Derby Top 5

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Here is my Derby Top 5 as of today March 3, 2009. This will probably change after the next two weekends.

1. The Pamplemousse

2. Old Fashioned

3. Pioneer of the Nile

4. Theregoesjojo

5. Mr. Fantasy

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    fbwinners wrote: »
    Here is my Derby Top 5 as of today March 3, 2009. This will probably change after the next two weekends.

1. The Pamplemousse

2. Old Fashioned

3. Pioneer of the Nile

4. Theregoesjojo

5. Mr. Fantasy

I had posted something similar a week or so back, little update:

1) The Pamplemousse
    2) Patena
    3) Giant Oak
    4) Pioneer of the Nile
    5) Fresian Fire

FF just notched out Stardom Bound and Mr Fantasy.
    Mr. Fantasy goes saturday in the Gotham correct?
    Im hoping to get an acceptable price considering he will be up against Haynesfield (who I believe has done nothing but edge out wins over incapable horses)
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Mr fantasy is going staurday in new york..also talamo is flying in for i want revenge even though he is banned to sunday.....they are allowing him to ride because it is a stakes race....
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Could be a nice price on the out-of-town shipper I Want Revenge, with most of the attention focused on the Mr. Fantasy/Haynesfield battle.
    edited March 2009
    I was completely unaware I Want Revenge was shipping west for this. Play exactas with Haynesfield out of the top 2! :toast:

This race should prove alot. Should I Want Revenge run well it would flatter Pioneerofthe Nile. This should also give us a gauge on Mr. Fantasy. Two runaway wins on the front end (similar to Big Brown on paper). If he can handle this competition, look for Mr. Fantasy to skyrocket on people's lists. Race should also show how good Haynesfield actually is (which is not that good IMO, but we'll see).
    edited March 2009
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    I was completely unaware I Want Revenge was shipping west for this. Play exactas with Haynesfield out of the top 2! :toast:

This race should prove alot. Should I Want Revenge run well it would flatter Pioneerofthe Nile. This should also give us a gauge on Mr. Fantasy. Two runaway wins on the front end (similar to Big Brown on paper). If he can handle this competition, look for Mr. Fantasy to skyrocket on people's lists. Race should also show how good Haynesfield actually is (which is not that good IMO, but we'll see).

Doh meant to say shipping east! :idoit:
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited March 2009
    I WANT REVENGE & PIONEER OF THE NILE both DUAL QUALIFIERS :eek:
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    A odd horse who is running in the gotham is axel foley....even though his last one was a clanker he shipped to the east and is being trained by k.mclaughlin now....did not know he switch barns from doug oneil......big difference, long shot look but another note for that race is that joe talamo said after I want revenge does not take to the surface at santa anita thats why they shipped east...just a little tidbit.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    #1 DUNKIRK -- #2 FREE COUNTRY -- #3 MR. FANTASY -- #4 THE PAMPLEMOUSSE -- #5 PIONEER OF THE NILE ( I know contorversy with my top 3. Just like all the other years when I had, early in the game before the hipe, Big Brown, Bernardini, Hard Spun, Victory Gallop, A.P. Indy, Red Bullet ect.) Top 3 highly capable Colts at a good price, not 2-5. Free Country being @ the best price of the three. Hoping to get 15-1 or better in the La. Derby, with a bouce back ( Just like Quality Roads did ). May the Horse be with you. Good Luck
    edited March 2009
    cinfront wrote: »
    #1 DUNKIRK -- #2 FREE COUNTRY -- #3 MR. FANTASY -- #4 THE PAMPLEMOUSSE -- #5 PIONEER OF THE NILE ( I know contorversy with my top 3. Just like all the other years when I had, early in the game before the hipe, Big Brown, Bernardini, Hard Spun, Victory Gallop, A.P. Indy, Red Bullet ect.) Top 3 highly capable Colts at a good price, not 2-5. Free Country being @ the best price of the three. Hoping to get 15-1 or better in the La. Derby, with a bouce back ( Just like Quality Roads did ). May the Horse be with you. Good Luck

I don't take anything away from your top 3 as Mr. Fantasy nearly made my list. As for Dunkirk I'm not into his hype and am not as impressed as most. Yes his trip was awful in his last, but who did he really beat? I don't personally see Free Country as a derby horse but best of luck to you.
    Agree with you in full on #'s 4+5