135th Kentucky Derby Trail Tid Bits

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    This is going to be one tough Derby to hit this year, I live for reading this shit and breaking all this info down each year. I'm ate up with it. I get so aggravated when I cannot find anything new to read and so on. We have seen the derby winner already and he raced last year. The forgotten horsese will be Midshipman and V.H., I will ask Baffert what he really thinks of Midshipman since he is gone from him. I hope to have that info soon.

FB
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2009
    Speaking for myself, i hate the Derby. I really do. I think it's about a thousand times overblown, and most of the horses ithat wind up in the race simply aren't that good. And the field is so bulky, it can compromise that chances of the horses who DO belong in the race. I much prefer the Breeders Cup, it's not even close.

All that being said, the Derby is "what's hot" in the horseracing industry during these months ahead, and of course all the speculation is fun and can be very interesting. And of course there's the gambling aspect of it with Derby futures and the head-to-head matchups, so i do follow the Derby Trail pretty closely also. Hopefully we can zone in on a few contenders here (Go Pamplemousse) and make some money when this whole thing is said and done. The Derby prep-races are part of that also, as i've always been pretty good at evaluating young talent and there are always some nice overlays in the Derby preps. I know we did pretty well on Behindatthebar in the Lexington last year, and of course horses like Free Country and The Pamplemousse and Theregoesjojo (nice call Peacerules) have already been kind to HRT posters.
    edited January 2009
    Lecomte Stakes (G3) winner Friesan Fire (A.P. Indy), third-place
    finisher Au Moon (Malibu Moon), and 2008 Kentucky Jockey Club
    Stakes (G2) runner-up Giant Oak
    (Giant’s Causeway) are under consideration
    for the $200,000 Risen
    Star Stakes (G3) on February 7.
    Nominations closed on Sunday
    for the Risen Star, the track’s final
    major prep for the $600,000
    Louisiana Derby (G2) on March 14.
    Giant Oak drilled a bullet six furlongs
    in 1:14.20 on January 24 at the
    New Orleans track while working in
    company with Brothers Nicholas (Smart Strike) for trainer Chris Block.
    “We got what we wanted,” Block said following the breeze, the fastest
    of four timed moves at the distance “We broke off a couple of lengths
    behind and hooked up with the other horse at the head of the lane.”
    edited January 2009
    Sophomore HAYNESFIELD (Speightstown), victorious in the Count Fleet S. and Damon Runyon S. in his last two, breezed five furlongs in 1:03 3/5 over Belmont Park's fast training track on Monday. The Steve Asmussen trainee is expected to line up in the February 7 Whirlaway S.
    edited January 2009
    Over a fast track at Palm Meadows, Iroquois S. (G3) star CAPT. CANDYMAN CAN (Candy Ride [Arg]) reeled off four furlongs in :49 3/5 in advance of Friday's Hutcheson S. (G2). The Ian Wilkes pupil is coming off a third-place effort in the Kentucky Jockey Club S. (G2).
    edited January 2009
    Highly regarded sophomore BROTHER KEITH (Johar), fourth after an eventful trip in the San Rafael S. (G3), was timed in 1:00 3/5.
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Hey Cat The Dosage On The Pamplemousse Suprised Me Also Wont Be Using Old Fashioned He Had Everything His Own Way In Ny In The Remsen.wont Be Such The Case In The Southwest With Silver City In The Race This Is A Nice Horse If He Will Stretchout Is Cannai Going To Get A Race On Dirt For The Mousse Or Not .
    edited January 2009
    By Steve Davidowitz

Although a few early-season prep races already have been run, the road to the 2009 Kentucky Derby really does not begin in earnest until this weekend when the $150,000 Holy Bull Stakes will be run at Gulfstream on Saturday, followed by the $200,000 Risen Star at Fair Grounds on Feb. 7; the $200,000 Robert B. Lewis at Santa Anita, also on Feb. 7; the $225,000 Sam F. Davis at Tampa Bay Downs on Feb. 14; and the $250,000 Southwest at Oaklawn Park on Feb. 16.

While many will enter the Triple Crown chase with promising resumes, it is of paramount importance to gain insight into which horses are likely to fail to handle two-turn races and/or graded stakes competition at a mile and beyond. In fact, it can be argued that more money will be made by players who anticipate the distance and/or surface questions surrounding many highly publicized classics prospects.

For this reason I tend to group Derby prospects into three relatively flexible groups:

* Horses that probably will relish distances beyond one mile around two turns.

* Horses best suited to one-turn distances, up to but not necessarily including one mile.

* Questionable prospects, with probable preferences for turf and/or synthetic tracks, as well as horses dealing with health issues.

Based on last year's 2-year-old form, Remsen Stakes winner Old Fashioned probably enters this Derby season as numero uno on most Derby watch lists, at least those focusing on horses training in America.

In Dubai, we have at least three high-profile Derby prospects - the Breeders' Cup Juvenile winner Midshipman, the Hopeful and Champagne stakes winner Vineyard Haven, and the Breeders' Juvenile Turf winner Donativum, all of whom are now owned by Godolphin stables and are being trained by Saeed bin Suroor. While plans are uncertain, any of these three or other Godolphin owned 3-year-olds may be pointed to the Kentucky Derby via the UAE Derby on World Cup Night, March 28.

Among the many highly regarded 3-year-olds here in America, several dozen are bred well enough to handle the added distances, while the other two groups include many who will get at least one more chance to prove they should move forward towards the 1 1/4-mile Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs, May 2.

Among the American-based 3-year-olds that probably will relish distances beyond one mile around two turns are:

Break Water Edison, stretch-running winner of the one-mile Nashua at Aqueduct last fall; Imperial Council, a late-developing Shug McGaughey trainee bred to improve going longer; Pioneerof the Nile and I Want Revenge, the one-two finishers in the CashCall Futurity at Hollywood last fall.

California Derby winner Chocolate Candy; Giant Oak, second in the Kentucky Jockey Club; West Side Bernie, winner of the Kentucky Cup Juvenile at Turfway Park last fall; Point Encounter, a Dec. 26 maiden winner at Santa Anita with a strong distance pedigree; Professor Z, impressive allowance winner around two turns in December; Quality Road, recently second in his season debut at Gulfstream for trainer Jimmy Jerkens; and Atomic Rain, second to Old Fashioned in the Remsen.

Hello Broadway, a good second to Break Water Edison in the Nashua; Poltergeist, runaway winner of a recent one mile allowance at Oaklawn Park; Friesan Fire, Patena, and Au Moon, one-two-three finishers in the Lecomte at Fair Grounds on Jan 11.

American Dance, a stoutly bred third in the Remsen for Todd Pletcher; Checklist, a slowly developing Pletcher-trained winner of a maiden sprint Jan 3 at Gulfstream; and Dunkirk, Pletcher's $3.7-million yearling purchase who looked terrific winning his seven-furlong debut by open lengths at Gulfstream last week.

Coffee Bar, a Woodbine winner at 1 1/16 miles, now training at Santa Anita; Danger to Society, a Ken McPeek-trained winner of a good allowance route at Gulfstream; Taqarub, a solidly bred winner of two races in New York for Kiaran McLaughlin; Silver City, easy winner of an allowance race at Churchill; and Big Drama, already a five-time winner including the 1 1/16-mile Delta Jackpot.

The Pamplemousse, a strong-looking winner over highly rated Square Eddie in the one-mile San Rafael on Jan. 17 who has a dirt pedigree; Alma d'Oro and Copper Cascade, both winners of one-mile maiden races at Gulfstream earlier this month; Heir to the Stone and Mr. Fantasy, a pair of impressive New York-bred maiden winners; and Nuclear Wayne, a distance-bred colt who won a sprint with a 96 Beyer Speed Figure.

Among the horses best suited to one-turn distances are:

Munnings, who ran well in one-turn graded stakes in New York last fall and is a son of sprint champion Speightstown; Haynesfield, also by Speightstown and proven in New York sprint stakes; Hornung, still another son of Speightstown who was a good third in a recent allowance sprint at Golden Gate Fields.

Notonthesamepage, who earned a 115 Beyer Speed Figure in a sprint stakes at Gulfstream; Captain Cherokee, who looked sharp in a recent Fair Grounds score but is a half-brother to champion sprinter Midnight Lute.

Primary Witness, winner of his debut at Gulfstream Jan. 14 and primarily bred for one-turn sprints; Azul Leon, who rallied to win the Best Pal at Del Mar last summer but failed to hold that form when sent two turns; Capt. Candyman Can, who won the one-turn mile Iroquois at Churchill last fall but faded badly when sent two turns in the 1 1/16-mile Kentucky Jockey Club; Ask Joe, who won the six-furlong Sugar Bowl at the Fair Grounds but must prove he can handle two turns; and Musket Man, who flashed blazing sprint speed winning a small stakes at Tampa Bay Downs.

In category three are horses with a known preference for turf and/or synthetic tracks, as well as horses still recovering from physical setbacks.

Charitable Man, for instance, was an impressive, stretch-running winner of the seven-furlong Futurity at Belmont last fall, but is recovering from an injury.

Square Eddie, second in the BC Juvenile and second to The Pamplemousse in the San Rafael Stakes on the Pro-Ride track at Santa Anita Jan. 17, may go to Oaklawn for the Southwest or the Fair Grounds for the Risen Star to prove he can handle dirt. The British import Ryehill Dreamer was an okay third in the San Rafael in his American stakes debut and may need a race on dirt this spring.

The stretch-running filly Stardom Bound, certain to be voted champion 2-year-old filly of 2008, may be pointed towards the Santa Anita Derby in April. Yet, Stardom Bound is likely to arrive in Louisville for the Kentucky Oaks or Kentucky Derby without a prior race on dirt.

Beethoven, a Polytrack maiden winner at Turfway Park last fall, also won the Kentucky Jockey Club stakes at Churchill but is a question mark at 10 furlongs. Giralamo, a Kiaran McLaughlin trainee, flashed promise at Saratoga last summer before going off form and is in Dubai to regroup.

Majormotionpicture looked good winning his 2008 career debut at Del Mar but was sidelined and may return at Santa Anita in February. Coronet of a Baron was a sharp second to Midshipman in the Del Mar Futurity and a good third in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf, but needs a dirt race at one mile or longer to confirm his Derby credentials. Jack Spratt, a winner of a turf stakes, is likely to make his dirt debut in the $250,000 Fountain of Youth at Gulfstream, Feb. 28.

Rocketing Returns, sharp winner of a Calder allowance sprint, may prefer distances up to 1 1/16 miles. Theregoesjojo, a Ken McPeek-trained allowance winner at Gulfstream, seems bred for grass. Top Seed, a sprint stakes winner at Tampa Bay Downs, will get his two turn test in the Sam F. Davis. Axel Foley, a British import who was second in the California Derby, also needs a dirt test.

Bittel Road, fourth in the CashCall Futurity, was more impressive in his grass races last year. Cribnote is recovering from an injury incurred when third in the Champagne last fall.

And then there is Nicanor, Barbaro's heavily hyped full brother, who has trained well in recent weeks and is nearing his career debut at Gulfstream Park for trainer Michael Matz.

At the bottom line, within a month we all should know quite a bit about the vast majority of horses mentioned in the above three groupings.
    edited January 2009
    The purse for this Louisiana Derby prep was cut by $100,000 this year.

Posted Jan. 28, 2008

Risen Star Shaping Up. Grade III Lecomte Stakes winner Friesan Fire (Looking Good) and third-place finisher Au Moon (Worth Watching) head the list of 3-year-olds under consideration for the Grade III Risen Star Stakes Feb. 7 at Fair Grounds. The Risen Star is the final major local prep for the Grade II $600,000 Louisiana Derby on March 14.

Likely to join in the fray are:

--Code of Honour, third in Delta Downs' Triple Sec Stakes on Jan. 16;

--Giant Oak (Looking Good), second in Churchill's Grade II Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes on Nov. 29;

--Indygo Mountain (Worth Watching), sixth in the Lecomte;

--It Happened Again, winner of the Triple Sec;

--Summer's Empire (Just In Case), who captured Hawthorne's Jim Edgar Illinois Futurity Dec. 13; and

--Theregoesjojo (Worth Watching), a handy winner in allowance company at Gulfstream Jan. 10.

Giant Oak, trained by Chris Block, breezed a bullet six furlongs in 1:14 at Fair Grounds Jan. 24, working in company with Brothers Nicholas, an older horse who was fourth in the Grade II Hawthorne Gold Cup last year.

"We got what we wanted," said Block following the move. "We broke off a couple of lengths behind and hooked up with the other horse at the head of the lane."
    edited January 2009
    Checklist, at 9-5, Seeks Repeat on Friday. Nothing could keep up with him in his debut, and now he's being sent out for the second time with Derby hopes in mind for his connections.

Leading a field of eight going six furlongs on Friday at Gulfstream Park is Checklist (Worth Watching), who impressively broke his maiden at Gulfstream on opening day, Jan. 3. On the lead at each call of the six-furlong race, he was ridden out by John Velazquez to win by four, timed in 1:10.28 after clicking off fractions of :21.99 and :44.91.

Velazquez is back on board Friday in the allowance race, and Checklist is a 9-5 morning line. Todd Pletcher trains for Starlight Partners. Checklist is a $400,000 Keeneland purchase.

Pletcher also entered Kickapoo, a son of Indian Charlie owned by Dogwood Stable. Kickapoo is looking for his second win in three starts. Joe Bravo has the assignment on the 6-1 Kickapoo.

Brave Victory, a bay colt by Lion Heart out of the Copelan mare I'm in Celebration, is trained by Nick Zito. Owned by Robert LaPenta, Brave Victory is set at 3-1 off a a win and two places from five 2008 starts. Julein Leparoux has the mount.

Ken McPeek, who's had a hot hand, drew the rail with Fitzaslew (12-1), a two-time starter owned by Alliance Racing III. Away from racing since September 1, Fitzaslew broke his maiden back in June when he won a five-furlong race at Churchill Downs, timed in :58.86. He was switched to turf in the Miller Lite Cradle Stakes at River Downs, where he checked in sixth. Kent Desormeax rides.

Other starters are Yes I'm Clever (trained by Stanley Hough, 8-1), Executive Coach (James DiVito, 15-1), Jimmymac Bear (Reade Baker, 5-1) and Bidham (Jose Pinchin, 8-1)

It's the seventh race. Post time is 4:12 ET.
    edited January 2009
    By Marcus Hersh
    Old Fashioned's scheduled 3-year-old debut in the Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park still is more than two weeks away, but a Thursday morning workout at Fair Grounds suggested Old Fashioned is ready for anything. Having by far his most serious piece of exercise so far this year, Old Fashioned flew through a five-furlong workout in 58.80 seconds after breaking from the gate. That time was 1.20 seconds quicker than the next-fastest five-furlong work of the morning, and that breeze, by the 3-year-old Indygo Mountain, came with a running start.

"He did it well within himself," said trainer Larry Jones. "I picked him up galloping out after a mile, and I still had to catch him with the pony."

Jones said clockers had timed Old Fashioned, ridden by Gabriel Saez, galloping out six furlongs in just more than 1:11, which would be an extraordinary work time at Fair Grounds.

"He wasn't blowing as much as he was after his last five-eighths work," Jones said. "He was more prepared for this. We wanted to get his juices flowing, but he just does it awfully easy. Gabriel never really let him go."

Jones worked Old Fashioned from the gate in response to a series of recent morning injuries at Fair Grounds. Jones noted that injuries had occurred in the homestretch, and since the gate is placed at the head of the stretch in the morning, Old Fashioned went through the stretch early in his work, which concluded on the backstretch.

"I can't find anything at all wrong with the track, but I didn't want to take a shot on him going through that area on tired legs," said Jones. "That was the main reason we went to the gate."

Old Fashioned remains on course to ship to Oaklawn for the Feb. 16 Southwest sometime on Monday, and Jones said he planned to haul the horse from New Orleans to Hot Springs in his own trailer.

"I know I've got precious cargo, and this way I can make sure everything goes the way I want," Jones said. "My dad was a long-haul trucker, and I learned at an early age how I ought to be driving to satisfy my dad."
    edited January 2009
    By Jennie Rees • jrees@courier-journal.comThe Courier-Journal • January 29, 2009

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. -- Trainers like to say they take things one race at a time. That's John Ward's philosophy with the 3-year-old colt Beethoven.

It's just that the one race he is singling out happens to be the Kentucky Derby.

Any doubt of that was wiped away as easily as Ward erased the number 98 on his barn chalkboard and changed it to 97 one recent morning at Gulfstream Park. That was the number of days left until the 135th Derby at Churchill Downs. It's now down to 93 -- not that Ward needs a reminder.

"That's for my help, to understand why everything is so critical," he said at Gulfstream, where Beethoven will begin his 3-year-old campaign in Saturday's Grade III Holy Bull Stakes. He'll start from post 11 in a field of 11.

Then there's Ward's training book, in which one horse's plans are laid out more than a week ahead. That's Beethoven, whose schedule has been doped out for the next three months.

"This is a run date," Ward said, pointing to May 2 in the book. "This is all his works. This is how many days until the race. He hasn't run since Nov. 29, so he's had about 60 days.

"If I can get a really good performance in the mile and an eighth, I can wait the 56 days or whatever it is until the (March 28) Florida Derby, then five weeks back to the Kentucky Derby. But if I don't have a good race, then I have to question whether or not I can keep him at the level I want him to be just by training."

Ward said he also used such far-reaching planning with 2001 Derby winner Monarchos, but there's a big difference. Monarchos ran only twice at 2 before breaking his maiden early in Gulfstream's winter meet.

Beethoven already has raced five times, with three victories and a defeat in a photo finish. He won Churchill's Grade II, 11/16-mile Kentucky Jockey Club in a three-horse photo in his last start on Nov. 29.

"If he runs the race I think he's going to run, then I don't have to wear the brake pads out," Ward said of the Holy Bull. "I don't have to burn him up for the Florida Derby, and the Florida Derby will set him up the way this horse likes to train. So what does that leave me? Hopefully, an animal that is healthy and not overtrained or overraced going into the Derby. …

"The difference between him and Monarchos is that he already knows how to execute. Monarchos was just learning."

For Ward and owner John Oxley, there would be a sense of justice should Beethoven continue on the Derby path. He is a son of Sky Mesa, who won the Hopeful at Saratoga and the Breeders' Futurity at Keeneland before his 2003 Derby aspirations were derailed by injury.

Ward and his wife, Donna, say Beethoven reminds them of Sky Mesa.

"The Sky Mesas have so much speed," Donna Ward said. "Sky Mesa himself had a lot of speed, but he liked to break, let the really top speed run by him and sit still and close. And this horse definitely wants to do that."

In the Kentucky Jockey Club, jockey Calvin Borel got Beethoven through on the rail to prevail by a neck over Giant Oak, with Iroquois winner Capt. Candyman Can another neck back.

"Very rarely at that time of year do you see three 2-year-olds look each other in the eye and come running down the stretch," Donna Ward said. "And they were driving down the stretch. It was the first time he'd had to be on that inside rail, because he's won his races on the outside.

"I saw places in the race where Beethoven was looking like, 'Are we going to move out?' And Calvin was saying, 'No, we're going to stay right here.' What I thought was neat was when Calvin finally threw his head at him, his ears went forward and he just pulled away. I think he has a lot to still learn -- that's what's so good. The worst thing you can do is be at this time of the year and think the best has been seen."

Also Saturday, Nicanor, a full brother to 2006 Derby winner Barbaro, will make his racing debut in Gulfstream's eighth race at a mile on dirt.

Capt. Candyman Can will run in tomorrow's Grade II, seven-furlong Hutcheson.
    edited January 2009
    Males rated 110 and above
    The Thoroughbred Times Thoroughbred Times TODAY January 30, 2009 1

Fillies

124—Stardom Bound

120—Dream Empress

117—Laragh, Sky Diva, Springside

116—Doremifasollatido, Mani Bhavan,
    Maram, Rachel Alexandra

115—Heart Shaped, Wynning Ride

114—Dave’s Revenge

113—C. S. Silk, Evita Argentina, Four
    Gifts, Jardin, Palacio de Amor, Persistently

112—Livin Lovin

111—Habaya, Sara Louise, Saucey
    Evening

110—Be Smart, Emmy Darling

Males

126—Midshipman

124—Vineyard Haven

123—Square Eddie

122—Street Hero

121—Old Fashioned

120—Donativum (GB), Pioneerof the
    Nile

119—Westphalia (Ire)

118—Coronet of a Baron, I Want Revenge,
    Terrain

117—Big Drama, Charitable man

116—Beethoven, Believe in Hope,
    Chocolate Candy, Del Conte, Run
    Away and Hide, Southern Exchange,
    West Side Bernie

115—Azul Leon, Giant Oak

114—Bittel Road, Capt. Candyman
    Can, City Style, Cribnote, Desert
    Party, Munnings

113—Flying Pegasus

112—Break Water Edison, Mr. Rod,
    Silent Valor

111—Jose Adan, Kelly Leak

110—Charlie’s Moment, Elusive Bluff,
    Gallant Son, Jack o’ Lantern, Stimulus Plan
    edited January 2009
    SILVER CITY (Unbridled's Song), winner of the 5 1/2-furlong Dixieland S. on Oaklawn Park's opening day, breezed four furlongs in a snappy :47 4/5 over the fast track at Fair Grounds on Thursday. The Bret Calhoun-trained colt is expected to stretch out to a mile for the Southwest S. at Oaklawn on February 16.
    edited January 2009
    JANUARY 30, 2009

by Dick Powell

In today's world, any time a horse jumps up with a huge performance generates questions about the trainer's integrity. "How could a horse that never ran better than X now run X plus 15 points?" is immediately asked, especially if it is the horse's first start off the claim for the trainer or the trainer just acquired the horse. If the trainer has multiple medication infractions, more red flags go up than a May Day parade in Moscow's Red Square.

So when THIS ONES FOR PHIL (Untuttable) romped in Saturday's Sunshine Millions Dash by 2 1/4 lengths in 1:09.10 on a track that had been playing slow in his first start for Rick Dutrow, Jr., the alarms were sounded. Gasoline was added to the blaze of suspicion when he earned gigantic Speed figures by all measurements -- a BRIS Speed rating of 111 compared to a previous career best of 92. Clearly, the rumored Dutrow magic had to be at work.

Formerly trained by Katie O'Connell, who raced him going two turns in his last four starts despite having a very speedy pedigree, This Ones for Phil was coming off a 77-day layoff and was now dropping back to six furlongs. In a race restricted for Florida- and California-breds, he was not impossible to have even if O'Connell were still training him.

Now with Dutrow, This Ones for Phil had eight workouts since changing hands and looked fit and ready. Regardless of how you feel about Dutrow, he wins an amazing 32 percent with horses making their first start for him while showing a healthy positive ROI of 0.40. For a handicapper, this is a potent stat. Unfortunately, not many players paid attention to it and This Ones for Phil was dismissed at odds of 11-1 even with Edgar Prado in the irons.

Prado stalked the early pace while clear on the outside and This Ones for Phil pulled him to the lead at the top of the stretch. From there, he was in cruise control to the wire, with 6-5 favorite You Luckie Mann (Exchange Rate) finishing a well-beaten second.

Dutrow had the horse for 77 days and sports an impressive 32 percent strike rate when horses make their first start for him. This Ones for Phil went off at a generous 11-1 odds. While he had not run this fast in his juvenile season, he still was an open company stakes winner. It's not like Dutrow claimed him the week before and he ran this kind of race after a few days in the barn. Where's the love?

I'll give you a similar example of a horse winning off a layoff and there is no reason to be suspicious. I am leaving out the details on who the horse is since I cannot get a hold of its owner to ask him if I can use his name. People tell me lots of things and it's not always for the record.

Anyway, this horse had been racing in New York with mixed results all year. My friend wanted the trainer to go into the stifles since she was not pushing off out of the gate and did not seem to be getting the necessary propulsion from behind. The trainer was reluctant to do so, and toward the end of last year she started showing signs of wear and tear and was sent to the farm.

After being given time to unwind, the vet came and found a lot of fluid in her stifles and withdrew it. She went back to the track as a new horse and promptly won her first start over the weekend at a nice price. To show you how my weekend went, I was tapped out way before This Ones for Phil raced on Saturday and didn't play at all on Sunday.

The fact is, there's a lot of vet work, perfectly legal, that takes place between races. And, even if you knew what was being done it wouldn't help you as a handicapper. I can't tell you how many times I have heard about a horse receiving a throat operation and the horse runs poorly even though it allegedly has had its breathing problems fixed. Sometimes, you are better off not knowing as there is an element of sausage-making to the training of horses and if you really knew how many ailments they have you would never play them.

But, in Dutrow's case, we know his record in that spot and could have acted accordingly.

I was around when Oscar Barrera was the scourge of New York racing and made a mockery of the claiming game with inexplicably quick turnarounds that won despite having to move up in class. Can someone e-mail any recent horses that have been claimed, run back in less than two weeks and won after being moved up in class? I hear about them all the time when players are lamenting what the game has become, but I really don't see them. I see a lot of trainers that claim, work on the horse for a long enough period of time that they can then drop the horse down in price and win. But I am not seeing the quick turnaround, move up in class and win move that others are referring to. If you see any that fit the bill please let me know.

Another horse that looked good off a long layoff was DESERT PARTY (Street Cry), who returned last Thursday with a sharp score at Nad al Sheba in an allowance event against some tough customers. An impressive winner first out for Darley last year at Arlington Park, Desert Party came back in the mud at Saratoga to win the historic Sanford S. (G2) in a game effort but his juvenile season ended with a poor effort in the Hopeful S. (G1).

Sent to Dubai and now part of Godolphin, Desert Party returned to the races in a seven-furlong allowance event that attracted a Group 1 winner from South Africa, a Group 2 winner from England, a Group 3 winner from Peru, a multiple Group 1-placed colt from Argentina, and his own stablemate, Regal Ransom (Distorted Humor), who was a monster debut winner last year at Saratoga going seven furlongs in fast time, earning a BRIS Speed rating of 99.

What made Desert Party's win so impressive was that he stalked the early pace in behind horses and then won the race in the stretch while racing down on the inside. On any other main track I would say he had a perfect trip. At Nad al Sheba, I would say that he was on the worst part of the track. A half length back in second was Regal Ransom, who had a perfect stalking trip on the outside.

Next start for the Godolphin pair should be the UAE Two Thousand Guineas (UAE-G3) going a mile on February 12. Desert Party has the pedigree and has already answered questions regarding his gameness. Can't wait to see how he'll stretch out.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited January 2009
    Check out Bobby Dibo, Leo & Sags - Cuba
    edited January 2009
    No one may catch Danger to Society
    By Mike Watchmaker

NEW YORK - The first Grade 1 races of 2009 will be run Saturday at precisely the venues you would think they would be run. The Grade 1, $500,000 Donn Handicap is the main event at Gulfstream Park on a card that also includes the Grade 3, $150,000 Holy Bull Stakes for 3-year-olds with some lofty aspirations. The Grade 1, $300,000 Santa Monica Handicap at Santa Anita attracted Ventura, winner of the Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Sprint. Last year's champion female sprinter Indian Blessing was also entered, but trainer Bob Baffert said he intends to scratch her.

Holy Bull Stakes

The two most accomplished horses in this race are Beethoven, who will be making his first start since his win in the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes in November and is just a head away from having won four straight, and West Side Bernie, the Kentucky Cup Juvenile winner who was a sharp second in the Delta Jackpot in his last appearance. Here's hoping their accomplishments lead to strong support at the windows, because neither has to win this 1 1/8-mile race.

It's no secret that with a short run to the first turn outside post positions in 1 1/8-mile races at Gulfstream - posts that Beethoven and West Side Bernie must deal with Saturday - are a distinct disadvantage. This point is underscored by the fact that Big Brown, who won last year's Florida Derby, remains the only horse to win from post 12 going nine furlongs since the main track at Gulfstream was reconfigured six years ago. Of course, other factors can come into play that help make outside posts going 1 1/8 miles such a disadvantage. For a recent example, the 12-hole alone certainly didn't beat Delightful Kiss in last Saturday's nine-furlong Sunshine Millions Classic, because that deep closer found the rail before the field even hit the first turn. He just didn't run well.

In the case of West Side Bernie and Beethoven, there are other factors that make their respective posts of 10 and 11 especially problematic. There isn't a lot of early speed in this race. If there were, one could expect the field to string out relatively quickly, affording closers like Beethoven and West Side Bernie the chance to drop back, drop in, and save some ground around the first turn. But there isn't much speed, so it's easy to envision the field still being fairly bunched up as they go around the first turn, which means West Side Bernie and Beethoven have an excellent chance at getting caught wide. And even if they are the most accomplished horses in this race going in, neither has such a large enough margin for error over some others in here that they could concede significant ground loss on the first turn and still win.

Danger to Society is the obvious alternative. He was much the best winning at the distance over the track early this month, and ran fast enough Beyer Figure-wise to be competitive in this spot. Most importantly, Danger to Society showed the kind of positional speed in that first stretch-out attempt to put him in perfect position from the outset here as the only others who might be capable of going for the lead - Bear's Racket and Idol Maker - might actually be more effective rating. On top of it all, Danger to Society has trainer Ken McPeek in his corner. Right now, McPeek is so hot that it's his world and we're just living in it.
    edited January 2009
    Jones reconsiders Southwest plan for Old Fashioned

Two of trainer Larry Jones' Triple Crown hopefuls -- Lecomte S. (G3) hero FRIESAN FIRE (A.P. Indy) and Triple Sec S. victor IT HAPPENED AGAIN (Proud Citizen) -- are on track for next Saturday's Risen Star S. (G3) at Fair Grounds, the highlight of Louisiana Derby Preview Day. However, plans for his undefeated Remsen S. (G2) winner OLD FASHIONED (Unbridled's Song) have suddenly become fluid.

Old Fashioned was scheduled to make his three-year-old bow in the February 16 Southwest S. (G3) at Oaklawn Park, but that has now become uncertain.

"As for Old Fashioned, we're up in the air on what's next for him unless we can resolve some things with Oaklawn," Jones said Friday morning. "As of the moment, neither Old Fashioned nor (Eclipse Award winner) Proud Spell (Proud Citizen) will be leaving for Oaklawn."

Old Fashioned hasn't raced since taking the November 29 Remsen by 7 1/4 lengths at Aqueduct.

"I'm not sure what we'll do, but we have to do something fast," Jones said. "I know that both Gulfstream and Tampa would love to have them. We'll see what happens."

Old Fashioned was originally slated to ship to Oaklawn this week. Unfortunately, recent weather conditions have put the Hot Springs, Arkansas, venue in a freeze. The frigid temperatures kept horses from training at Oaklawn on Tuesday and Thursday.

Jones also discussed his Risen Star candidates, Friesan Fire and It Happened Again.

"Friesan Fire and It Happened Again are both on schedule for the Risen Star," Jones noted. "Both are doing well and both should get their final works Monday morning, assuming the track conditions fit. Both horses have talent, but both are still learning the game. It's up to them which one wants to become a major player and step up to the plate. I'm looking for an improvement in their numbers in this race coming up.

"As for (Tiffany Lass S. heroine) JUST JENDA (Menifee), she's right on schedule for the Silverbulletday ([G3] also on Preview Day)," Jones added. "She's supposed to get her final breeze Monday as well. We've got a whole bunch going out that morning."

Trainer Bret Calhoun has a pair of Clarence Scharbauer Jr.-owned Triple Crown aspirants who are eyeing stakes at Fair Grounds and Oaklawn. INDYGO MOUNTAIN (A.P. Indy) is on course for the Risen Star while stablemate SILVER CITY (Unbridled's Song) is scheduled to run in the Southwest.

"Indygo Mountain worked great (Thursday)," Calhoun said of his Risen Star-bound colt who breezed five-eighths in 1:00. "We got just what we were looking for. We're going to throw that last race (sixth in the Lecomte) out. Nothing went right for us with this horse for about a month, but we're back on track with him now.

"As for Silver City," Calhoun added, "his work yesterday (four furlongs in :47 4/5) was awesome. What was impressive was the way he galloped out. He'll go back to Oaklawn for the Southwest."

AU MOON (Malibu Moon), who finished third in the Lecomte following a six-week layoff, will breeze Sunday or Monday in preparation for the Risen Star, according to trainer David Carroll.

"We'll see how this race sets up for him," Carroll said. "Hopefully, there will be a little pace in the race and we'll get him a little tighter. We're working on trying to get him to relax a little bit. Physically, he's fine, but mentally we're still trying to get him to grow up a little bit."
    edited January 2009
    Getting an early jump on Kentucky Derby contenders
    By Paul Daley, Sun Racing Writer
    Posted: 01/30/2009 06:41:54 AM EST

With Pool 1 of the Kentucky Derby Future Wager set to kick off from Feb. 12-15, it's high time we turn our attention to possible contenders for Derby 135, to be run on May 2.

As usual, Churchill Downs will give bettors the opportunity to wager into three separate pools, either through on-line betting accounts such as Twinspires.com, BRISnet, and Xpressbet, or through normal local outlets such as Rockingham Park, Suffolk Downs and Seabrook. Pool 2 will be March 12-15, while the last pool will run from April 2-5.

The minimum wager is $2, with win betting only and no refunds if a horse doesn't make the Derby. The format remains the same. There are 24 betting interests in each pool: 23 separate horses and the "all other three-year-olds" mutuel field, which usually is bet down to the 3-1 neighborhood in Pool 1.

There is one change this year, however. The sole Kentucky Oaks pool this year, for the fillies and run on Friday, May 1, will coincide with Pool 2, March 12-15. Also, in each of the pools, it is a good idea to wait as late as possible to bet before the 6 p.m. Sunday deadline, as late breaking stakes result may skew the betting.

To aid your handicapping, I've listed 12 horses to watch (alphabetically), followed by the trainer and capsule comments. Here goes.

DALEY'S DERBY DOZEN

1. Break Water Edison (John Kimmel) - The Lemon Drop Kid colt was a $525,000 yearling purchase and appears as if he will get better as the distances lengthen. His speed figure pattern from the Nashua Stakes' win in November is impressive. He's running in tomorrow's Hutcheson Stakes at Gulfstream Park.

2. Giant Oak (Chris Block) - Another colt, by Giant's Causeway, which should appreciate added distance. He really improved in his first start on dirt, at Churchill Downs, and is being pointed for the Risen Star at the Fair Grounds on Feb. 7.

3. Hello Broadway (Barclay Tagg) - He's working wonderfully well at Gulfstream Park for tomorrow's Hutcheson and is a half-brother to the accomplished Nobiz Like Shobiz. We all know what Tagg did with Funny Cide.

4. Imperial Council (Shug McGaughey) - It's a known fact that the Phipps family never pressures McGaughey to rush horses. However, this Empire Maker colt out of a Thunder Gulch mare is bred to run all day and is owned by Sequoia Racing, not the Phipps' clan. He's had five workouts at Payson Park since Dec. 29.

5. Moneagle (Neil Drysdale) - This beautifully-bred A.P. Indy colt cost $700,000 as a yearling. Though still a maiden, his seven Hollywood Park workouts have him on edge. Drysdale won the Derby with Fusaichi Pegasus.

6. Old Fashioned (Larry Jones) - Jones knows how to ready a horse for the Derby, though Eight Belles was ill-fated last year and Hard Spun ran into Street Sense and Curlin in 2007. Undefeated in three starts, this Unbridled's Song colt, an $800,000 purchase, is being pointed for the Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park.

7. Pioneer of The Nile (Bob Baffert) - The Empire Maker colt was transferred from the barn of Hall of Famer Bill Mott ostensibly to stay on synthetic surfaces for the time being. He promptly won the Cash Call Stakes at Hollywood Park on Dec. 20th and is working unbelievably well at Santa Anita. Could the Kentucky Derby represent his first dirt start?

8. Poltergeist (Donnie Von Hemel) - He's so well-bred, a full sibling to Relaunch and Moon Glitter, from the In Reality line of horses. He won an allowance race at Oaklawn Park by six lengths and is now being pointed for the Southwest Stakes. That should be one great race.

9. Quality Road (James Jerkens) - You have to love the breeding, his tactical speed, and his stellar Florida works. He reminds this observer a lot of War Emblem at the same stage of development.

10. Square Eddie (Doug O'Neill) - One of the most seasoned horses of his class, with six in-the-money finishes in seven starts. Additionally, his sire, Smart Strike just keeps on getting class horses such as Fabulous Strike, Curlin, and English Channel. Like Old Fashioned, he's being pointed to the Southwest Stakes.

11. Vineyard Haven (Saeed bin Suroor) - Trainer Bobby Frankel saw early promise in the colt's maiden win at Calder last June and bought him our of the barn of Lynne Scace, a former Suffolk Downs' trainer who also bred the horse. A facile winner of the Champagne Stakes last fall, he's been sold to the Godolphin Stable and is being pointed to the UAE 2,000 Guineas at Nad al Sheba Racecourse in Dubai.

12. Well Positioned (Patrick Reynolds) - Paul Pompa, the owner, sold Big Brown to IEAH Stable last year and we know how that turned out. The guess here is that he and trainer Reynolds will keep this colt. He broke his maiden by 14 lengths at Aqueduct in late November, has been working bullets in Florida, and is being pointed for an allowance race at Gulfstream. A very interesting horse indeed.
    edited February 2009
    Southwest field gets lot tougher

HOT SPRINGS - The early favorite for the Kentucky Derby is on his way.

Trainer Larry Jones said unbeaten Old Fashioned will ship to Oaklawn Park on Monday to prepare for his highly anticipated 3-year-old debut in the $250,000 Grade III Southwest Stakes on Feb. 16.

Old Fashioned's appearance in the Southwest became clouded when Ms Good Cat, also trained by Jones, was scratched from Thursday's ninth race after a backstretch monitor observed the 4-year-old filly receiving chiropractic treatment, illegal on race day in Arkansas.

Upset by the late scratch, Jones said Friday that he wasn't sure if he would send Old Fashioned for the Southwest.

But Jones gave the Southwest the green light following what he termed productive talks involving Oaklawn management, stewards and the Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association.

Jones uses chiropractic treatment on his horses and said he wasn't aware the practice was illegal on race day in Arkansas.

"I think everybody is on the same page now," Jones said.

The scratch of Ms Good Cat was discussed during the Arkansas State Racing Commission's regularly scheduled meeting Saturday morning.

The commission plans to adopt rules that clarify language involving chiropractic, acupuncture, message therapy and other such treatments.

"I think everybody feels better about things now," Jones said.

Jones said he will personally bring Old Fashioned to Hot Springs from Fair Grounds in New Orleans, where he has been based this winter.

Old Fashioned, who is owned by Rick Porter's Fox Hill Farm, is unbeaten in three career starts, including the Grade II Remsen Stakes at Aqueduct in New York.

Jones said Dr Large, a front-3 running 5 /4-length entry-level allowance winner Saturday at Oaklawn, is not a candidate for the Southwest.

Dr Large, an A.P. Indy colt also owned by Porter,

1 was coming off a 22/2-length drubbing Jan. 17 at Oaklawn.

He was previously a frontrunning maiden winner Dec. 7 at Fair Grounds.

"Maybe it was the ship up," Jones said. "He showed us today that he was the horse that we thought he was. We'll find another spot for him. Old Fashioned is our horse for the Southwest."

Also expected for the 1-mile Southwest are Square Eddie, Silver City, Flat Out and Loch Dubh.

Southwest candidate Poltergeist, a 6-length winner of the Jan. 17 entry-level allowance that featured Dr Large, breezed five-eighths of a mile Saturday morning in 1:00.40, fastest of the 64 works at the distance.
    edited February 2009
    The Sinner and the Holy Bull shake things up
    Well, that was underwhelming.

Highly regarded Danger To Society retreated, West Side Bernie raced wide, Beethoven struck a sour note, and Saratoga Sinner pulled off the upset over what seemed to be a promising group of 3-year-olds in today’s Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream Park.

His winning time – 1:51.45 for the 1 1/8 miles – was solid but unspectacular. The Gulfstream surface has been rather dull. (Albertus Maximus won the Donn in 1:50.96.) And horses racing inside, such as Bear’s Rocket in the Holy Bull, seemed to do especially well. But Saratgoa Sinner was determined, and he has some pedigree – he’s by Harlan’s Holiday. I suspect he doesn’t possess sufficient talent to become a major Triple Crown contender, but he’s one to watch, as is Warrior’s Reward, who won his debut impressively in the very next race.

On the road to the Triple Crown, as January concludes the tone soon will get turned up to a new level of seriousness. And so here’s an updated top 20.

1. Old Fashioned – He had a brilliant workout this week and remains aimed at the Southwest Stakes, despite an Oaklawn Park contretemps.

2. Giant Oak -- He’s literally the big horse, and he’ll have a chance to show his stuff next Saturday in the Risen Star.

3. Hello Broadway – He should move forward after his runner-up effort in the Hutcheson Stakes.

4. Capt. Candyman Can – The Hutcheson may have been what he needed to get him going in the right direction.

5. Imperial Council – Still training steadily in Florida, he should be ready to return soon.

6. Vineyard Haven – And then there was the time, after covering the Florida Derby, that I flew from Fort Lauderdale to New Orleans for the Louisiana Derby but had to change planes, strangely enough, in Dallas.

7. Pioneerof The Nile – He’s still the best in the West, but how is he on real dirt?

8. Friesan Fire – The handsome colt won the Lecompte Stakes and could be good enough to score again in the Risen Star.

9. It Happened Again – Overshadowed by his celebrated stablemates, Old Fashioned and Friesan Fire, he may have sufficient talent to be a player.

10. Patena – Having joined the Richard Dutrow stable, he’ll scare some folks in Florida.

11. Break Water Edison – His inconsistency is alarming; he’s obviously better than that Hutcheson effort.

12. Quality Road – Still think he might be one of the most talented members of this class.

13. Midshipman – My plane was late and so I missed the flight to New Orleans and had to catch a later one and. . . well, the roundabout path is rarely the best one.

14. Indygo Mountain – He ran the last three-eighths in 35 when he worked five-eighths in a minute this week; he’ll rebound with a good effort in the Risen Star.

15. Silver City – He could upset Old Fashioned in the Southwest.

16. Poltergeist – If he wins the Kentucky Derby, what will they call the movie?

17. Notonthesamepage – How fast is he, you’re wondering? Well, he could answer the question in the Fountain of Youth.

18. Haynesfield – The New Yorker doesn’t get much respect, but he’s a runner.

19. West Side Bernie – He gave a good effort despite racing wide in the Holy Bull.

20. Beethoven – He was also a little wide in the Holy Bull.
    edited February 2009
    CashCall Futurity (G1) hero PIONEEROF THE NILE (Empire Maker) worked five furlongs Sunday over Santa Anita's Pro-Ride in :59 2/5 under Garrett Gomez, gearing up for Saturday's $200,000 Robert B. Lewis S. (G2).

After the move, trainer Bob Baffert stated, "He's ready."

Pioneerof the Nile has shown more speed in recent works, but Baffert attributes that to the colt's misleading stride.

"He was working well before," Baffert said. "Some were faster than I wanted, but he's very deceiving to the riders because he's got a very long stride and he covers a lot of ground. He does it effortlessly. They weren't supposed to go that fast, but he just fools you."

Baffert commented on Pioneerof the Nile's road to the Kentucky Derby (G1), which begins in the 1 1/16-mile Lewis.

"We're still pretty far out, so right now, we just want to maintain a level of fitness and conditioning," the trainer said. "He's already punched his ticket to the Derby. He's made enough (graded) money ($503,250), so I don't have to worry about that. There's no urgency, so it's good that I can run him when he's ready. He looks great right now.

"A mile and a sixteenth is not his best distance. Once he goes further, a mile and an eighth, he's going to be a better horse. He's growing up, he looks good, and I think he's relaxing more. With age, in the next couple months, he'll change a lot between now and May."

Asked if the dark bay colt, who is a half-brother to 2007 Jerome H. (G2) and Swale S. (G2) runner-up Forefathers (Gone West), had mental or physical traits similar to Baffert's past Derby winners -- Silver Charm (1997), Real Quiet (1998) and War Emblem (2002) -- the trainer said, "Physically, he's still a little immature. He's a late foal, but I can see a difference in him now. He's really maturing in his mind. You can't worry about how far he'll run based on his breeding.

"The important thing is, he handles everything well. He's got a pretty good foundation, and that's what you want: a foundation."

Grade 3 victor BITTEL ROAD (Stormy Atlantic), a closing fourth to Pioneerof the Nile in the CashCall Futurity, will get a rematch in the Lewis. The Todd Pletcher-trained sophomore worked five furlongs in 1:01 1/5 to prepare for Saturday's race.

Also working for the Lewis, talented sophomore SHAFTED (Mineshaft) stopped the timer in :47 1/5 for a half-mile.

OIL MAN (Ire) (Pyrus), fourth while making his U.S. debut in the Eddie Logan S., geared up for the Lewis by posting seven furlongs on Santa Anita's firm turf in 1:28 2/5.
    edited February 2009
    Trainer John Ward was satisfied with BEETHOVEN's (Sky Mesa) fourth-place effort in Saturday's $150,000 Holy Bull S. (G3) at Gulfstream Park, and reported that the three-year-old colt he conditions for John Oxley was doing well Sunday morning.

"He's bright and happy this morning," Ward said. "He lost by exactly the amount of lengths (4 1/4 lengths) you would expect when you start in the outside post while giving up weight to the winner (eight pounds). It was a learning experience. Considering that, I'd have to say I'm satisfied with his performance."

Beethoven was making his 2009 bow in the 1 1/8-mile Holy Bull, having captured his juvenile finale in the November 29 Kentucky Jockey Club (G2). As a graded stakes winner, he carried 122 pounds from post 10 at a distance with a relatively short run into the first turn.

Ward is looking forward to Beethoven's next race and is convinced that, at level weights in a race with a hypothetically staggered start, his horse would have contested Holy Bull winner SARATOGA SINNER (Harlan's Holiday) for the victory. He's looking forward to a rematch, but just where that rematch might take place is still in question. The $250,000 Fountain of Youth (G2) on February 28 going one mile is a possibility, and Ward would not have a problem cutting back to a one-turn race. He will be looking for specific things before deciding to make that race, though.

"I have no desire to take him out of town," Ward explained. "The main thing I want to see will be my horse's muscle development. I've built up his stamina. Now, I need to put more muscle on him and I need to see if I can do that through training, or if I have to go in another race before the (March 28) Florida Derby (G1)."
    edited February 2009
    GIANT OAK (Giant's Causeway), one of the leading candidates for Saturday's Risen Star S. (G3) at Fair Grounds, breezed a bullet five furlongs in 1:00 2/5 over the fast main track at Fair Grounds on Sunday morning.

Trained by Chris Block, Giant Oak was second by a neck in the Kentucky Jockey Club S. (G2) at Churchill Downs in his last start on November 29. Jockey James Graham was aboard for Sunday's move, but Edgar Prado is slated to travel to Fair Grounds to ride Giant Oak in the Risen Star.

"The work went well," said Block shortly after the move, which was the fastest of 39 at the distance. "It was really what I was kind of hoping for -- a nice easy five-eighths. He bumped it up a little during the last part of it and he finished up good. It was probably the best work he's ever given me when he was by himself.

"Even though Edgar's coming in to ride him Saturday, James has just been a jewel every time he's worked Giant Oak,” Block added. "(Graham) has communicated with us very well after each work, and I'm very happy he's helping us out with this horse. We're happy to have Edgar lined up Saturday, but if anything happens to that, James would be our go-to guy."

The form of the Kentucky Jockey Club was flattered when third-place finisher Capt. Candyman Can (Candy Ride) won Friday's Hutcheson S. (G2) at Gulfstream Park in his seasonal debut, but Kentucky Jockey Club winner Beethoven (Sky Mesa) was beaten more than four lengths when fourth in Saturday's Holy Bull S. (G3) at Gulfstream.

Also prepping Sunday for the Risen Star was AU MOON (Malibu Moon), who breezed five furlongs in 1:03 2/5. Conditioned by David Carroll, Au Moon was third, beaten four lengths, in the January 10 Lecomte S. (G3) in his most recent trip to the post.

"We let him relax behind a couple of other horses and then we let him pick it up the last eighth," Carroll explained. "I was very pleased with his move, and after the work he cooled out great. We'd like to see him forwardly placed in the race Saturday, but we don't want him wasting his energy on the front end. The whole idea is to teach him to relax."

A likely field of a dozen, with a baker's dozen still a possibility, was the latest update as of Sunday afternoon for the Risen Star. Expected to vie for favoritism in this weekend's final major prep for the March 14 Louisiana Derby (G2) are Lecomte winner FRIESAN FIRE (A.P. Indy) as well as UNO MAS (Macho Uno) and INDYGO MOUNTAIN (A.P. Indy), fourth and sixth, respectively, in that same test.

IT HAPPENED AGAIN (Proud Citizen), a two-length winner of the January 16 Triple Sec S. at Delta Downs, is slated to join Friesan Fire as a Larry Jones-trained starter in the Risen Star, while CODE OF HONOUR (Omega Code), third in the Triple Sec, is also on tap. SUMMER'S EMPIRE (Empire Maker), who captured Hawthorne's Jim Edgar Futurity for Illinois-breds on December 13, remains probable for the Risen Star after breezing five furlongs in 1:01 3/5 at Fair Grounds last Wednesday. SOUL WARRIOR (Lion Heart), who broke his maiden by 3 3/4 lengths at Fair Grounds on December 29 and breezed a bullet three-quarters in 1:14 2/5 at Fair Grounds last Tuesday, remains slated to join Uno Mas as a Steve Asmussen trainee in the Risen Star.

At least three candidates were added to the mix for the Risen Star on Sunday morning: FLYING PEGASUS (Fusaichi Pegasus), who finished 2 3/4 lengths in front of Friesan Fire when second in the Futurity S. (G2) last September in his most recent start; NOWHERE TO HIDE (Vindication), a maiden winner in his last start who is conditioned by Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito; and DUMAR (Maria's Mon), a first-level allowance winner at Fair Grounds last month who also hails from the Asmussen barn.

Brother Keith (Johar), conditioned by Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel, was being considered briefly as a late addition to the Risen Star before the field expanded, but is now considered unlikely.
    edited February 2009
    At Hollywood Park on Monday, Breeders' Futurity (G1) romper SQUARE EDDIE (Smart Strike) sizzled five furlongs in a bullet :58 4/5, best of 39 works at the distance on the Cushion Track. The Doug O'Neill trainee, who was upset in the San Rafael S. (G3) last time out, is expected to ship to Oaklawn for the February 16 Southwest S. (G3).
    edited February 2009
    I WANT REVENGE (Stephen Got Even), a near-miss runner-up to Pioneerof the Nile (Empire Maker) in the CashCall Futurity (G1), zipped in :59 2/5. The Jeff Mullins pupil will try to live up to his name when meeting Pioneerof the Nile in Saturday's Robert B. Lewis S. (G2).
    edited February 2009
    Well-regarded three-year-old BROTHER KEITH (Johar), fourth after blowing the first turn in the San Rafael, smoked in :59 2/5 for Frankel.
    edited February 2009
    Lecomte S. (G3) hero FRIESAN FIRE (A.P. Indy), a leading contender in Saturday's Risen Star S. (G3), breezed five furlongs in 1:04 2/5 on the fast track.

Fellow Risen Star entrant IT HAPPENED AGAIN (Proud Citizen), coming off a score in the Triple Sec S., clocked 1:02 2/5.
    edited February 2009
    Lecomte fourth UNO MAS (Macho Uno) negotiated a half-mile in :49 4/5 in preparation for the Risen Star.

Recent allowance/optional claiming winner DUMAR (Maria's Mon), who will make his stakes debut in the Risen Star, finished up in :51 1/5.
    edited February 2009
    Also-rans ponder their options
    By Mike Welsch
    HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. - While the winners of last weekend's important 3-year-old preps here, Capt. Candyman Can and Saratoga Sinner, continue to celebrate, their victims retreated to assess the losses and plot future strategies along the Kentucky Derby trail.

Last Friday, Capt. Candyman Can outfinished a game Hello Broadway to win the seven-furlong Grade 2 Hutcheson, earning a 100 Beyer Speed Figure. Saratoga Sinner ran down fellow longshot Bear's Rocket to capture the 1 1/8-mile Grade 3 Holy Bull on Saturday, with the more highly regarded trio of West Side Bernie, Beethoven, and Danger to Society finishing third, fourth, and seventh.

Saratoga Sinner received a 96 Beyer for upsetting the Holy Bull, 23 points higher than his number for winning his maiden here just three weeks earlier.

Trainer Barclay Tagg was disappointed he did not win the Hutcheson but pleased with Hello Broadway's performance, especially since the race did not unfold as he had hoped.

"I was happy with his effort but I really wanted him to come from where the winner did, off the pace," Tagg said. "But he broke too sharp and wound up on the lead. What I'm trying to do right now is find out if he's a good horse or not. I thought seven-eighths was a good place to start, but I was hoping to find out if he'd take back and finish. He just broke so good he couldn't do it."

Tagg said Hello Broadway would probably come back in the one-mile Fountain of Youth on Feb. 28. Capt. Candyman Can is expected for the race, too.

"We'll know better where we stand with him after he goes a mile rather than seven-eighths," said Tagg. "Actually, I'd like to put him somewhere he can win, but if a suitable allowance race doesn't come up we'll try the Fountain of Youth."

Break Water Edison was the biggest disappointment in the Hutcheson. An impressive winner of the Nashua in his 2-year-old finale, Break Water Edison finished sixth and last in his 3-year-old debut after breaking from the rail, always a disadvantage out of the seven-furlong chute.

Kelly Breen, the trainer of West Side Bernie, and John Ward, who trains Beethoven, were both satisfied with the performance of their horse in the Holy Bull considering the circumstances. The two graded stakes winners had to carry 122 pounds and concede weight to the rest of the field while breaking from posts 9 and 10 at a distance that has a very short run to the clubhouse turn.

"I thought it was a decent effort," said Breen. "I think the racetrack had something to do with the outcome since it seemed to carry speed on Saturday. We didn't break as sharp as we'd have liked and Elvis [Trujillo] did all he could to save some ground. He made a nice move on the turn but just couldn't make up any ground through the stretch over that track."

Breen pretty much ruled out the Fountain of Youth as the next option for West Side Bernie and said he will now sit and wait until his other Derby prospect, Atomic Rain, runs a week from Saturday in the Sam Davis at Tampa Bay Downs before plotting a course for either 3-year-old. Both horses are owned by George and Lori Hall.

Breen said he would ship Atomic Rain to Tampa on Tuesday or Wednesday and give him a work over the track next weekend in preparation for the Sam Davis.

John Velazquez will have the mount.

Ward echoed Breen's sentiments.

"The weight and the post positions were significant and so too was the fact the rail was very good on Saturday," said Ward. "Except for not getting the graded money we were looking for I was very pleased. And the next time the winner comes back he'll have to carry the 122 pounds instead of us."

Ward had originally planned on using the Holy Bull as his lone prep for the Grade 1 Florida Derby on March 28, but says those plans are now subject to change.

"I'm going to look at the Fountain of Youth as an option," said Ward. "I haven't totally ruled it out because of the money and because it's probably best I get another race under his belt before the Florida Derby. I'll be looking at the allowance conditions of that race and the weights everyone will carry very closely."

Another 3-year-old who put himself into the Derby picture here Saturday was Take the Points, a cleverly named son of Even the Score who won a first-level allowance at a mile by two lengths over Masala.

Both Take the Points, who received a career-best 93 Beyer for his second victory, and Masala are trained by Todd Pletcher.

"We gave him a little break after his maiden win, freshened him up, and the time off did him well," said Pletcher of Take the Points. "He'll definitely come back in a stakes sometime around the first week of March, so that gives us a lot of options. I'd really like to try him around two turns next, but I'm not completely ruling out the Fountain of Youth either."