco Charlie--right now I'd play ex bx 3/4/11
    and tri 3/11---3/11---4/10 in the 7th

Race 6 is a head scratcher, could be a "key race" later in the year? What you know about the Ramsey/Maker shipper? I'm thinking ex bx 7--9--11

btw, I noticed Shortleaf is using Dutrow for a 3yo!
    edited January 2016
    i heard the ramsay horse in the 6th is supposed to be good. wasn't all the way cranked for debut and with oaklawn always in mind... why would you want to win a MSW at FG that has a purse for 40 when you come here and run for 70.
    edited January 2016
    i heard the ramsay horse in the 6th is supposed to be good. wasn't all the way cranked for debut and with oaklawn always in mind... why would you want to win a MSW at FG that has a purse for 40 when you come here and run for 70.

Thanks King. Scissors and Tape?
    edited January 2016
    I just got home and checked the Saturday entries--

I need to make a correction on Sightforsoreeyes---is a colt--not a filly. I made an eyesight error on that one.

Saturday has some that will be a price and one that won't but may be the best bet of the day?

Race 6
    3yo msw 5 1/2 f
    #6 Baire's Boy----unknown trainer I Correas will guarantee a big price! His works are super and his last at CD was pretty good. WPS

Race 7
    3yo fillies msw one mile

#4 BEACH WALK

$435k gary west purchase by Dist Humor and a Mineshaft mare. Catman is licking his chops over this young filly. I see this one winning for fun on Saturday then moving on to the Honeybee/Fantasy before being a real contender in Kentucky Oaks! Don't expect much of a price--I'm expecting 8/5 or so?

Race 9
    3yo msw 6f

My clocker loves #1 Sightforsoreeyes, but he is hooked tough with Moquett superstar in the making, #5 Whitmore.
    Whitmore ran in the Delta Jackpot over a muddy sealed track and was distanced after running close to the pace. That was on 3 weeks rest off maiden win at CD so throw that effort out and go back and look at maiden debut win. That CD race was a who's who of key OP 3yo looking for stardom. Whitmore broke loose going 6 and pulled away to win by 7 1/2f. In doing so, he beat 4 others who are starred on my clockers list:

Tiz Funny
    Black Ops
    Spezia
    Tapster

Going 6f again raises questions but there is plenty of time left to stretch him out!
    Tough race but I'm using 1--5 in all bets! Small chance of rain but don't think it will be much?
    edited January 2016

I can vouch for both of these... i saw them workout and they look as good as any ive seen in a while for unstarted runners.

American Pioneer missing from worktab---but Pioneer Spirit blew a hole in the wind on Tuesday!
    Can't wait for his debut!
    edited January 2016
    Thanks King. Scissors and Tape?

Correct. tough race though.

More i think about it the more i want to single durango on one ticket. single cinco charlie on a ticket, single both on a 3rd ticket in case they both win. the only chances i see in that race are cinco charlie and aslvid. contrasting styles here and that gets me giddy. :)

JG, what do you think of assman in the 4th? horse has run against songbird and prettyncool in socal and assman has had in his stable in NOLA.
    edited January 2016
    Correct. tough race though.

JG, what do you think of assman in the 4th? horse has run against songbird and prettyncool in socal and assman has had in his stable in NOLA.

You have to use the Assman filly. In her last on a wet sealed at CD she made up a ton of ground late to just finish a little back of DURANGO!! You know what we think of Durango! I like the rail ground saving trip cause Santana is very good at saving ground and finding a way to get out in the crown turning for home. Ever since the flood and sink hole 3 years ago, the Oaklawn rail thru the last 1/8 has been dead! Unless I see otherwise, I want a horse out in the middle of the track just after they turn into the stretch. A 1--6--8 ex and tri box looks good to me? I have opinions in all the good races for both Friday and Saturday, its those cheap races thrown in that cause me concern in the p3 and p4? There is always the ALL BUTTON!
    edited January 2016
    It's just a matter of time( month or so) till we see a showdown between Durango and Beach Walk.
    These are two very serious 3yo fillies!
    edited January 2016
    Great thread, guys! Hopefully we can pull some winners out of here...
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Watch today's third. The china man finding out how rough it is on the bayou.
    edited January 2016
    Well your clocker had the first exacta... $ in bank.
    edited January 2016
    C Nak got wiped out on the first turn. His horse made a good run to get 3rd after all the shit .
    I think there were 3 objections all having to do with the first turn. As you would expect---no changes!

The china man better remember how tough it is shipping in from so cal to a circuit from hell! But, he was lucky to stay on board after he was mugged!

In the feature , race 8, Quincey Hamilton was on the Moquett horse, Durango, and he let her run 2nd all the way around the Dixie belle 6f run. Any good jock would have turned her loose and played catch me if you can.

Better luck tomorrow!
    edited January 2016
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Watch today's third. The china man finding out how rough it is on the bayou.

I talked to Ronnie Moquett at the shoe shine stand and he told me he loved his horse in the 3rd. C Nak was lucky he didn't get dropped and run over after he got mugged! Keep this horse in your next race--with a better break and mid-post- a winner for sure!
    edited January 2016
    Summer Chase
    edited January 2016
    C Nak got wiped out on the first turn. His horse made a good run to get 3rd after all the shit .
    I think there were 3 objections all having to do with the first turn. As you would expect---no changes!

The china man better remember how tough it is shipping in from so cal to a circuit from hell! But, he was lucky to stay on board after he was mugged!

In the feature , race 8, Quincey Hamilton was on the Moquett horse, Durango, and he let her run 2nd all the way around the Dixie belle 6f run. Any good jock would have turned her loose and played catch me if you can.

Better luck tomorrow!

Sure looked like the best horse. I wanted to bet Durango at even $ the way you guys talked, but I saw that name and said fuck off. I'm turning into a person who will only bet 9 jockeys country wide.

Rosario (and he's been indifferent)
    JV
    Caste llano
    Irad
    Santiago - best bet by far
    Mikey for money races
    Bejarano
    Russel baze ( I swear he's value sometimes)
    Agapito delgadillo (if you play a big shot ATB, he'll grind it out.
    edited January 2016
    Race 9
    3yo msw 6f

My clocker loves #1 Sightforsoreeyes, but he is hooked tough with Moquett superstar in the making, #5 Whitmore.
    Whitmore ran in the Delta Jackpot over a muddy sealed track and was distanced after running close to the pace. That was on 3 weeks rest off maiden win at CD so throw that effort out and go back and look at maiden debut win. That CD race was a who's who of key OP 3yo looking for stardom. Whitmore broke loose going 6 and pulled away to win by 7 1/2f. In doing so, he beat 4 others who are starred on my clockers list:

Tiz Funny
    Black Ops
    Spezia
    Tapster

Going 6f again raises questions but there is plenty of time left to stretch him out!
    Tough race but I'm using 1--5 in all bets! Small chance of rain but don't think it will be much?

1st and 3rd. Brutal.

Especially with Sightforsoreeyes going off @ 19/1. Great info though; thanks.
    edited January 2016
    Wasn.t that brutal! A friend of mine pointed out to me that Will Munnings had a 5f work in 49 flat, which is smoking for OP. We figured he would try to steal the 6f race so I included him in a $50 tri key with Whitmore over Sightforsoreeyes and Will Munnings. Don't know how but it came back at just a little over $600 so I made the IRS window scene. I'm not complaining!
    edited January 2016
    Wasn.t that brutal! A friend of mine pointed out to me that Will Munnings had a 5f work in 49 flat, which is smoking for OP. We figured he would try to steal the 6f race so I included him in a $50 tri key with Whitmore over Sightforsoreeyes and Will Munnings. Don't know how but it came back at just a little over $600 so I made the IRS window scene. I'm not complaining!

Congrats! Only way i would've had it was to have gone with a 1,5 / all / 1,5 trifecta to back up my 1/5 exacta box. I chose not to do that, for whatever reason.
  • TurferGirlTurferGirl Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    In a few days all our babies will turn 3 years old and there are a few working at Oaklawn that have gotten the attention of the local clockers. I expect we will hear from most of these when the 3yo races get underway:

Z NOBLE: Wayne has this one ready NOW! Should see him in the Smarty Jones next month.

AIRMAN'S CREED: another Lukas standout. Clockers love his energy and gallop out!

TIZ FUNNY: Danny Peitz has this one ready to roll! Look for early stakes action.

Many more on my clocker's report, but these are the ones that drew the most ink. Now a few fillies:

Stablemates SISTER SMACK and GIRL POWER are two to keep an eye on, but the one getting the most ink is Doug Anderson's SIGHTFORSOREYES, who the clocker's think is one of the best on the grounds. STORMARDINI and READY TO CONFES are others who have received high praise.

Without question, highest quality of stock on the grounds ever at Oaklawn Park! Assman, Casse, Peitz, Catalano, Moquett, and the Ole Ball Coach Wayne have serious horses here and it promises to be a great meet! As we get closer to opening day Jan 15, 2016, I will publish a condensed list of my clocker's horses to watch list!

I agree John,some really great Horseflesh at O.P.
    Keep an eye on Moquetts Whitmore.
    edited January 2016
    Any idea when Pioneer Spirit will debut? I see there's a 1 1/16 mile maiden race on Thursday, and he's not in there. His workmate American Pioneer debuted in a similar spot last week and ran second (as the 8/5 favorite, I think).