Free selection from Discreet Picks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Santa Anita - Race 9

#5 Gio Ponti (7/2 ml)

Very highly-regarded sort for Chris Clemente made his main-track debut in an off-the-turf stakes last month, and really seemed to relish the Pro-Ride as he came charging through the stretch full of run and actually had to change course in order to get some running room, splitting horses in mid-stretch and drawing quickly clear for a powerful win. Incidentally, that made him 4-for-6 with today's rider Gomez. Gets some extra distance today, which he's known to enjoy, and should get an honest pace in front of him. Also worth mentioning that his big Pro-Ride win came after the track had taken some rain, and there's been rain this week as well. No reason not to expect another big effort here.

HRT record:

51 for 180 (28%)

$434.70 mutuels ($8.52 avg)

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    Cowboy cal won the race but I think that blue exit looked the best...rough trip but he was flying home.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2009
    I was surprised that Blue Exit was able to close that well into the slow pace. Very impressive performance.
    edited February 2009
    Well i caught a couple races yesterday and I have to ask how did well armed get caught after walking 25.1 and 49.2 i thought he was gone but he got caught...
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    rayphil wrote: »
    Well i caught a couple races yesterday and I have to ask how did well armed get caught after walking 25.1 and 49.2 i thought he was gone but he got caught...

Combination of Well Armed losing form and a well timed ride by Rosario. I guess Magnum had been having some issues and was a 1st time gelding this race. Maybe thats what the horse needed because I sure didnt see a positive to him in the form. I give alot of credit to Mike Smith for moving Tiago that early because of the fractions but it still wasn't enough. Very disappointing race IMO.
    edited February 2009
    I Also Agree I Thought He Would Perform Much Better. I Just Think That He Is One Of Them Horses That Never Get There But Run A Good 2nd Or 3rd And Then Get Overbet..
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2009
    Well Armed had absolutely no excuse. He simply wasn't good enough. Not sure what's happened to him, but he's definitely gone off-form these days.