Freebie for Pacific Classic Day

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
Del Mar - Race 6

#4 Holy Thunder (5/1 ml)

Gary Mandella turfer ran a nice race last time out while pressing the pace from the inside, and now catches a field without much early speed. Could get loose on the front end and prove tough to catch.

HRT record:

48 for 154 (31%)

$413.40 mutuels (%48.61 avg)

Comments

• peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    hey cat u know anything about bafferts 1ster today at saratoga.heavenly vision in the 6th
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2008
    I know she worked head-up from the gate with Century Park on July 23. That one came out of that drill to run a well-bet third behind Empressive Lady on July 27.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    DC, what are your thoughts about Mostacolli Mort in the Classic? He's been impressive to me since turning 4. While the fractions in the San Diego were solid, Well Armed went wire-to-wire after a having an easy lead with stalker surf cat getting up for second. Mort came from the completely back and circled everyone else to run a descent third. Not saying Mort will take it, but for a pricer in the race what would you think? There seems to be a ton of pace in this race and it makes me think closers like Student Council or Mort will be coming late.
    edited August 2008
    I played Mostacolli Mort today.

By the way, Holy Thunder missed by a nose @ 7/2.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    I played Mostacolli Mort today.

By the way, Holy Thunder missed by a nose @ 7/2.

Yea I had them both. I was praying for a Colonel John photo for Holy Thunder but no such luck. I knew Mort was screwed after his break and the fractions not being as quick as I expected. He did have a little late kick though, I'll be playing both horses next out.
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited August 2008
    It was very well capped by DC, he absolutely was the lone speed and had things all to himself. He went the half in 51, and was jogging the whole race.

As for betting him next time, obviously depends on where he ends up and against who, but he'll never have it any easier than he had it yesterday. If he can't win with that trip, I don't know how he'll beat open Mdns routing on the turf. Be careful.
    edited August 2008
    I agree, he had absolutely no excuse for losing yesterday. That being said, Rumba Along is a very nice horse, and was laying pretty close through slow fractions also. It was obvious he had a ton of gas left as well. The closing fractions were very fast, as you would expect. Rumba Along was simply better.