So I'm going to California this summer...

FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
edited December 2007 in Horse Racing Forum
My girlfriend and I will be in California this summer from June 7th-14th. I'm a little disappointed it wasn't in July during the Del Mar meet, but I believe this is when Hollywood Park runs.
We will actually be in San Diego, but I plan on making a day or two out there.

#1-Anything good to see around Hollywood Park area after the card ends?
#2-Heard bad things about Inglewood, how is the surrounding area of Hollywood Park?
#3-How do you guys like Hollywood (in comparison to other tracks you've been to)?
#4-Are any other tracks within a reasonable distance (of San Diego) running at this time?
#5-Anyone interested in a few beers and some handicapping?

Get back to me guys, thanks for any info and looking forward to possibly meeting a few of you.

Comments

• turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited December 2007
    still get in contact with me...will have some horses running so you can get
    into the walking ring, our trainer lance stokes is based at hollywood, so you
    can get a tour of the barn area, and watch some work-outs, meet some
    top 10 jockeys, won't say g.gomez, but my partner is a 1st cousin to p.val.

question # 1.....you are only 5 miles from lax, they do have good sites to see
    question# 2.....inglewood is infested with gang members, so even if you
    win after the last race, act as if you did not.....
    question # 3......hollywood would rank last, even behind fairplex and los al
    question # 4......caliente has a dog track in mexico, you might need a visa
    or you could take enough money to drop by los al.on your way back from hollywood
    question # 5.....i drink martel, but will meet and chop it up with you when you come
    to cal.
    and make sure you save $20.00 a get some golden bird fried chicken, it's
    located 3 miles west of the track on century.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited December 2007
    turfman wrote: »
    still get in contact with me...will have some horses running so you can get
    into the walking ring, our trainer lance stokes is based at hollywood, so you
    can get a tour of the barn area, and watch some work-outs, meet some
    top 10 jockeys, won't say g.gomez, but my partner is a 1st cousin to p.val.

question # 1.....you are only 5 miles from lax, they do have good sites to see
    question# 2.....inglewood is infested with gang members, so even if you
    win after the last race, act as if you did not.....
    question # 3......hollywood would rank last, even behind fairplex and los al
    question # 4......caliente has a dog track in mexico, you might need a visa
    or you could take enough money to drop by los al.on your way back from hollywood
    question # 5.....i drink martel, but will meet and chop it up with you when you come
    to cal.
    and make sure you save $20.00 a get some golden bird fried chicken, it's
    located 3 miles west of the track on century.

Sounds good to me turfman. I threw your e-mail from the previous post in my addy book.
    edited December 2007
    will make sure we have some live ponies going that week, my b-day june 6.....
    edited December 2007
    turfman wrote: »
    will make sure we have some live ponies going that week, my b-day june 6.....

Sounds like a plan to me. I'll buy ya a couple drinks for your bday. :cool2:
    edited December 2007
    10-4
  • FASTLANEFASTLANE Member
    edited December 2007
    (1)Hollywood is not worse than Los Al and Fairplex, seriously. Los Al isn't bad to go bet at, just don't bet on crooked Los Al races. Inglewood is scary and we only go to day racing, but...(2)You can not give out the horse that comes in last place. I know you pick some good ones often, but last. at least give me a c/d horse for a superfecta. Even Matt Carothers can get that usually. Be glad you are missing Del Mar except for good skirt to chase. It is the worst track to handicap now and I would rather handicap a bakesale at a church than Del Mar.
    edited December 2007
    FASTLANE wrote: »
    (1)Hollywood is not worse than Los Al and Fairplex, seriously. Los Al isn't bad to go bet at, just don't bet on crooked Los Al races. Inglewood is scary and we only go to day racing, but...(2)You can not give out the horse that comes in last place. I know you pick some good ones often, but last. at least give me a c/d horse for a superfecta. Even Matt Carothers can get that usually. Be glad you are missing Del Mar except for good skirt to chase. It is the worst track to handicap now and I would rather handicap a bakesale at a church than Del Mar.

haha well it'll def be a day meet, more than likely that Sunday's card that I'll be out there. I wouldn't push it with your Matt Carothers hits, I don't even think i've ever seen one of his pick 4's make it :laughing:

Surprisingly Del Mar was my first quite profitable meet in awhile. Anyways, I'll be out there in June so I'll get in touch when it gets a bit closer. :toast:
    edited December 2007
    del mar will be much better for the bettor next year.
    and my comment about hollywood, was the location, not the racing!!!!
    we have two major tracks in california, santa anita, and hollywood park!!!!
    and as far as crooked races, all tracks have them. i say bring back the
    buggies to so.cal!!!!!
    edited December 2007
    I know (about the location), meant no harm toward you. Hell, throw a blazer on and the "locals" think you're somebody. Sit at Whittinham's and they'll buy you beers all day. It's like going to a Cubs game. Hopefully, Del Mar will be better. I've heard they're going to try to make it more "consistent".
    edited December 2007
    i hope so......i just can't bet on 1 mile races ran in 140-2
    edited December 2007
    If you want good mexican food nearby, but safe from Inglewood, go to Manhatten Beach. The brewery there is really good as well. Another restaurant you have to eat at while you are out is right on the hill overlooking Del Mar. I can't find the name of it but, if you take the exit for Del Mar and go towards the water you will see it on the corner to the left. They have a balcony that looks right down the backstretch and the food and service is very good.
    edited December 2007
    FASTLANE wrote: »
    If you want good mexican food nearby, but safe from Inglewood, go to Manhatten Beach. The brewery there is really good as well. Another restaurant you have to eat at while you are out is right on the hill overlooking Del Mar. I can't find the name of it but, if you take the exit for Del Mar and go towards the water you will see it on the corner to the left. They have a balcony that looks right down the backstretch and the food and service is very good.

Thanks I'll be sure to check it out.