135th Kentucky Derby Trail Tid Bits

1235»

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Big Beyers continue to impress on Derby trail
    By Dick Jerardi

PHILADELPHIA - This is getting serious quickly. I don't remember so many big Beyer Speed Figures by 3-year-olds by the end of the February.

Consider that last year Big Brown became a sensation when he got a 106 Beyer in an allowance race, followed by another 106 in the Florida Derby. If last year were this year, Big Brown would be just another horse.

This year we already had Notonthesamepage and the 114, followed by This Ones for Phil and the 116. The figures were live, but looked somewhat outrageous in relation to their overall form.

Well, the 113 Quality Road got when winning the Fountain of Youth does not look at all like that. Nor does the 103 that The Pamplemousse got when winning the Sham Stakes. (By the way, does that sound like the name of a Kentucky Derby winner? "Derby winners include Secretariat, Affirmed, and The Pamplemousse." What has happened to this sport?)

Quality Road gave a strong hint when he won his maiden with a 101 Beyer last fall. The colt was not included on my recent list of Triple Crown nominees with triple-digit Beyers for a very basic reason: Quality Road was not nominated. He will be nominated. And should be.

The Fountain of Youth win was no fluke. I like Old Fashioned so much because he has the Smarty Jones/Barbaro stalk-and-go running style. So does Quality Road, who, like Smarty Jones, is a son of Elusive Quality.

I don't remember a prep race before a final prep with a stronger field than the Fountain of Youth. Admittedly, the race was not run at all like most expected it to be. Still, Quality Road did not just win. The colt crushed the field.

I think the second and third horses - Theregoesjojo and Beethoven - are live Derby horses. If I think that, I have to be very impressed with the horse that beat them so easily. The 113 was slightly better than the pre-Derby numbers of Smarty Jones - 112 in the Rebel and 109 in the Arkansas Derby - and far better than the 103 Barbaro got in the Florida Derby.

Now, Quality Road has to do it again. Barbaro was trained to peak in the Derby and he did exactly that. Smarty Jones fired off one big Beyer after another.

So, let's wait and see on Quality Road. Whatever the colt does next, the Beyer gauntlet has been thrown down for Old Fashioned's next race in the Rebel.

As for the horse with that strange name, the colt looks as serious as the number. It is the rare horse who gets a Beyer jump in five consecutive races. But The Pamplemousse has done it with an 82 in his debut, followed by an 83, 89, 93, and 103.

It is probably no coincidence that the Beyer jump took place when The Pamplemousse started running around two turns. We need this horse in Kentucky, if for no other reason than Julio Canani will give the Derby Week backstretch some serious entertainment value.

If the colt wins the Santa Anita Derby, we will hear much talk about synthetic-track form in the run-up to the Derby. And I will have little, if any, clue how to assess what it means.

Isn't this complicated enough without all that?

I don't have any Dubai figures. Apparently, they will not be necessary with the two big names as Midshipman is gone and Vineyard Haven is in the witness protection program.

I do believe in the figures as they relate to the Derby. In this decade, they have been deadly on the first Saturday in May - if you get beyond the pace meltdowns in 2001 and 2005 that gave us one-hit wonders Monarchos and Giacomo.

It is why the Derby superfecta has become my favorite bet of the year, a chance to make a giant score even with a semi-obvious winner. I have made it into a trifecta in recent years, putting such stars as Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, Barbaro, Street Sense, and Big Brown on top of my tickets with very few, if any, backups.

It is still too soon to say whether a single will be as obvious on May 2. I came into the year thinking Old Fashioned was going to be my horse. The numbers can change my mind. I am thinking Old Fashioned is going to get into the Beyer game in his next start. But, if he doesn't, I may re-think my position.

Whatever goes down over the next two months, this has become quite fascinating with so many strong performances so soon.

Is this going to be the norm? Can these horses run even faster? And what might happen when they all show up at the same place at the same time to see just how fast they can really run?
    edited March 2009
    Papa Clem Rebooting in Hot Springs. Papa Clem (Worth Watching) arrived in Hot Springs Thursday to start work for the Grade II Arkansas Derby on April 11. He'll enter the Arkansas Derby after running second, beaten 7 1/4 lengths by Friesan Fire in the Grade II Louisiana Derby last weekend following not the easiest of ships by air. Papa Clem reportedly didn't take to flying very well.

The Smart Strike colt is well-traveled, having been in California before the Louisiana Derby. He's shown promise since breaking his maiden in December at Santa Anita. The colt came back in February and ran second to Pioneerof the Nile in the Robert Lewis Stakes.

“I thought he had some ability, but just how much I wasn’t aware of until he ran second in the Grade II at Santa Anita," trainer Gary Stute said. "You always hope for a Derby horse, but I didn’t think I was going to get one. He is by far the best horse I have trained. One of his biggest attributions is that he tries in every race. In that last race, he wouldn’t let that horse (Terrain, a close third) by him. He is all heart and shows how game he is in every race.”

Rafael Bejarano will retain the mount on Papa Clem, his fourth time to ride the bay colt. “Rafael has complete confidence in this horse. When you have the leading jockey in Southern California wanting to ride your horse, you get pretty excited,” said Stute. “He likes this horse, and that makes us feel good about him.”

“He doesn’t have to have the lead in his races. In the Louisiana Derby, our plans weren’t to go to the lead. Like I said earlier, he is all heart when he runs,” said Stute. “It is exciting to have your first Derby prospect. I didn’t realize he would be as good as he is. When he worked in the morning, he would outwork some of my older horses. One of the reasons we decided to come to Oaklawn is I love Hot Springs. I’m excited to get there.”
    edited March 2009
    Rosario Named on Chocolate Candy. Joel Rosario, Santa Anita’s third-leading rider with 59 victories through Wednesday, will ride Grade III El Camino Real Derby winner Chocolate Candy (Looking Good) in the Grade I Santa Anita Derby on April 4, trainer Jerry Hollendorfer said Thursday. Rosario rode Chocolate Candy to his maiden victory at Santa Anita last Oct. 4, but perennial Bay Area champ Russell Baze had ridden the son of Candy Ride in his last two starts, victories in the California Derby and the El Camino Real.

“My connections prefer to use riders who are familiar with the course,” Hollendorfer said. “That’s why we use Russell up here, and will use Rosario in the Santa Anita Derby.”

Chocolate Candy worked a mile on Golden Gate’s Tapeta surface Thursday in 1:41.20. “The work was very nice, although the track was kind of dead up here this morning,” Hollendorfer said. “He was very steady all the way around.”
    edited March 2009
    Change of Plans for Take the Points? Mike McCarthy, assistant to Todd Pletcher, said Take the Points (Worth Watching), thought to be pointed to the Santa Anita Derby, may run in the Grade I Toyota Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland on April 11 instead.
    edited March 2009
    The 'Captain' Set to Return. Capt. Candyman Can (Worth Watching) is set to run in the seven-furlong, Grade III Bay Shore Stakes at Aqueduct on April 4. Javier Castellano has accepted the mount and will remain in New York through the rest of the Spring meeting
    edited March 2009
    Friesan Fire Plans. “He’s definitely going to Keeneland. He’s headed there next week. We’ll analyze his numbers to think if he can run a Derby winning number off this race, or if we need to get another race into him," said trainer Larry Jones. "He probably has more races under his belt than anyone who’s in contention for the Derby. He already has seven races.”

Friesan Fire's (Looking Good) winning margin of 7 1/4-lengths was the largest in the Louisiana Derby since 1963. "Friesan Fire just loved (the sloppy going).... Now we don't have to worry about what the weather is like on Derby Day," Cindy Jones said yesterday.

Meanwhile, on Sunday at Oaklawn Park, Larry Jones suggested that some mild sickness has been going through his barn there and could account for some of his horses performing at less than their best. Old Fashioned (Looking Good) finished second to 56-1 Win Willy (Looking Good) as the favorite in Saturday's Grade II Rebel Stakes.
    edited March 2009
    General Quarters Arrives at Churchill. General Quarters (Looking Good) became the first Kentucky Derby hopeful to arrive at Churchill Downs when a van carrying the colt drove onto the grounds early yesterday.

Trainer-owner Tom McCarthy walked the winner of the Grade III Sam F. Davis into Churchill Downs’ Barn 37 and plans a light gallop for the colt on Friday. It will be the first trip to the track for General Quarters since his troubled fifth-place finish behind Musket Man in last Saturday’s Grade III Tampa Bay Derby.

The 75-year-old McCarthy, a retired school principal who served at three Louisville area high schools, said General Quarters remains firmly on the Kentucky Derby trail despite that effort. He said the colt never got a chance to run and came out of the race with cuts.

“It was terrible,” McCarthy said. “Sunday and Monday I just walked him, and I’ve been icing him every day since then. He’s doing good, and he’s perked up--he hasn’t missed an oat.”

McCarthy, who claimed General Quarters last year at Churchill Downs for $20,000, said his colt would be pointed toward the Grade I Toyota Blue Grass at Keeneland on April 11. A good effort there would earn General Quarters a start in the Kentucky Derby, the first for the veteran McCarthy. General Quarters is his only horse in training. McCarthy does everything for the horse, including groom duty.
    edited April 2009
    Baffert Delays Ship for Pioneerof the Nile, Discusses Gomez. In a change in his Derby contender's schedule, Bob Baffert said Pioneerof the Nile would work at Santa Anita Wednesday and ship Thursday to Churchill Downs, where two more workouts are scheduled before the Derby. Initially, Baffert was reported to plan to work the Santa Anita Derby winner today for a departure tomorrow.

Baffert still had no commitment from Garrett Gomez or his agent Ron Anderson on Pioneerof the Nile for the Derby as of Sunday. Gomez also is the rider of Florida Derby runner-up Dunkirk for Todd Pletcher, and Dunkirk looks more likely to make the Kentucky Derby following last weekend's prep races.

“Anderson is supposed to let me know after this weekend,” Baffert said yesterday. “I haven’t even thought about a backup.”

Anderson was spotted at Keeneland on Saturday while Gomez was riding there.

On the spate of California-based horses that have been winning or running well in major prep races: “It means nothing now,” Baffert said. “What will be meaningful is how they’re doing the week of the Derby. We know we have good horses here. We knew that going in. I bet on Papa Clem yesterday.”
    edited April 2009
    General Quarters, who upset favorite Hold Me Back to win Saturday’s Blue Grass Stakes, was tugging hard as owner-trainer Tom McCarthy walked him around today at Churchill Downs.

McCarthy said he still doesn't know if jockey Eibar Coa will commit to General Quarters or Musket Man, on whom the jockey won the Illinois Derby.

"When he came over to the director's room (for the post-race celebration), I told him, 'You're going to have to make up your mind,'" McCarthy said of Coa. "He laughed and said, 'Just call my agent.' So I don't know what that meant. He rode him so well, did just exactly what I asked him to: 'don't get him stopped.'"

Should Coa opt for Musket Man, McCarthy figures to have plenty of big-name options for a jockey. Among those calling him even before Saturday's post-race press conference concluded was Steve Bass, agent for Julien Leparoux.

Bass not only used to ride for McCarthy, but he had McCarthy as a teacher while in high school
    edited April 2009
    HOT SPRINGS, Ark. — Larry Jones has known plenty of heartbreak at the Kentucky Derby. Now his hopes for a winner before he retires rests with Friesan Fire.
    The trainer’s other contender, Old Fashioned, is off the Derby trail after a knee injury was discovered following the colt’s second-place finish in the Arkansas Derby on Saturday. Jones said the injury — a slab fracture — was not life-threatening but could end the horse’s career.
    Papa Clem took the Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park by a half-length over Old Fashioned. In Saturday’s other big Kentucky Derby prep, General Quarters won the Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland.
    Jones trained Eight Belles, the filly euthanized last year just beyond the finish of the Kentucky Derby. That was the second straight year he was second at the Kentucky Derby — Hard Spun the other runner-up.
    Now this is Jones’ last shot. He’s retiring this year.
    The 52-year-old trainer was poised to send two contenders to the Run for the Roses on May 2 — Old Fashioned and Louisiana Derby winner Friesan Fire.
    Friesan Fire beat Papa Clem by 7¼ lengths last month in the Louisiana Derby, so there was actually a silver lining for Jones when Papa Clem edged Old Fashioned.
    “That makes us feel that much better about Friesan Fire,” Jones said.
    Friesan Fire is unbeaten this year and is a major Derby contender with Wood Memorial winner I Want Revenge, Santa Anita Derby winner Pioneerof the Nile and Florida Derby winner Quality Road.
    It’s unclear where Saturday’s winners fit in. Papa Clem won for the first time since December but hasn’t finished worse than second this year. General Quarters — purchased for a meager $20,000 last year — bounced back after a fifth-place finish in the Tampa Bay Derby last month.
    General Quarters made a big move at the top of the stretch Saturday, moving past Join in the Dance before holding off Hold Me Back.
    “Once he gets moving, he’s like a big train — hard to stop,” owner-trainer Tom McCarthy said.
    Hold Me Back, winner of the Lane’s End and second to General Quarters on Saturday, looked fine following his second race in three weeks and should be ready to go for the Derby.
    English star Mafaaz may be held out of the Derby after finishing eighth in the Blue Grass. Trainer John Gosden hinted the colt could skip the Derby if he didn’t think the horse could contend. Assistant trainer Les Reynolds said he anticipated a decision soon.
    Old Fashioned went off as the even-money favorite Saturday, his longest odds since early November. He was the 2-5 favorite in the Rebel last month but was upset by Win Willy for his first career loss.
    In what might have been his final race, Old Fashioned fought gamely along the rail but came up short.
    Old Fashioned led for much of the race, setting the early pace and finishing the first quarter-mile in a brisk 22.65 seconds. At that point, Papa Clem was fifth, 4½ lengths behind the leader.
    “We had a little trouble on the first turn when my horse got out, so I lost position and was wide,” said Rafael Bejarano, Papa Clem’s jockey.
    Papa Clem was able to make up that lost ground and overtake Old Fashioned. The early pace seemed to benefit Summer Bird, who rallied for third in the Arkansas Derby and could be a Belmont Stakes entry.
    “This is a big, good-looking colt who will run all day,” said Chris Rosier, Summer Bird’s jockey. “He dug in that last quarter.”
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009
    the oil men know how to stay under the radar ...nobody say-in much ...another that try to buy the game up..midship..vineyard , desert ,ransom .......................heads will roll if they don't have a good showing this year.
  • edited April 2009
    CANT you get these pics up close they will think your talking on the phone lol...