Good Early Derby Article...Your Picks?

FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
edited January 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
ESPN - Bad cases of Derby Fever - Horse Racing

After reading this it got me thinking as to some good early derby horses for the upcoming event. Three horses came to mind for me. My first selection was from the BC w/ Tale of Ekati, although he didn't run a lick, I'm hoping it was due to the track conditions. My second selection was after a tip from DC on here to bet Into Mischief in his first time start. Won with ease and I backed him his two starts after. His second run just didn't really pan out the way he needed it. The second run (Cash Call Futurity) proved to me that Into Mischief is a derby contender. My third selection actually came out of this race. My dad and I were watching the post parade and I saw Monba for the first time. Amazing looking horse, and based off looks looked the best in the race (damn good on paper too). Anyways, although everyone claims Colonel John was the one who suffered the most from the break and ride, I differ and say Monba did. After breaking Monba sat between last and third to last the majority of the race. After deciding to make his move Gomez weaved him in and out until finally just going wide and hitting his best stride too late (just missing the top 3 finishers). With a better drive and break, I thought Monba was the best horse in the race.

So after my ramble, what horses would you guys like to enroll and compete in the derby?