Papa Clem appears headed for the Arkansas Derby

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
Not a big surprise here, as Stute had stated previously that Papa Clem would remain on dirt after the Louisiana Derby. I hadn't heard the Illinois Derby mentioned until i read this article though.

from Daily Racing Form:

Trainer Gary Stute said he believes Papa Clem can find his way to Churchill Downs, but the trail he takes may already have altered course. California-based Papa Clem finished second in the Grade 2 Louisiana Derby last Saturday at Fair Grounds, after which Stute said the Illinois Derby on April 4 at Hawthorne was next.

Those plans may change. Stute said Tuesday that travel complications from Louisiana to Illinois may dictate that Papa Clem run a week later at Oaklawn Park in the Arkansas Derby on April 11.

"I like the timing better for the Illinois Derby, but the travel might force us to Arkansas," he said.

Papa Clem will stay and train at Fair Grounds. And the day after his runner-up finish, Stute liked what he saw.

"He actually seemed better than before the race," Stute said. "He was lunging at me the day after; he didn't do that before."

If Papa Clem runs in the Arkansas Derby, Stute said Rafael Bejarano would ride him back. The Illinois Derby and Santa Anita Derby both are run on April 4.

Comments

• FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited March 2009
    Not a big surprise here, as Stute had stated previously that Papa Clem would remain on dirt after the Louisiana Derby. I hadn't heard the Illinois Derby mentioned until i read this article though.

from Daily Racing Form:

Trainer Gary Stute said he believes Papa Clem can find his way to Churchill Downs, but the trail he takes may already have altered course. California-based Papa Clem finished second in the Grade 2 Louisiana Derby last Saturday at Fair Grounds, after which Stute said the Illinois Derby on April 4 at Hawthorne was next.

Those plans may change. Stute said Tuesday that travel complications from Louisiana to Illinois may dictate that Papa Clem run a week later at Oaklawn Park in the Arkansas Derby on April 11.

"I like the timing better for the Illinois Derby, but the travel might force us to Arkansas," he said.

Papa Clem will stay and train at Fair Grounds. And the day after his runner-up finish, Stute liked what he saw.

"He actually seemed better than before the race," Stute said. "He was lunging at me the day after; he didn't do that before."

If Papa Clem runs in the Arkansas Derby, Stute said Rafael Bejarano would ride him back. The Illinois Derby and Santa Anita Derby both are run on April 4.

NOOOOO! I wanted to see Papa Clem for myself at Hawthorne! Im guessing this has to do with his poor shipping from Cali to Louisiana. I hope they stick on the right course.

On another note, DC do you know who is geared for the Hawthorne derby?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2009
    I have no idea about the Illinois Derby, Papa Clem was the first name i heard associated with that race.

Btw, that's a great point about this "travel complication" having to do with the fact that he reportedly freaked out on the plane. Could be they're looking to travel by van now, and Illinois is just too far. Makes a lot more sense to van to Oaklawn, then van to Churchill. That could very well be the case.