Notes on today's Saratoga 2yo race

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
This on #3 Munnings (from a consigner at the Fasig-Tipton sale):

"He's a lovely colt, and he's done everything right from the beginning," Mulligan said. "We've thought he was a special horse for three or four months. It's pretty well known he went out (after working an eighth in :10) the fastest of anything in the sale. I got him in :33 flat and some people got him in :33 1/5. Going into the turn, he switched to his left lead and just hit another gear and kept on rolling. He's a big, good-looking colt. They say he looks just like his father."

This on #6 Just a Coincidence (from DiscreetPicks.com):

2yo Zito firster comes out of a gate drill where he seems to have out-worked Brave Victory, and Brave Victory came out that drill to run a close second behind Cognito on Wednesday. Looks like Just a Coincidence is probably the better of the two, and it's definitely worth noting that Zito debuted War Pass on the first Saturday of the Saratoga meet last year. In fact, he's using the same rider today (Nakatani) that he used aboard War Pass last year, and Just a Coincidence is owned by the same guy who owned War Pass.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2008
    Here's some video footage of Munnings at the sale:

YouTube - Speightstown-La Comete
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited July 2008
    Nice info. They ran 1-2 after some monster fractions. Just a Coincidence also had a rough outside trip.
  • laker5laker5 Member
    edited July 2008
    DC, once again...you are good.
    edited August 2008
    Just a Coincidence goes in Race 2 today. Should run well, obviously.
    edited August 2008
    Caught late after dueling early. No play @ 1/2 anyway.
    edited August 2008
    Btw, Munnings runs in the Grade 1 Hopeful Stakes tomorrow on Closing Day.
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    zito horse is not as good as brave victory he had no excuse today they went a half in 46 and he stopped . they finished in 1.11.2 thats 25.2 last quarter . first race must have took a toll on him . i would bet against munnings in the hopeful. i really like cribnote he drew well and loved the way he rated in race the other day . any opinon cat ? thats what i saw today .
    edited August 2008
    I do know that Mani Bhavan ran a 1:25 something in the Spinaway, so Just a Coincidence stacks up pretty well against her. I haven't been all that impressed with Mani Bhavan though, in fact i tried to beat her with Jardin today. Incidentally, Jardin had been working with Hopeful entrant Cognito heading into today's race. I suppose you could give him a slight upgrade here, but i think he's still a bit of an outsider vs. this group.
    edited June 2009
    This on #3 Munnings (from a consigner at the Fasig-Tipton sale):

"He's a lovely colt, and he's done everything right from the beginning," Mulligan said. "We've thought he was a special horse for three or four months. It's pretty well known he went out (after working an eighth in :10) the fastest of anything in the sale. I got him in :33 flat and some people got him in :33 1/5. Going into the turn, he switched to his left lead and just hit another gear and kept on rolling. He's a big, good-looking colt. They say he looks just like his father."

You heard it here first, guys...