Post-race quotes from the connections of The Pamplemousse

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Santa Anita website:

Jockey quotes

ALEX SOLIS, THE PAMPLEMOUSSE, WINNER: “I’ve never ridden anything like him. The way he’s been training, I expected something like this. He has such a high cruising speed and he’s getting more and more amazing. He has such a good mind and he was real relaxed the whole way. If you want to get an idea of how he’ll do going a mile and a quarter, I switched to my left stick and hit him one time at the eighth pole and he just took off. He’s unbelievable.”

Trainer quotes

JULIO CANANI, THE PAMPLEMOUSSE, WINNER: “I’m always nervous (before a race), whether I’m running a $10,000 claimer, I’m nervous anyway, because it’s in my blood.”

Told the fractions were moderate: “Time only counts to get out of jail, so whatever happens, slow track or fast track, it’s life.”

Asked how impressed he was when the Pamplemousse drew out in the stretch: “He is a nice horse. Every race, this horse is improving more. The Santa Anita Derby ($750,000, Grade I, 1 1/8 miles on April 4) is his next race.”

Comments

• turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    i have bet on solis in 2 derbys, snow chief, brother derek, i can see the 3rd wager in the near future,
    thank's for the daily up-dates, keep up the good work!!!!!
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    His fractions look good to me his last 1/8 in 12 and change and he was ridden out and still only two seconds off track record on cruise control.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    He did not let us down he look amazing yesterday.....everyrace he wins I just get pissed off that I didnt get him at 29-1 in the future....he went 110.1 for 3/4 1.47 and change the the 1 1/8........WOW
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    I just watched the replay and wow seems like all this horse wants to do is run. Its going to be an interesting SA derby.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    rayphil wrote: »
    He did not let us down he look amazing yesterday.....everyrace he wins I just get pissed off that I didnt get him at 29-1 in the future....he went 110.1 for 3/4 1.47 and change the the 1 1/8........WOW

Most impressive 3 yo I have seen this year so far, just wait till he hits the real dirt might run away like Pegasus. He moves to the top of my Derby 5. He ran the Sham race almost two seconds faster than Magnum did in the San Antonio.

FB
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Most impressive 3 yo I have seen this year so far, just wait till he hits the real dirt might run away like Pegasus. He moves to the top of my Derby 5. He ran the Sham race almost two seconds faster than Magnum did in the San Antonio.

FB

This may be the first time I made a future worth while :clap2:
  • edited March 2009
    fbwinners ...I JUST WATCHED THE REPLAY THE HORSE RAN A MAGNIFICENT RACE WIRE TO WIRE UNCONTESTED IN GOOD TIME AND FRACTIONS...BUT I VEHEMENTLY DISAGREE WITH YOU THAT YOU CANT WAIT TILL HE GETS ON REAL DIRT......THE CHURCHILL STRIP HAS BEEN THE DOWNFALL AND NOW THE NEW NEMISES OF SYNTHETIC-POLY-PRO RIDE CALL THEM WHAT YOU LIKE SURFACES......BASICALLY YOU CAN HAND JULIO THE SANTA ANITA DERBY CHECK NOW AS I NO HE WILL PROBABLY MEET A FIELD OF 6-8 HORSES AND WIRE AGAIN....HE NEEDS TO GET ON DIRT AND FAST TO BE CONSIDERED SERIOUS IN MY MIND.....
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    I'm hearing this argument a lot lately. So because the California tracks are now synthetic, a horse coming from California can't win the Derby? Easy to say when it's only been two years. And btw, Street Sense won the 2007 Derby after having his final prep on the Keeneland polytrack.
    edited March 2009
    GAMBLER911 wrote: »
    fbwinners ...I JUST WATCHED THE REPLAY THE HORSE RAN A MAGNIFICENT RACE WIRE TO WIRE UNCONTESTED IN GOOD TIME AND FRACTIONS...BUT I VEHEMENTLY DISAGREE WITH YOU THAT YOU CANT WAIT TILL HE GETS ON REAL DIRT......THE CHURCHILL STRIP HAS BEEN THE DOWNFALL AND NOW THE NEW NEMISES OF SYNTHETIC-POLY-PRO RIDE CALL THEM WHAT YOU LIKE SURFACES......BASICALLY YOU CAN HAND JULIO THE SANTA ANITA DERBY CHECK NOW AS I NO HE WILL PROBABLY MEET A FIELD OF 6-8 HORSES AND WIRE AGAIN....HE NEEDS TO GET ON DIRT AND FAST TO BE CONSIDERED SERIOUS IN MY MIND.....

While I agree that it is a disadvantage for a runner to enter the derby having never run on dirt, I find it hard to believe that you can't consider him a serious contender.

He has already answered distance questions with an impressive 1 1/8 victory in which he opened up on the field in the stretch after quick splits. He's growing and maturing work by work and race by race. It doesn't look like he has peaked yet. We already know he can rate as he sat off the pace to defeat Mayor Marv in his maiden victory (which flatters the Pamplemousse even more as Mayor Marv won the TUP Derby with ease). The Sham was the only 3yo prep where I said to myself after the race, "that horse can win the derby".

Going into the derby every horse has one or more questions. Can he rate? will he be too far back? Will he like dirt? Is the distance too much? Did he have enough races? Did he already peak? etc.

I'll take the Pamplemousse at the moment as he has answered every question but one (Y)
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    GAMBLER911 wrote: »

We all have our opinions and angles we play and I can tell you one thing, last year at the Derby I caught Intangaroo at 14-1 going from all weather to dirt and then caught her back at the Spa on the dirt again. I made a nice score on Saturday with Snapshot at the Stream hitting the real dirt for the first time and I go a gift at 6-1 with him off three bullet breezes at Payson Park, when he hit the gulfstream surface he just ran away and hid from them. I played Colonel John last year over Big Brown and the only reason I did that was the 20 hole for Big Brown, still kicking myself in the ass on that derby wager. Right now to me the Derby is still wide open but I think the winner will come from Cali this year and it might not be PON or The Pample. As DC stated below Street Sense had a poly race and so did Hard Spun that year, good horses can run on anything.

FB
  • edited March 2009
    i agree the derby picture is wide open and im not discrediting the horse like i stated he ran a bang up races went 3/4 of a mile in 1.10 change and when solis tapped once he drew away a real good performance...street sense as you mentioned cat had run on dirt in previous races...payson park is the best deep training track in florida when those horses work over that track and hit gulfstream track its like night and day..calder surface is deep type track as well if a horse runs a 1.12 6 f race there you can basically take a full second off at the gulf..julio will pick up a check in a short santa anita field im guessing 6-8 max..the question is-is the horse learning anything by wiring a field ??? he is superior of the west coast...i dont have my derby horse yet waiting for florida derby..and rebel...
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    According to this -- The Pamplemousse is being treated like- Rodney Dangerfield- I hope their opinions stay like that.

The <i>original</i> Derby poll | courier-journal | The Courier-Journal
    edited March 2009
    InTheFog wrote: »
    According to this -- The Pamplemousse is being treated like- Rodney Dangerfield- I hope their opinions stay like that.

The <i>original</i> Derby poll | courier-journal | The Courier-Journal

A majority of those handicappers are awful. We'll see where my boy Jeff Seagull from HRTV has The Pamplemousse come his show thursday. Guarentee he'll be top 3...where he belongs.
    edited March 2009
    in the fog..The list that made me laugh the most was from jill byrne from tvg...I watch tvg and she is the biggest chalk player on there and she has a list full of nobodies who do not even belong there...soul warrior(WHAT) it is simply stupid.. I love the pample mousse and ive been with him since his first start and im not saying he needs to be on top of eveyone lists but give him a little credit.....
    edited March 2009
    rayphil wrote: »
    in the fog..The list that made me laugh the most was from jill byrne from tvg...I watch tvg and she is the biggest chalk player on there and she has a list full of nobodies who do not even belong there...soul warrior(WHAT) it is simply stupid.. I love the pample mousse and ive been with him since his first start and im not saying he needs to be on top of eveyone lists but give him a little credit.....

Agreed. Jill Byrne should not even have checkmark selections on TVG. The checkmark simply falls on the chalk 7 out of 8 races. The other race it will fall on a middle priced horse that will run off the board. Mr. B is another flash player, not to mention the fact that just hearing him talk puts me to sleep.
    edited March 2009
    I do agree. I do have an account with tvg and I do watch it a lot. But everytime she is on there I turn it off because she always plays the chalk and like you said in that one race she doesnt she plays like a 4-1 shot at most....waste of time....