Must-read for all I Want Revenge supporters

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Thoroughbred Times:

New York stewards scratched Gato Go Win from the Bay Shore Stakes (G2) on Saturday at Aqueduct after security personnel said they saw trainer Jeff Mullins attempting to administer a substance to the colt before the race.

Joe Mahoney, a spokesman for the New York State Racing and Wagering Board, said that security alleges Mullins brought a syringe into the detention barn.

The Bay Shore was the first leg of an all stakes pick four on Saturday at Aqueduct that included the Wood Memorial Stakes (G1), which Mullins won with I Want Revenge.

“Our stewards are investigating an incident inside NYRA’s detention barn on Saturday afternoon,” Mahoney said. “NYRA security personnel advised the stewards that Mr. Mullins was observed attempting to administer an over-the-counter product called Air Power to [Gato Go Win] in the security barn. He had also apparently taken a syringe into the security barn.

“As a result, the stewards directed that Gato Go Win be scratched, and they will be conferring on this later in the coming week … most likely Wednesday.”

Mullins trains Gato Go Win for a partnership of Dean De Renzo, Randy Hartley, Joey Platts, and William Sims. He trains I Want Revenge for a partnership of IEAH Stables, David Lanzman, Puglisi Racing, and Charles Winner. IEAH, Puglisi, and Winner all bought into the Stephen Got Even colt following his 8½-length victory in the Gotham Stakes (G3) in March.

“There was no incident involving I Want Revenge, who was under surveillance in the security barn prior to racing,” Mahoney said of the Wood Memorial winner.

Mullins’s cell phone went directly to voicemail during repeated attempts to reach him for comment on Sunday afternoon.

Michael Iavarone, co-president of IEAH Stables, said that he had heard that a possible infraction occurred with Mullins on the Wood Memorial undercard but that he did not know enough about the situation to comment.

“Naturally, anytime you hear about a scratch or violation it’s disturbing,” Iavarone said. “I can’t make any judgments. I just hope that whatever story evolves doesn’t take away from the performance of I Want Revenge. I went through this last year [with Big Brown and trainer Richard Dutrow Jr.], and it’s disturbing to me again that attention could be taken away from the horse.”

Iavarone said that part of IEAH’s agreement with Lanzman includes a clause that Lanzman would retain all decisions related to the connections of I Want Revenge (pertaining to trainer and jockey) unless the colt finishes out of the money in multiple races.

Like Dutrow, Mullins is no stranger to rules violations. In spring 2008, he served a 20-day suspension from the California Horse Racing Board for use of the Class 2 drug mepivicane, and at least one of his horses tested positive for excessive levels of total carbon dioxide in 2005. In the aftermath of his troubles in 2005, Mullins lashed out against the industry and was quoted in the Los Angeles Times as having attributed his troubles to horseplayers “crying about losing a $2 bet.

“If you bet on horses, I would call you an idiot,” the Times quoted the trainer as saying.

Mullins had another total carbon dioxide violation in summer 2008.

Mahoney said that Mullins’s presence in the detention barn itself was not a violation. He added that any attempt to administer something to a horse and possession of a syringe would be violations.

Air Power is an over-the-counter cough formula manufactured by Finish Line. The company’s website states that Air Power will stop a horse’s cough all day and “that nothing manufactured and sold by Finish Line will test positive in any race or show jurisdiction. …”

“If a horse needs Air Power to get to the finish line on race day, then we have a problem with that,” Mahoney said. “We have one of the most aggressive drug-testing programs in the entire nation and we will continue to be aggressive in our watchdog role because of the emphasis we place on integrity.”

Comments

• TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    “If you bet on horses, I would call you an idiot,” the Times quoted the trainer as saying.

I guess Mullins doesn't realize who pays his salary....if there were no bettors, he would not have a job in the industry....every trainer ever caught should be revoked of a license and never have a job in the industry again...run them like major corporations...get caught and your gone...
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009
    Ban him... Ban him... Ban him.....

There should be a 0 tolerance for this.

A guy like this should be run out of the sport all together. Call the police.
  • turfmanturfman Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    if you have a syringe in the detention barn...you are a ass-hole!!! that's what he gets!!!!!

i see why i want revenge...was acting crazy in the gate....he then ran like a jet plane, under a
    hand ride!!! must have got his shot, before he made it to the detention barn!!!!lol
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    That is just stupid..he shold be put out for this for a good bit of time. Especially now that the derby is approaching that is something that people are going to talk about and once again horse racing will be talked about in a negative way...
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited April 2009
    Agreed, arrested on the spot and banned from that track for life.
  • edited April 2009
    CAT..........THIS IS A GOOD POST BUT NOTHING NEW TO THOSE OF US THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND THIS GAME FOR 40 YEARS.....I GIVE TONS OF CREDIT TO NEW YORK WHICH HELD OUT ON MEDICATIONS FOR YEARS BUT WERE FORCED BY TRAINERS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY TO ALLOW LASIX-BUTE AND VARIOUS PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUGS/MEDICATIONS....THE TRAINERS WOULDNT SHIP TO N.Y. BECAUSE OF THERE STRICT MEDICATION RULES.....I SAID IT A MILLION TIMES IF LASIX IS A DIURETIC FOR BLEEDING PROBLEMS,AND ENHANCES A HORSES BREATHING THEN EXPLAIN THIS TO ME....OPEN YOUR RACING FORM COUNT THE ENTRYS AT 6 TRACKS FOR A DAY AND COUNT THE TOTAL NUMBER OF HORSES ON LASIX VS NOT ON LASIX....I DID THIS DURING A SNOWY WINTER DAY AND FOUND 572 ENTERED AND 550 WERE ON MEDICATIONS....LOOK AT THE 2 YEAR OLD MAIDEN RACES FOR FIRST TIME STARTERS AND LOOK AT HOW MANY ARE ON MEDICATIONS,ITS ASTONISHING THAT A HORSE WHO HAS NEVER RAN A RACE BE MEDICATED.....THE TESTING IS A FLOP AS YOU NO RACING IS A BANKRUPT JOKE ANYMORE,NO ONE IS HELD ACCOUNTABLE IN THIS GAME....PAT V.BILLY PATIN {BUZZER BOY} lake,levine dutrow mullins its truly a freakin joke........
    edited April 2009
    Mullins could face sanctions over Gato Go Win
    By David Grening

Jeff Mullins, the trainer of potential Kentucky Derby favorite I Want Revenge, could face sanctions from the New York State Racing and Wagering Board after Mullins was observed giving Gato Go Win medication in the race-day security barn Saturday, necessitating the colt's scratch from the Grade 3 Bay Shore Stakes.

According to a NYSRWB spokesman, "Mr. Mullins was observed administering an over-the-counter product called Air Power to the horse in the security barn. He had also apparently taken a syringe into the security barn. As a result, the stewards directed that Gato Go Win be scratched."

Air Power is an expectorant that helps loosen phlegm and clear bronchial airways. One New York trainer likened it to a liquid form of Vick's VapoRub that can be given in most states, including New York, but it is not allowed to be given in the security barn. It is administered orally by use of a metal dose syringe. Mullins could face penalties because it is forbidden to bring anything into the race-day security barn, which the New York Racing Association instituted in 2005.

The board said the stewards did not deem it necessary to scratch I Want Revenge from the Wood Memorial - a race he won by 1 1/2 lengths despite a brutal trip.

"There was no incident involving I Want Revenge, who was under surveillance in the security barn prior to racing," said Joe Mahoney, a board spokesman.

Mahoney said the stewards are still investigating the matter and that it would be "premature to get into any discussion of potential penalties," he added. "We're of the view that if a horse needs Air Power to get to the finish line, he doesn't belong in the race."
    edited April 2009
    closed as the future pool 3 favorite at 9-2...dunkirk not to bad at 12-1...
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    rayphil wrote: »
    closed as the future pool 3 favorite at 9-2...dunkirk not to bad at 12-1...

There is a good chance Dunkirk won't even make the earnings to get in. 12-1 would be foolish to take. He's either going to sit on the bubble and pray or have to run again.
    edited April 2009
    He will probably get in the gate.. When the time gets closer horses start dropping like flies....