Big Brown vs. the field

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2008 in Horse Racing Forum
I noticed a horseracing matchup involving Big Brown, with the field (all other horses in the race) laying -157 vs. Big Brown in today's Monmouth Stakes. I think there's definitely value on the field here. For those who don't know, Big Brown didn't look so hot last time out, and is now facing a good field of older turf horses in what supposed to be an easy prep for the Breeders Cup Classic. Big Brown has never faced older horses before, he may not be in the best of form these days, and he almost certainly isn't 100% cranked for this race. Also, consider this quote in the Racing Form from Big Brown's connections:

"We made it very clear that this race is a prep race," Iavarone added. "We're not looking for his best race here, we're looking for his best race in October. . . . We could run second in this race like Curlin did [in the Man o' War] and be happy knowing we're going to move forward."

This from a group of guys who beat their chests like King Kong at every opportunity. It sounds to me like they're already making excuses for a loss.

Comments

• Jack StrawJack Straw Banned
    edited September 2008
    As I stated in my blog earlier in the week , Big Brown has very little chance of winning today or ever again. He is a BIG bet AGAINST today at Monmouth IF he runs. He has as much of a chance to win as they do getting breeders to pay $5000 for The Green Monkey !!
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    I like Proudinsky and Silver Tree :cool2:
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Today is the day everyone is knocking BB and watch him go off at decent odds and destroy this field, everyone love Proudinsky and this one is as erratic as they come. I hope BB destroy field as I'm not betting the race as it will make him move a play against in the Classic.

FB
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited September 2008
    Most everyone dislikes BB becasue of his connections, if he was trained by Zito, Mott, or Pletecher he would be the next Big Red by the media and others. I have learned a long time ago don't bet against a team or horse if you don't like the jock on the team. BB has only lost one race and we all saw what happened that day and he came back after that race and ran lone speed down at Monmouth being very eratic down the lane. Proudeskiy was all out and had the perfect set up turf with give and a fast pace and he couldnt' still get by BB and Kent D. never used the whip and just gave him a couple of nudges with this right shoulder and he keep them all at bay. Give this 3yo colt some credit, who the hell has Curlin beat this year? First race on turf looked very average that is why you havent' seen him back on it. Jess Jackson is great for horseracing and shold run Curlin on the sticky stuff as it would be BB and Curlin's first race over the sticky stuff.

FB
  • hotbustophotbustop Member
    edited September 2008
    I hope it happens becasue I'll be grabbing the bag for all the money I'l win on Curlin.