Mike Smith coming in to ride Whitmore

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited December 2016 in Horse Racing Forum
He also came in to ride Far Right last year for the same connections...

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/whitmore-works-for-southwest-mike-smith-to-ride/

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    He also came in to ride Far Right last year for the same connections...

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/whitmore-works-for-southwest-mike-smith-to-ride/

They will draw Friday morning. I'll be trackside all weekend so hopefully I'll have some good info by Sundat night at the latest. Probably not a wise move, but I'm leaning against using the Baffert runner, Collected, just because his final 1/8 in the Sham was pedestrian time for Santa Anita? Right now, I would use Whitmore and Synchrony and one other in an ex bx? I just don't know quite yet who the 3rd would be?
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    They will draw Friday morning. I'll be trackside all weekend so hopefully I'll have some good info by Sundat night at the latest. Probably not a wise move, but I'm leaning against using the Baffert runner, Collected, just because his final 1/8 in the Sham was pedestrian time for Santa Anita? Right now, I would use Whitmore and Synchrony and one other in an ex bx? I just don't know quite yet who the 3rd would be?

Baffert still likes collected. He had to be wide early, and really didn't get the best trip. I like him up to 9 panels.
    edited February 2016
    Well, SHIT, NEGRO, HELL, you have really thrown a wrench into my thinking! Quinton T baby! If there was only a horse named Ordell Robbie!

On a different note, if only I could figure what early speed will stay? Tons of early speed in here and Oaklawn Park has been a speed favoring surface?
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    The track the day Collected won was a bit deep and tiring, as alluded to. He was also 4w or so on the turn. I believe he will get the 1 1/16. He'll be in a solid stalking position and should have first run.

Baffert quietly likes this colt. We'll see if John has any info from the backside for us.
    edited February 2016
    After three days at the Oaklawn track, I have info for the timid?

Ron Moquett has a barn hotter than a cheap pistol! I told him today that I am the benefactor of all his mounts including a $1,800 pick 4, on Saturday. I also told him that I don't want to see him end up as another Cole Norman ---I was assured that won't be the case. #2 Whitmore is drawn inside in the 2 hole with the Baffert on his inside in the rail hole. There are too many to play my fav 3 horse ex bx so I'm just playing Whitmore to wps in big numbers! Good luck to all in the most competitive race of the year so far!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2016
    I like Whitmore too. Planning on playing him tomorrow.
    edited February 2016
    I thought Whitmore looked fantastic today. Horrific trip and almost won anyway. Pretty sure he was best; tough beat. Even more impressive considering it was his two-turn debut (not counting the bullring @ Delta Downs over a sloppy track).

Big potential going forward...
    edited February 2016
    Moquett wanted a two-race committment from Mikey---Rebel & Ark Derby.

Mikey said one raqce at a time----so Moquett said "Fuck You" and now IRAD has a two race term with Whitmore!
    edited February 2016
    Moquett wanted a two-race committment from Mikey---Rebel & Ark Derby.

Mikey said one raqce at a time----so Moquett said "Fuck You" and now IRAD has a two race term with Whitmore!

Nice! :yes:
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Cool, Mikeys a hall of famer, but I love the way the young Jock Irad rides.
    edited February 2016
    Whitmore back on the worktab yesterday with a best-of-75 bullet :eating:
    edited March 2016
    Whitmore back on the worktab yesterday with a best-of-75 bullet :eating:

Whitmore worked another bullet this morning (best-of-22)
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    Whitmore worked another bullet this morning (best-of-22)

He's a legit contender if he continues to move forward. He's has a big shot in the Rebel, I loved that move in the Southwest. I really think he was a little short for that race.
    edited August 2016
    Just a quick note here on another Ron Moquett colt that caught me eye, that being Rockshaw. He's entered @ Saratoga on Saturday (15/1 ml), but he's second on the AE list so he probably won't get in.

He's by an obscure sire named Maclean's Music ($6500 stud fee), but he brought $210k at the April Ocala sale after tying for the fastest quarter-mile (20.3). He's showing two extremely slow workouts @ Saratoga, but was working quite fast @ Churchill before he shipped in (including a best-of-82 bullet on June 12). Seems like perhaps Moquett knows he's fast and fit, and intentionally put the brakes on in the two local drills to inflate the price? Also of note, he named Santana to ride, and it looks like Santana scored on a longshot for him at last year's Saratoga meet.

Interesting colt here; worth an eyeball.
    edited August 2016
    Yep, Rockshaw was an early scratch. Bummer.

Incidentally, something else to be aware of in that race. #4 Theoryintopractice has worked at least 3 times with Race 2 entrant Practical Joke (appearing to outwork that one on two occasions). So if Practical Joke runs well in the second, then we might have something.
    edited August 2016
    Practical Joke wins race 2, so Theoryintopractice looks like a must use. Moquett barn likes the 5 and 9, so I'll be using 4/5/9 in an ex bx.
    edited August 2016
    Yep, Rockshaw was an early scratch. Bummer.

Incidentally, something else to be aware of in that race. #4 Theoryintopractice has worked at least 3 times with Race 2 entrant Practical Joke (appearing to outwork that one on two occasions). So if Practical Joke runs well in the second, then we might have something.

#4 THEORYINTOPRACTICE

July 30 SAR 5f fst 1:01.54
    Finished even up with stablemate Practical Joke, both coming inside an Englehart
    team turning for home, down the stretch, five furlongs in 36.70, 1:01.55
    going easily to the wire, out strong in 1:14.34. RATING: B+

July 23 SAR 5f fst 1:00.00
    Broke well and seemed to hold a slight edge over Practical Joke while under
    wraps through good fractions of 24.60, 36.60, 48.00, 1:00 flat. RATING: B+

July 16 SAR 4f fst :48.67
    On even terms with unraced 2-year-old Practical Joke, an easy half-mile in
    23.80, 48.92, just average on the gallop-out in 1:03. RATING: B

July
    8 SAR 4f fst :48.72
    Slightly second-best to Practical Joke while urged a tad through good splits of
    24.20, 48.19 / 1:01.80. RATING: B
    edited August 2016
    Just a quick note here on another Ron Moquett colt that caught me eye, that being Rockshaw. He's entered @ Saratoga on Saturday (15/1 ml), but he's second on the AE list so he probably won't get in.

He's by an obscure sire named Maclean's Music ($6500 stud fee), but he brought $210k at the April Ocala sale after tying for the fastest quarter-mile (20.3). He's showing two extremely slow workouts @ Saratoga, but was working quite fast @ Churchill before he shipped in (including a best-of-82 bullet on June 12). Seems like perhaps Moquett knows he's fast and fit, and intentionally put the brakes on in the two local drills to inflate the price? Also of note, he named Santana to ride, and it looks like Santana scored on a longshot for him at last year's Saratoga meet.

Interesting colt here; worth an eyeball.

Rockshaw is entered again on Thursday (8/1 ml this time), this time being listed as MTO in a 5.5 furlong turf race. The track was sloppy today, so there's probably a decent chance he draws in this time. Unfortunately, that would probably result in multiple scratches, which wouldn't help the price (nor would being listed MTO when the race comes off). Kinda hoping he scratches again.
    edited August 2016
    Turf course firm. Both MTO's are scratched.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited August 2016
    Rockshaw is entered Saturday in the 2nd Race. 6 Furlongs on the dirt.
    edited August 2016
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Rockshaw is entered Saturday in the 2nd Race. 6 Furlongs on the dirt.

20/1 ml :shrr:

Really striking how slow all of his drills have bee @ Saratoga. Especially when contrasted against his Churchill worktab. We all know he ain't slow, because he tied for the fastest quarter at the April Ocala sale. Some chance that he legitimately doesn't like the track here, but sure seems intent on running him (this is the third time he's been entered, and in fact, he was listed as "main track only" in a turf race last time. Have to imagine it's been by design.
    edited August 2016
    #10 Rockshaw

Aug. 7 SAR 4f fst :50.85
    Maintenance half-mile in advance of debut, cruised to the top in 26, had some
    late run to the wire in 50.82 going easily, up in 1:04. RATING: BJuly

29 SAR 5f fst 1:04.98
    Walked away from the five-eighths pole in 14, picked up the pace the rest of the
    way completing his final half in 50.87 going easily throughout. RATING: C+
  • oakasoakas Junior Member
    edited October 2016
    Rockshaw is entered at Keeneland Saturday in the 10th.

What do you guys think?
    edited October 2016
    Rockshaw drew the 10 hole in Spa debut and didn't have a chance. Work-tab since at Cd has been steady, but slow? Ricardo Santana sticks with him and passes on mounts for Assman and Lukas. Saturday he draws the 4 hole and 6-1 ml odds. This race has to be easier than Spa debut, but not by much as there are some very good and expensive maiden 2 yo looking for a win! I'm going to call Moquett's son and find out what the deal is on the slow works? Tonight at Remington race 3, the boyz are loading up on #4 Golden Tiago, 2-1, but 6/5 or even looks more likely. My newest no-name jockey, Geovani Franco , all he should have to do is hold on?
    edited October 2016
    Rockshaw is entered in Race 10 @ Keeneland today, 6/1 morning line. Adding blinkers, btw.
    edited October 2016
    If looks were anything that day he looked sharp in the paddock. Hopefully it was the pp that day
    edited October 2016
    Holy shit! Just watched the replay on TVG they said the 2nd horse was 95-1. Waiting on prices wheeled our horse 1st n 2nd with exactas along w WPS
  • oakasoakas Junior Member
    edited October 2016
    I've got win money and the exacta.....Nice exacta:toast:
    Sweet
    edited October 2016
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Holy shit! Just watched the replay on TVG they said the 2nd horse was 95-1. Waiting on prices wheeled our horse 1st n 2nd with exactas along w WPS

Awesome! :toast:
    edited October 2016
    Rockshaw wins @ $16.00 :yes: