San Felipe Upset

FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
As some of you remember, I was pretty high on a colt named Shafted and had him as a selection for the Robert B. Lewis where he didn't run a step and made me look foolish on multiple forums :thumbdown:

For reasons why I liked him see my thread:
http://www.horseracingtalk.com/horse-racing-forum/robert-b-lewis-stakes-selection-6420.html

Today while reading a bloodhorse article I discovered this:

Many will get turned off by Shafted poor performance in the Robert B. Lewis (gr. II), in which he did no running and was beaten nine lengths by Pioneerof the Nile. But while cooling out after the race, trainer Mark Casse noticed that he was in a little bit of discomfort and showing signs of a horse that had tied up (he was exhausted and not walking fluidly). Casse was puzzled, because horses normally don’t tie up in a race when the adrenaline is flowing. They pulled blood on the colt the next morning, and sure enough, his enzyme levels were high enough to indicate there was some muscle damage and that he in fact had tied up.

Casse gave him a break and began working him on Feb. 26. After a half-mile breeze in :49 2/5, Shafted came back with a solid five-furlong drill in 1:00 4/5 on March 5 with jockey Joel Rosario aboard.

Full Article:
Ky. Derby Trail: Second Wave Lands | BloodHorse.com News

To get to my point, something went wrong that I just discovered now. In my original thread you can see the main reasoning for me jumping aboard this horse was the key race in the Display S. at Woodbine. This race came back key AGAIN on Saturday when Hooh Why ran a neck shy of beating Stardom Bound finishing 3rd in the SA Oaks. Stardom Bound would run every horse in this field (with the exception of PotN) right off their feet.

I'll have him Win/Place. Exactas with PotN. Use him in your Pick3's + 4's because if he beats PotN, look for some HUGE payouts.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    Interesting, thanks.

Btw, my friend Crick (who is very high on Pioneerof the Nile) points out that POTN doesn't need to win this race, as he already has enough graded earnings to make the Derby. And of course he has the bigger Santa Anita Derby coming up next as well. He probably won't be 100% cranked for the San Felipe.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited March 2009
    potn dual Qualifier Hope He Stays Sound
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    As some of you remember, I was pretty high on a colt named Shafted and had him as a selection for the Robert B. Lewis where he didn't run a step and made me look foolish on multiple forums :thumbdown:

For reasons why I liked him see my thread:
    http://www.horseracingtalk.com/horse-racing-forum/robert-b-lewis-stakes-selection-6420.html

Today while reading a bloodhorse article I discovered this:

Many will get turned off by Shafted poor performance in the Robert B. Lewis (gr. II), in which he did no running and was beaten nine lengths by Pioneerof the Nile. But while cooling out after the race, trainer Mark Casse noticed that he was in a little bit of discomfort and showing signs of a horse that had tied up (he was exhausted and not walking fluidly). Casse was puzzled, because horses normally don’t tie up in a race when the adrenaline is flowing. They pulled blood on the colt the next morning, and sure enough, his enzyme levels were high enough to indicate there was some muscle damage and that he in fact had tied up.

Casse gave him a break and began working him on Feb. 26. After a half-mile breeze in :49 2/5, Shafted came back with a solid five-furlong drill in 1:00 4/5 on March 5 with jockey Joel Rosario aboard.

Full Article:
    Ky. Derby Trail: Second Wave Lands | BloodHorse.com News

To get to my point, something went wrong that I just discovered now. In my original thread you can see the main reasoning for me jumping aboard this horse was the key race in the Display S. at Woodbine. This race came back key AGAIN on Saturday when Hooh Why ran a neck shy of beating Stardom Bound finishing 3rd in the SA Oaks. Stardom Bound would run every horse in this field (with the exception of PotN) right off their feet.

I'll have him Win/Place. Exactas with PotN. Use him in your Pick3's + 4's because if he beats PotN, look for some HUGE payouts.

Just wanted to give you heads up that the last work by Shafted on the 5th of March was hands down his best since arriving in Cali, that is straight from a clocker that is there each and every day. He also stated that PON last work he came home in 22.4 never taking a breathe.

FB