$3 million offer for Win Willy declined

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
$3 million offer for Win Willy declined

WIN WILLY (Monarchos), who shot to fame when springing a 56-1 upset of Old Fashioned (Unbridled's Song) in Saturday's Rebel S. (G2), was the subject of a $3 million dollar purchase offer, trainer McLean Robertson told the Oaklawn press office Sunday.

The offer was declined. Owned by Jer-Mar Stable, the gray colt will stay with Robertson and aim for the $1 million Arkansas Derby (G2) at Oaklawn on April 11.

"Oaklawn Park is my favorite track. It was my favorite even before I won the Rebel yesterday," Robertson said.

The trainer commented further on Win Willy, who will be a late nominee to the Triple Crown.

"I got Win Willy last year at Canterbury Park. I knew he was a good prospect the first time I ran him. His second race wasn't a good one for him, and he came out of it with sore shins. We gave him some time off, and he came back well.

"I was sure he would run a big race yesterday. Inside the stretch, I realized we would be no worse than second. Before the eighth-pole, I really felt good.

"Cliff (Berry) rode a great race. I have complained to him a few times at Remington Park, where he is king, but I will have to take it all back now.

"We need to give this colt a lot of credit. He broke from the outside post, then circled the rivals, and was drawing clear at the end of the race.

"I didn't bet on him. The owner wagered on him, and gave some tickets to the colt's groom, worth around $11,000. Yes, the groom was at the barn ready to go to work this morning, maybe not in the best of shape if you know what I mean, but he did show up and that was the important factor.

"(Win Willy) has a wonderful personality on the racetrack. Around the barn, he is a total jerk. He wants his own way. The owner lets me do things my way with the colt. I tell him that he can yell at me and that's fine, but he lets me handle the colt my way."

Trainer Larry Jones reports that Old Fashioned came out of his runner-up effort in the Rebel in good order. Jones added that the 1 1/16-mile distance was no problem for his star colt.

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Thats a lot of money...I would have to consider it because he may never run another race like that again so idk what I would do.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    The fact that they turned down $3 million seems to indicate that he's held in VERY high regard by his trainer. I'm not familiar with McLean Robertson at all, but apparently he's hitting over 25%, so he must be doing something right.

Btw, it's been speculated that the offer came from IEHA, whose main Derby hopeful Patena flopped over the weekend. Perhaps we haven't heard the last of Stardom Bound running in the Derby after all.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited March 2009
    hello ed-gerrrrrrrrrrr can you ride our horse? :thumbup:
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Btw, it's been speculated that the offer came from IEHA, whose main Derby hopeful Patena flopped over the weekend. Perhaps we haven't heard the last of Stardom Bound running in the Derby after all.

That's what I said in another post, however, FB said he sat with Ivaronne last weekend and he said no way will SB be derby bound. :idoit:
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    FlyinLate wrote: »
    That's what I said in another post, however, FB said he sat with Ivaronne last weekend and he said no way will SB be derby bound. :idoit:

Quote Ivaronne, " We will have our hands full in the Oaks"
  • DELRIODELRIO Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    I got a guy who wants to give me 2 broodmares both are winners and have produced, but I need to find out how I can find out what they have won and what if anything have produced, he said he dont know much about them. How can I find out about them.
    edited March 2009
    DELRIO wrote: »
    I got a guy who wants to give me 2 broodmares both are winners and have produced, but I need to find out how I can find out what they have won and what if anything have produced, he said he dont know much about them. How can I find out about them.

I have a broodmare catalog or you can google them.
    edited March 2009
    how can i get a broodmare catalogue? how would i google them?
    edited March 2009
    DELRIO wrote: »
    how can i get a broodmare catalogue? how would i google them?

All you need is there registered names.
    edited March 2009
    ms cory and the other one is you can the sires of them is yukon and silver ghost I dont know much about them either
    edited March 2009
    fbwinners wrote: »
    All you need is there registered names.

i had a meeting i had to go to. You Can is one mare and the other is Ms Cory one is by Yukon by Northern Dancer and the other is by Silver Ghost if you can tell me how to find out info I sure would appreciate it thanks mike