Update on The Pamplemousse

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited January 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Our favorite grey Derby prospect blew out 3 furlongs this morning. Looks like he's being pointed to the San Rafael on Saturday.

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    THE PAMPLEMOUSSE 100.3 - 1-8-09

This quality youngster traveled 5/8 of a mile with Alex
    Solis in the irons as he sat still through the opening 3/8
    of 36.2 and continued to sit still through the stretch run
    as he concluded his move in 100.2; that’s a 24.0 final 1/4
    without ever being asked a drop; this was a very good
    move for PAMPLEMOUSSE as he appears to be a
    rising star based on the way he is training lately.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Hey Cat I Think Im Going To Get A Good Price Because Of Square Eddie Being Entered.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2009
    Ouch. Square Eddie is pretty nice.

Btw, there's a colt from the same connections (originally) as Square Eddie, named Axel Foley, who i think might have some potential. I bet him in the CashCall Futurity at around 30/1, and he ran a sneaky-good race. Appears to want some distance.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Square Eddie is one of my Top Choices for the Derby along with, I say again, Free Country
  • jenroypajenroypa Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    DC- Is that the Axel Foley intered at GG this weekend for the Cal Derby?
    edited January 2009
    Must be.
    edited January 2009
    Just did some looking around on Axel Foley. It says on Bloodhorse that he'll be making his second start for Doug O'Neill, but that's incorrect. He was still being trained by John Best when he ran in the CashCall Futurity, because he hadn't been sold yet. I take this to mean that he has now been sold and transferred to Doug O'Neill, as Square Eddie was.
    edited January 2009
    I Also Bet Him In The Futurity At 30-1.he Looked Like He Needed That Race Over Here.nice Stride..cat Your Horse Aplha Kitten Is Running As Well.....
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    rayphil wrote: »
    I Also Bet Him In The Futurity At 30-1.he Looked Like He Needed That Race Over Here.nice Stride..cat Your Horse Aplha Kitten Is Running As Well.....

Yea DC, was just going to post something about Alpha Kitten running tomorrow. I know last time out you were pretty high on her but she didn't seem to like the route. She turns back to 7 furlongs now. Toughest competition looks to be Evita Argentina after she flew home in the stretch in her last.

As for the San Rafael, I have no idea how I will be playing this one. Square Eddie has proven himself over here and he looks to go off as a heavy favorite (4/5 I would presume). The Pamplemousse has been a horse I've been keeping an eye on, just didn't think he'd have to go toe to toe with Square Eddie. If I get any form of a price on the Pamplemousse I'll make a play. If the hype surrounding him gives me 5/2 on him, I'll be watching this one.

Anyone have any thoughts on Nownownow? Haven't seen the form for his race yet, but when he has pace to run at, look out. He's 12-1 on the line.
    edited January 2009
    The Pamplemousse does seem to be attracting some attention, but rightfully so. If nothing else, he'll have a recency edge on Square Eddie. I dunno though, i'm not anxious to play against Square Eddie at a shortish price. I do expect The Pamplemousse will be plenty tough, however. We'll see what happens.

Regarding Alpha Kitten, that last race was run in a very bizzare fashion. She went right up to lay second early but then got taken back pretty sharply when there was sudden rush-up to the lead by the entire freaking field (or so it seemed). Hard to describe, you just need to see it. Cost her a few lengths. I agree that the turnback to a sprint will probably be to her benefit. Haven't looked at the race yet, but i imagine i'll be liking her. Hard to hold that last one against her, particularly when she's not routing this time.
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Madeo The Best Bet On The Card Had Nowhere To Run Last .
    edited January 2009
    Hey Cat Asmussen Loaded For Bear At Fgs Tomm Unreal
    edited January 2009
    I've decided against betting Axel Foley today. I was hoping that he would've been working in company with Square Eddie, and he has not, but mostly i'm concerned that O'Neill has given the ride to Quinonez. Nothing against Quinonez personally, but he's only won at 3% for O'Neill over 63 mounts since the beginning of last year. I have to think that O'Neill hasn't exactly been bowled-over by this horse, otherwise he would've enlisted a rider that he's had some success with. Interested to see what he does today, but i couldn't back him with any confidence.
    edited January 2009
    Ran A Big Race Very Nice Guys Good Pick 5/2 Pretty Good Price.
    edited January 2009
    The Mooooouse. Well Cat Aplha Kitten Won 5.00 My Derby Horse Pamplemouse Won 7.20......ahorse To Play Is Slew Tiznow The Dirt Mile Was Way To Much To Soon But His Last Race Was Super Fast And I Expect A Huge Race Today......4-1 With 10 Mtp.
    edited January 2009
    Well that pretty much made my weekend. Way to go, Pamplemousse!!!
    edited January 2009
    I Really Like Madeo Had No Chance The Last Time.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    Yea DC, was just going to post something about Alpha Kitten running tomorrow. I know last time out you were pretty high on her but she didn't seem to like the route. She turns back to 7 furlongs now. Toughest competition looks to be Evita Argentina after she flew home in the stretch in her last.

As for the San Rafael, I have no idea how I will be playing this one. Square Eddie has proven himself over here and he looks to go off as a heavy favorite (4/5 I would presume). The Pamplemousse has been a horse I've been keeping an eye on, just didn't think he'd have to go toe to toe with Square Eddie. If I get any form of a price on the Pamplemousse I'll make a play. If the hype surrounding him gives me 5/2 on him, I'll be watching this one.

Anyone have any thoughts on Nownownow? Haven't seen the form for his race yet, but when he has pace to run at, look out. He's 12-1 on the line.

3 for 3 for me in the Stakes today :x-grin:
    $238 Pick-3.
    Blinkers on and a beautiful rail ride by Talamo is all Nownownow needed. For once he was 20 lengths off the pace at the start.
  • justin13892002justin13892002 Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the updates on Pamplemousse. Bet $20 out front, knew horse had enough to beat Square Eddie. Good job also FlyinLate, nice hit.
    edited January 2009
    Axel Foley ran second in the Cal Derby @ 8/1. Glad i passed the race, though i suppose i could've had the exacta, as favored Chocolate Candy won the race.

Incidentally, both horses were exiting the CashCall Futurity, which flatters both Pioneerof The Nile and I Want Revenge.
    edited January 2009
    I Bet Axel Foley Yesterday And He Looked Like The Winner Turning For Home But Could Not Out Kick The Favorite...