Latest on The Pamplemousse

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited February 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

The Pamplemousse did not need much Tuesday, and after a three-furlong work in 35.60 seconds under jockey Alex Solis, trainer Julio Canani stated simply, "Perfect, done." The Pamplemousse galloped out a half-mile in 48.20, and is expected to set the pace Saturday in the Grade 3 Sham Stakes, his first start since racing wire to wire Jan. 17 in the Grade 3 San Rafael Stakes at one mile.

Co-owners Alex Solis II, Chuck Winner, and Bill Strauss watched The Pamplemousse's work, after which Canani said, "He's getting more mature now. He's a natural."

The Pamplemousse will stretch to 1 1/8 miles in the Sham against Gulfstream Park allowance winner Take the Points and sharp Santa Anita maiden winner Mr. Hot Stuff. Mr. Hot Stuff worked a half-mile Tuesday in 47.20 seconds. Mark S the Cooler and Ventana also are expected.

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    from Daily Racing Form:

The Pamplemousse did not need much Tuesday, and after a three-furlong work in 35.60 seconds under jockey Alex Solis, trainer Julio Canani stated simply, "Perfect, done." The Pamplemousse galloped out a half-mile in 48.20, and is expected to set the pace Saturday in the Grade 3 Sham Stakes, his first start since racing wire to wire Jan. 17 in the Grade 3 San Rafael Stakes at one mile.

Co-owners Alex Solis II, Chuck Winner, and Bill Strauss watched The Pamplemousse's work, after which Canani said, "He's getting more mature now. He's a natural."

The Pamplemousse will stretch to 1 1/8 miles in the Sham against Gulfstream Park allowance winner Take the Points and sharp Santa Anita maiden winner Mr. Hot Stuff. Mr. Hot Stuff worked a half-mile Tuesday in 47.20 seconds. Mark S the Cooler and Ventana also are expected.

Why do all of these articles keep saying the pace setter? He runs one race on the front (due to Brother Keith blowing the turn, or else he'd have been stalking) and now they think he's a need the lead horse? Everything I've recently seen on this horse says "pace setter" or "front running".
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2009
    Good question...I've noticed the same thing
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    The reasoning for this is that we know the horse and watched this horse since race 1 and everyone else just caught his last race and drew that conclusion...
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    I Just Read The Article About Canani On Drf.com And I Did Not Know That He Was 70 Years Old........