The Pamplemousse - officially out of the Derby

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

The morning after the scratch of pre-race favorite The Pamplemousse from the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) due to a tendon flare-up, co-owner Alex Solis II, said the promising colt is off the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) trail.

“He’s comfortable; he’s fine,” said Solis, son of top jockey Alex Solis, who is The Pamplemousse's regular rider. “He’s walking right now. He’s going to run again. He’s not finished, but he will not run in the Kentucky Derby. We’ll evaluate and see how much time he needs.”

Solis, who made his comments on the morning of April 5 in the subdued atmosphere of trainer Julio Canani's barn, said that the gray son of Kafwain will undergo tests to determine the extent of the injury.

“We’re going to find out, today or tomorrow, what to do,” Canani said.

Canani scratched The Pamplemousse several hours before the Santa Anita Derby after a state veterinarian's check of the horse found "a little heat" in one of the colt's legs, Solis said before the April 4 race. Canani made the decision after consulting with his own veterinarian, Dr. Helmuth von Bluecher.

"We're not going to take any chances with him," Solis added during a brief meeting with reporters.

The Pamplemousse won the San Rafael (gr. III) and Sham (gr. III) stakes this season at Santa Anita.

Comments

• edited April 2009
    Cat...............thats Why The Tracks Offer Those Future/sucker Bets In My Mind.............thats Ashame,i Was All Geared Up To Bet Him Yesterday..............wonder How Much Cash He Burned In Those Pools ????
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2009
    I stood to win over $17k on The Pamplemousse had he won the Derby. I had tickets on him @ 150/1 (bet last November) and 75/1 (bet after the San Rafael). Obviously, i'm crushed.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    I stood to win over $17k on The Pamplemousse had he won the Derby. I had tickets on him @ 150/1 (bet last November) and 75/1 (bet after the San Rafael). Obviously, i'm crushed.

I also had a large future wager on the Pamplemousse. Not nearly as much as $17k, but would have won a couple grand had he won the derby.