The Pamplemousse Is Shining

rayphilrayphil Senior Member
edited February 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
DRF.COM

The Pamplemousse sparkles in workout
By Jay Privman
ARCADIA, Calif. - The deluge that struck Santa Anita earlier this week left a few soggy spots on the main track on Wednesday morning, and though many trainers decided to hold off on workouts for a second straight day, trainer Julio Canani put his top 3-year-old The Pamplemousse through a critical six-furlong drill for next week's Sham Stakes, and he could not have been more impressive.

With his regular jockey, Alex Solis, aboard, The Pamplemousse effortlessly cruised through six furlongs on a gorgeous morning here. His official final time was 1:12.40 - Canani had him slightly faster - but the time was not nearly as important as the way in which The Pamplemousse did it. Canani, excitable when he wakes up, was dazzled, so much so that as soon as the work ended, he started spewing off a series of unprintable expletives, not in disgust, but in admiration.

"Did you see that?" is the G-rated version of what Canani said. "Look at him. He was just galloping. Thank God I don't got the fever."

He repeated "I don't got the fever" as he walked animatedly along the apron and past Clocker's Corner, where several fellow trainers pointed out that, indeed, he was getting the fever. Canani then waited near the top of the stretch, where The Pamplemousse walked by on his way back to the barn, never taking a deep breath.

"Everybody says the track is deep. Look at this horse," he said. "Look at this horse."

The Pamplemousse is coming off a front-running win last month in the San Rafael Stakes. He will be seeking his third straight victory in the Grade 3, $200,000 Sham on Feb. 28, which will be his first race at 1 1/8 miles.

Solis said The Pamplemousse "felt like he was walking around there."

"He's getting stronger," Solis said. "I like what Julio is doing. He's letting him catch up with himself rather than forcing it. All his works, he does it in hand."

Keeping off the track

Only 17 horses recorded works at Santa Anita on Tuesday, and just 41 on Wednesday, as the main track, a Pro-Ride all-weather surface, continued to dry out following the heavy rain of last weekend.

"There's a wet spot at the three-eighths pole, and management has been very open about saying they needed one more day," said trainer Eoin Harty, who postponed scheduled works of Colonel John and Well Armed until Thursday. "I'm going to defer to their better judgment."

Richard Mandella was another trainer who decided to gallop and jog most of his horses.

"The track is still drying out," Mandella said. "I'll wait until [Thursday]. It took a pretty good beating."

There was no racing at Santa Anita on Wednesday, with the track taking two scheduled dark days following Monday's holiday card. After training hours were over on Wednesday, track maintenance crews were seen using heavy equipment to work on the surface between the three-eighths pole and five-sixteenths pole.

Comments

• DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited February 2009
    SOUNDS LIKE CANANI NEEDS TO GET LAIDED!!:lipssealed:
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2009
    Just saw this, and was about to post the same article....LOL

Go Pamplemousse!
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited February 2009
    What Did Yankee Bravo Trainer Do When His Horse Went 33.4 For Three I Sure He Said The Track Is Deep These Trainers Are Are All Part Of The Game Jump Up And Down A Plow Horse Could Do 112.3
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    DUNCO wrote: »
    What Did Yankee Bravo Trainer Do When His Horse Went 33.4 For Three I Sure He Said The Track Is Deep These Trainers Are Are All Part Of The Game Jump Up And Down A Plow Horse Could Do 112.3

You are one interesting man Dunco. I don't think I even understand 80% of your posts :x-huh:

That a boy Pamplemousse!
    DC, who is he looking to be up against in the Sham? Mr Hot Stuff headed there? Any other big names from CA?
    edited February 2009
    Mr. Hot Stuff is the only other name I've heard so far.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    Mr. Hot Stuff is the only other name I've heard so far.

There sending Mr. Hot Stuff to cali to run the sticky stuff? DC
    edited February 2009
    He's been out there, FB. Are you thinking of Mr. Fantasy instead?
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited February 2009
    Late Flying What My Post Ment Was Granted 112.4 Is A Good Work Yankee Bravo Went 33.4 For 3f And There Was A 34.8 Work Also Soo I Sure The Track Was Not Deep If Anything Fast And If You Look At Yesterday Works 30 Horses Went Less 1:01 For 5f And Could Of Joged Out At 1:12.4 Soo The Bottom Line Is That Canani Has The Derby Fever And The Horse Will Have No Excuses When He Runs And???? Crushes The Other Nags (i Put That In For You). God Luck
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    He's been out there, FB. Are you thinking of Mr. Fantasy instead?

Mr. Hot Stuff is C.J. half brother, I get them mixed up. Sorry.

FB
    edited February 2009
    Speaking of Mr. Fantasy where is he aimed for next? Are they going to keep him amongst the weak NY crew to build up stakes money or ship him south for a better test? I'm assuming the Wood Memorial is his major prep if he stays in NY.
    edited February 2009
    Thought i heard something about Mr. Fantasy pointing to the Gotham.
    edited February 2009
    Thought i heard something about Mr. Fantasy pointing to the Gotham.

ah alright, so following the NY trail. Maybe he'll be 6/5 if he faces Haynesfield :thumbup:
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    The pamplemousse was back at work this morning working 3f in 35.3 in preparation for saturdays sham...
    edited February 2009
    I saw that. Canani has been using the 3-furlong blowouts with Pamplemousse, and they've worked well. Let's hope he runs another big race this weekend.
    edited February 2009
    I hope he sits behind someone this time.I believe he is better stalking then trying to wire the field.
    edited February 2009
    I firmly believe that Pamplemousse wound up on the lead by accident last time. He drew the rail with a short run to the first turn, and the horses to his outside were forced out a little bit rounding the turn by an errant Brother Keith. That left The Pamplemousse all alone in front, and what was he supposed to do, slam on the brakes??? That aspect of the race has simply been overlooked, and some people now consider The Pamplemousse a front-running type. I think we here @ HRT know better. Sure, he'll take the lead if it's given to him, but he doesn't need it. I haven't looked at the Sham on paper yet, but i would suspect he'll be coming from off the pace, as he had before the San Rafael.

Incidentally, Pamplemousse was flattered again last weekend as his maiden victim Mayor Marv won the Turf Paradise Derby by open lengths.
    edited February 2009
    ALSO NOTABLE ABOUT FREE COUNTRY HE IS NOT STICKING AROUND FOR THE TAMPA BAY DERBY HER IS WHAT MC PEEK SAID.
    Free Country targets Louisiana Derby

Trainer Ken McPeek said he is simply going to dismiss Free Country's disappointing fourth-place effort as the favorite in the Grade 3 Sam F. Davis Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs. The setback was the first in three starts for the promising 3-year-old, who won an allowance race going 1 1/8 miles in his 2009 debut here earlier in the meet.

"He really struggled with that deep racetrack at Tampa - he just didn't handle it at all," McPeek said. "He drank a bucket and a quarter of water coming off the track and was a very tired horse after the race."

McPeek said Free Country would likely make his next start in the Louisiana Derby.
    edited February 2009
    I hadn't seen that yet...thanks for the heads-up.
  • peacerulespeacerules Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    Theregoesjojo In The Fountain Of Youth Sat He Is Better Than Free Country In My Opinion We Will See Down The Rd.
    edited February 2009
    Very interested to see Theregoesjojo stretch out . He looked very sharp going 7 furlongs, that's for sure.

It's a shame the Fountain of Youth isn't two turns, we'd learn more about these horses as potential Derby prospects.
    edited February 2009
    I firmly believe that Pamplemousse wound up on the lead by accident last time. He drew the rail with a short run to the first turn, and the horses to his outside were forced out a little bit rounding the turn by an errant Brother Keith. That left The Pamplemousse all alone in front, and what was he supposed to do, slam on the brakes??? That aspect of the race has simply been overlooked, and some people now consider The Pamplemousse a front-running type. I think we here @ HRT know better. Sure, he'll take the lead if it's given to him, but he doesn't need it. I haven't looked at the Sham on paper yet, but i would suspect he'll be coming from off the pace, as he had before the San Rafael.

Incidentally, Pamplemousse was flattered again last weekend as his maiden victim Mayor Marv won the Turf Paradise Derby by open lengths.

:laugh: I just posted something about this in your other Pamplemousse thread before I got to this one.

I can't wait for Saturday, it'd be great to have a HRT fan favorite run a monster race. I haven't seen the race on paper, but visually from the races it seems like a 2-horse race to me. Ventana seems like a lost cause to me. Pamplemousse/Mr Hot Stuff exacta.