Santa Anita Derby (G1)
4th

Miner’s Escape
Federico Tesio S.
1st

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    Big Drama in a runaway ! Real speed ....... Mine that Bird better not even show up.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    I'll be on Musket Man come Preakness day if those entries remain the same.
    I'm still in a bit of shock as to the outcome. Mine That Bird ran one phenominal race, I just don't understand where it came from :huh:

The derby started on a bad note when IWR scratched and ended on one too.
    I ended up placing a large win wager on POTN, my future wager on Papa Clem, and had them boxed in tri's and exactas with Musket Man, Summer Bird, and Mr. Hot Stuff.

Needless to say without Mine That Bird I would have won alot of money.
  • Barbar0FanBarbar0Fan Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    Of the three classics, the Preakness seems like it would be the best race for Regal Ransom but it looks like the Sheik is still smarting from his big losses in the Derby and won't be entering either horse.

I would like to see POTN do what Afleet Alex did to Giacomo in the remaining two Classics. Or what Point Given did to Monarchos. Show 'em who's really the classiest horse.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited May 2009
    Todd Must Be Sick
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Coming off the turn, i thought maybe Papa Clem was gonna do it for us. Would've been mighty sweet....
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited May 2009
    I didnt see the race, how many lengths did dunkirk win by
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited May 2009
    Unbeaten Hull Joins Preakness Cast
    Updated: Monday, May 4, 2009 5:42 PM
    Posted: Monday, May 4, 2009 5:09 PM
    Email Print RSS ShareThisEdited press release

Hull, who is unbeaten in three starts by a total of 16 lengths this season for trainer Dale Romans, will line up for the May 16 Preakness Stakes (gr. I).

Owned by Heiligbrodt Racing Stables, Team Valor International, and Gary Barber, the Kentucky-bred son of Holy Bull won the April 25 Derby Trial Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs by four lengths in his last start.

After winning his Fair Grounds debut Feb. 7 and taking a Turfway Park allowance/optional claimer April 2, Hull was an intended starter for the Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland, but he drew the outside post position and was withdrawn.

Based on the result of the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and the known new players available to contest the Preakness, Hull’s connections have decided to enter the colt in the second leg of the Triple Crown.

Romans plans to breeze the colt May 9 at Churchill Downs and have him flown from Kentucky to Maryland the Wednesday before the Preakness. “I won’t do too much with him,” said the Louisville-based trainer. “He’s fit.”

Miguel Mena, who has been aboard the bay colt for his last two wins, has been given the call to ride Hull in the Preakness.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    hue21998 wrote: »
    Unbeaten Hull Joins Preakness Cast
    Updated: Monday, May 4, 2009 5:42 PM
    Posted: Monday, May 4, 2009 5:09 PM
    Email Print RSS ShareThisEdited press release

Hull, who is unbeaten in three starts by a total of 16 lengths this season for trainer Dale Romans, will line up for the May 16 Preakness Stakes (gr. I).

Owned by Heiligbrodt Racing Stables, Team Valor International, and Gary Barber, the Kentucky-bred son of Holy Bull won the April 25 Derby Trial Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs by four lengths in his last start.

After winning his Fair Grounds debut Feb. 7 and taking a Turfway Park allowance/optional claimer April 2, Hull was an intended starter for the Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland, but he drew the outside post position and was withdrawn.

Based on the result of the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and the known new players available to contest the Preakness, Hull’s connections have decided to enter the colt in the second leg of the Triple Crown.

Romans plans to breeze the colt May 9 at Churchill Downs and have him flown from Kentucky to Maryland the Wednesday before the Preakness. “I won’t do too much with him,” said the Louisville-based trainer. “He’s fit.”

Miguel Mena, who has been aboard the bay colt for his last two wins, has been given the call to ride Hull in the Preakness.

Hull was VERY impressive in that Derby trial. Won me a descent chunk of change too. Coming from memory he was 3-4 wide in a pressured pace duel and still drew off at the end. Good chance he'll be on my Preakness tickets.
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    He's definitly on my tickets, wire to wire.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    The most prominent newcomer for the Preakness is the speedy Big Drama, who trainer David Fawkes confirmed would run after he worked six furlongs in 1:14.03 on Monday at Calder.

"He worked phenomenal," Fawkes said. "He wasn't even blowing. As of now we're heading to the Preakness. He'll train here at Calder on Tuesday and then van to Pimlico. He'll have one work at Pimlico, probably on Monday."

Fawkes said he is confident Big Drama can handle 1 3/16 miles despite having just one seven-furlong race under his belt at 3. Big Drama finished first, but then was placed second via disqualification, in the Swale Stakes at Gulfstream 5 1/2 weeks ago.

"He's training well, he always runs well fresh, and he's always done whatever we've asked him to do," Fawkes said. "My biggest question marks about the Preakness is who will be there and how the race sets up. I think he'll handle the distance just fine."

Eibar Coa, Big Drama's regular rider, was aboard for Monday's work. Coa rode Musket Man to a third-place finish in the Derby. Musket Man's status for the Preakness could affect where Coa ends up.