I Want Revenge works @ Churchill Downs

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from Thoroughbred Times:

Wood Memorial Stakes (G1) winner I Want Revenge began his final series of preparations for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands on Tuesday morning at Churchill Downs with a four-furlong breeze in :50 on a track rated as muddy.

Regular jockey Joe Talamo flew in from Southern California for the workout, and trainer Jeff Mullins was on hand as well.

“I think it was pretty much what we wanted,” Talamo said. “He didn’t really need much coming out of his last race and he’s pretty fit. He handled it great. Actually, for all the rain we had I thought it felt pretty good. They ‘floated’ it and this track takes the water pretty well.”

I Want Revenge galloped out five furlongs in 1:04.60 after splits of :12.40, :24.40, and :36.80. The move was the Stephen Got Even colt’s first published workout since winning the Wood. He arrived at Churchill Downs on April 6.

“He just needed to do enough to keep himself safe,” Mullins said. “He’s been tearing the barn down and we had to do something with him. If they get to feeling too good, they might get themselves hurt. We had to let him do a little something today, so we just let him go an easy half and galloped out long.”

I Want Revenge is undefeated on dirt after shipping East from Southern California and is expected to vie for Derby favoritism with Florida Derby Presented by Blackberry (G1) winner Quality Road.

Comments

• edited April 2009
    cat................i read that this saturday april 18th. at least 5 of the derby hopefulls are scheduled to work.....who needs horses when you have the ROYALS back to back winners.lol..............waiting to bang some nice oaks/derby doubles last year with both chalks it reurned $38.00 there is value out there in my mind.....
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    GAMBLER911 wrote: »
    cat................i read that this saturday april 18th. at least 5 of the derby hopefulls are scheduled to work.....who needs horses when you have the ROYALS back to back winners.lol..............waiting to bang some nice oaks/derby doubles last year with both chalks it reurned $38.00 there is value out there in my mind.....

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see as much value in the Oaks/Derby Double this year. I did Proud Spell, Pure Clan w/ Big Brown and was shocked at the payout.

As for this year, Rachel Alexandra is quite a standout in the Oaks this year. I'm sure there will be thousands of tickets singling her with 4-5 horses in the Derby.
  • edited April 2009
    Flyinlate..................its Amateur Betting Days On Triple Crown Especially The Derby......first Of All Your Correct As Rachel Will Be 3/5 I Will Be Wheeling Her Into The Field...then Coming Back With $100.00 Doubles Her With My Top 3 Picks.....then If Rachel Throws A Shoe Or Jumps A Shadow I Will Also Have The Second Best Filliee Wheeled Into The Derby Field...its Getting Fun Now And Imagine The Pick 3-4 Tickets ..........remember Its Amater Betting Days And Pools Are Insane.........its Like The Frauds That Get Drunk On Newyears Eve...damn Amatures...lol....dunco Is A Pro
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009
    How much is a Rachel / Quality Road double going to pay ?
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited April 2009
    All The Suckers & Kids & Newspaper People Will Be Betting That Combo, Along With Dunkirt..i Say If That Happens It Worth $12-$15 Bucks Big If For Little $$
  • edited April 2009
    Between $40---$55 If That Highly Unlikely Double Were To Come In............
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2009
    I am counting my money now because that is a no brainer. Both have too much speed for this group of plodders.
  • edited April 2009
    I think the biggest question on my mind right now is wether or not "DRAYNAY" will come back after the derby and tell everbody on here he was dead wrong....or will he resurface on here under a new name ???? whats it gonna be draynay im calling you out on this quality road love affair...............