2»

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks DC!!!!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    Great Hit !
    I wasn't daring enough to have the exacta with a 95-1 shot! But the W/P was just fine!
    Team Moquett was thrilled with the win, especially for new connex Lieblong, who will spend a few $$$ at the sales. In a related news note, just a few hours before Rockshaw won, Moquett was even happier as WHITMORE had his third work since coming back from a injury in the Kentucky Derby(where he finished 19).

Over at CD, Whitmore clicked off a half in 47.1, best of 52 that day. He is ready and we may see him before Keeneland concludes? If not, he will certainly be ready for something and Moquett isn't shy about sending his good ones up to NY. Half owner LaPenta is a NY gut who used to use Zito exclusively.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Glad to see Whitmore back on the worktab! :yes:
    edited November 2016
    Whitmore has been entered in a 6.5-furlong sprint @ Aqueduct this Saturday.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    Whitmore is certainly ready! His work-tab at CD is long and impressive. Plus, he likes being down on the rail and fighting for the win---but I think he will be short, based on back class and the weak group he faces on Saturday.

Moquett sent a firster up to NY with Whitmore and he goes today(Thursday) in race 6.
    #7 ZIP VAN WINKLE, 7/2
    He has been working down at FG and his works are ok, but he goes for $60k as opposed to $40k at msw FG races. Owner shelled out $300k for him and he faces a weak group in his debut. Jose Ortiz gets on and he has some good gallops over wet dirt in NOLA. Connex are hopeful he has a good showing, and I'm using him wps and ex bx 4--6--7.
    In the 8th, Assman has a runner who should dominate this bunch, #2 poe, John's Island should be a key over
    2---3/4/5--3/4/5.
    edited December 2016
    I think he'll be ready also. Clearly he's pepping for routes @ Oaklawn (as mentioned in a DRF article this week), but i don't think it's lost on Moquett that Whitmore's is 2-for-2 sprinting. Moquett also talked after the Derby last year about turning him back into the late-season 3yo sprint races. So i think they'll be looking for a good perfprmance today. Besides, Whitmore could use a nice confidence-builder. It's been a while since he's won a race.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    Market sentiment will be tough in here and should sit perfect trip especially with the scr of rudys horse..
    edited December 2016
    Whitmore won pretty easy @ $4.20 :toast:

He was full of run behind a wall of horses, and when one of the horses in front of him drifted out a bit turning for home, Whitmore shot right through and then opened up. His margin was cut into late by the second-place finisher, but he was never in any real jeopardy of getting caught.

What i find perhaps most interesting here is that he's now 3-for-3 sprinting, with two of those wins coming off long layoffs (yesterday, and then also the career debut). Just something to keep in mind for later this year if he starts losing in the big route stakes and then they decide to turn him back in distance (like they were talking about after the Derby last year).

Here's the replay. Whitmore is the #1 horse.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/AQU/2016/12/3/6/race-6-aoc-at-aqu-on-12-3-16