Pyro scratching from Derby?

FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
edited April 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Rumors have been floating about Pyro possibly scratching from the Derby...has any one heard anything on this? Nothing has been confirmed and no reasoning has even been provided, be it mental and/or physical. Seeing a 2nd major contender go down in 2 weeks is not what the derby needs (N)

Comments

• turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    was pass and pyro were both not at the top of their game...
    and i needed a scratch to get bob black jack in...advance bet at 50-1...
    so i at least get to see my money go around the track!!!! keep hope alive
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2008
    Rumors from where?
  • DuckgawdDuckgawd Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    I dont think anyone is thinking pryo not in top form, after the race over the keeneland surface, not a proven horse on the synthetic and I wouldnt be too worried about it, I would be shocked if Pyro gets scratched
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    when a horse runs a bad race.....it's always the"racing surface fault"
    after 35 years....they win......they get beat......it's all that simple......
  • tblues2008tblues2008 Member
    edited April 2008
    I haven't heard anything about that at all. I think he is going to run.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    Rumors from where?

Other internet sources. Multiple people, wouldn't consider them 100% reliable sources, thats why I came here. I figured you or another more reliable source could confirm or deny these rumors. I was kinda hoping you had heard something about this :sad:
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    I heard he wasn't 100% after the Blue Grass and thats why Asmussen already declined the Breeders Cup for PYRO, I just left a voice mail too one of my contacts that is close to the Asmussen barn to see the status of PYRO.

FB
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2008
    I theorized immediately after the Blue Grass that perhaps Pyro had hurt himself. But if that were the case, i think we would've known by now. If he's indeed injured, it wouldn't come as a complete shock, but i would be very surprised.
  • loukygtsloukygts Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    we havent heard anything here in Louisville?? He shipped to churchill a couple days ago with curlin.
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited April 2008
    This is what Toby Turrell said:

If Steve isn't worried, then neither am I

I did everything in my power not to mess up this key assignment. There are horses you want to know about. I'm guessing PYRO is one of them. I went to bed a half hour early and made sure that I arrived at the track well before dawn. I was not going to miss PYRO. who was scheduled to go a 1/2 mile over Keeneland's Polytrack on Monday morning.

As I said to a new friend of mine here Sunday morning, when it comes to life in general, don't ever try to assume to much, ESPECIALLY when it comes to most horse racing.

Bottom line, PRYO did breeze a 1/2 in company but no one could see 95% of the drill or time it because of a dense fog that hovered above right up until closing time at 10 a.m.

Steve Asmussen's take on PYRO and the work was simple, "no matter how much of this we can see, it isnt going to change anything come Kentucky Derby day."
    edited April 2008
    Yea it looks as if it was just that, a rumor, found this clip on bloodhorse today.

We finally got a chance to get a good look at Steve Asmussen’s pair of Pyro and Z Fortune, who came out in the second and third sets. If looks are going to go a long way in determining the Derby winner, Asmussen has got to be feeling very good about his chances. For the past week, there have been rumors flying all over the country that Pyro was having problems. Even after the colt worked at Keeneland, the rumors persisted. From what we saw this morning, mainly from an overall physical standpoint, the son of Pulpit couldn’t be looking any better. He is a powerfully made colt, with a strong shoulder and hind end. His coat looks great and he moved well over the track, although he didn’t really gallop that far. The second he stepped foot on the track, with assistant trainer Scott Blasi alongside on the pony, he broke off into a strong canter and looked good the one time he galloped around. He’s not a long striding colt like Colonel John or Adriano. His action is much quicker, which probably accounted for his quick bursts of speed in the stretch of the Risen Star (gr. III) and Louisiana Derby (gr. II).

No one knows how he’s going to rebound off his poor effort in the Toyota Blue Grass (gr. I) or why he ran so badly. Was it strictly the Polytrack? But from his overall appearance, he certainly is eligible to return to the Pyro of old.
  • travstartravstar Junior Member
    edited April 2008
    Pyro is over - over rated ... . I bet him to lose. Scratch him now and save face Stevie A.
  • edited April 2008
    the reason why pyro ran like he did was because he was already qualified and didn''t need to win the race at keeneland. the horse had an attitude.what am i or why do i have to race today. so he was just getting some exercise. he will probally be in. i think that since war pass is scratced they should put in autism awareness. or was it just made for him to only win that one race?
    edited April 2008
    richard61 wrote: »
    the reason why pyro ran like he did was because he was already qualified and didn''t need to win the race at keeneland. the horse had an attitude.what am i or why do i have to race today. so he was just getting some exercise. he will probally be in. i think that since war pass is scratced they should put in autism awareness. or was it just made for him to only win that one race?

They can't just put in Autism Awareness, he needs the graded earnings to qualify.

As for Pyro, no he didn't need to win the race, but he was ridden and did not respond. If he was just breezing through the race I wouldn't expect him to do anything, but Bridgmohan even gave Pyro a few whip taps with no response what-so-ever.

Every week that goes by makes it harder and harder for me not to bet Big Brown.
  • edited April 2008
    well, i hope pyro's not scatched. i have a $2.00 future wager on him and i don't like losing it like i did with war pass. this year you may see a long shot come in as the winner. it has been that way the past few weeks when the favorites were just beaten left and right. a tvg host last weekend gave me an idea who might take it. court vision. i guess he's his horse.
    edited April 2008

Autism Awareness is off the trail as he came out of the race he won with a injury. Try to give us a little better post on info and comments.

FB
  • edited April 2008
    some horse races are fixed for certain horses to win. they are only good for that one race and thats it. like autism awareness, giacomo, to name a few.r
  • edited April 2008
    i have a $5.00 future bet on big brown. is he the next one to be scratched.?
    edited April 2008
    some horse races are fixed for certain horses to win. they are only good for that one race and thats it. like autism awareness, giacomo, to name a few.r

If you think Giacomo won the Derby because it was fixed you shouldn't even show up in a forum of this magnitude. The Kentucky Derby was fixed (LOL)!!!!!!!

FB
    edited April 2008
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I heard he wasn't 100% after the Blue Grass and thats why Asmussen already declined the Breeders Cup for PYRO, I just left a voice mail too one of my contacts that is close to the Asmussen barn to see the status of PYRO.

FB

I just got a call back from my source and he says PYRO doesn't look right besides what the media pundits are saying and there are sayings from Asmussen barn he might work Pyro in compmany with the big horse. He actually stated PYRO doesn't look the part of a Derby Horse at this time.

FB
    edited April 2008
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I just got a call back from my source and he says PYRO doesn't look right besides what the media pundits are saying and there are sayings from Asmussen barn he might work Pyro in compmany with the big horse. He actually stated PYRO doesn't look the part of a Derby Horse at this time.

FB

Maybe the rumors were true then, hmm.

I'm really finding it hard to go against Big Brown here. I hate playing the favorites, but Pyro was one of my few hopes to take him on. It looks as if Colonel John is his #1 contender now.

As much as I love Tale of Ekati, I don't think he has enough to get it done. The only thing he has going for him will be his positioning. I'm assuming he'll be placed in a descent stalking spot (assuming traffic doesnt take him out).