Ra Sold

rayphilrayphil Senior Member
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
They are reporting that RA is being bought by Jess Jackson, for 10 Million...and may send her to the Preakness...

Comments

• InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    I would think she's worth a lot more than that, if she retired now a couple foals or maybe one could bring that much.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    it was just reported for 10 million he would not confirm the price...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    from Bloodhorse:

Jess Jackson’s Stonestreet Stables and Harold T. McCormick have purchased spectacular Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Rachel Alexandra from Dolphus Morrison and Mike Lauffer.

“Rachel Alexandra is one of the best horses in racing today,” Jess Jackson said in a news release. “She is fast, strong and durable -- the traits we should all be breeding into all future generations of race horses. Her beauty and athleticism will thrill thousands of fans. ”

McCormick, the release said, is from Birmingham, Ala.

Rachel Alexandra, by Medaglia d'Oro , won the May 1 Oaks at Churchill Downs in spectacular fashion, drawing away from the field under jockey Calvin Borel to win by 20 ¼ lengths.

The release makes no mention of who will train Rachel Alexandra, but Daily Racing Form reported she likely will be transfered from Hal Wiggins to Steve Asmussen.

Jackson is the majority owner of two-time Horse of the Year Curlin, who was trained by Asmussen. Curlin now stands at Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Ky., and Jackson said following her retirement, Rachel Alexandra will be bred to Curlin .

In addition to the Oaks win, Rachel Alexandra’s graded stakes victories include the 2008 Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II), 2009 Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II), and 2009 Fantasy Stakes (gr. II). Bred in Kentucky by Morrison from the Roar mare Lotta Kim, the 3-year-old filly has won five of seven starts and has earnings $958,354.
  • Barbar0FanBarbar0Fan Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    One can only hope that Jackson will be a sport and keep Rachel in racing like he did with Curlin.

I feel bad for Hal Wiggins.
  • geauxcrotigersgeauxcrotigers Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    if they would send her to the preakness who does calvin ride?

im with you barbar0Fan Hal is such a nice guy.
  • Barbar0FanBarbar0Fan Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    What a classy guy Hal Wiggins is.

Here are some excerpts from his reaction - from Bloodhorse.com.

“Being the trainer, I have mixed emotions,” said Wiggins of the filly, who was transported to stall 24 of her new conditioner Steve Asmussen’s barn at around 5:15 a.m. May 7 at Churchill Downs. “I know she’ll make her new owners happy. We had her for a year and she never left our barn, so it’s tough, but we’ll get back into our same routine. My wife was upset, but I told her we could have sold her before the Oaks. We were fortunate to have had her as long as we did.”

In spite of the sadness that has come in Rachel’s absence, Wiggins said he has confidence the filly is in capable hands.

“There’s no question in my mind—Steve has handled champions before, and he knows how to train a horse, and I have no doubt she’s going to be well taken care of,” he said. “He knows what to do with a good horse, so I feel confident about where she is.”
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    if they would send her to the preakness who does calvin ride?

im with you barbar0Fan Hal is such a nice guy.

Calvin would have to be high on crack if he chose Mine that Bird over RA
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    FlyinLate wrote: »

Your not kidding......:laugh:
  • edited May 2009
    Asmussen Would Be The Last Guy In America I Would Let Train Her If I Owned Her..............he Will Run Her Into The Ground...............i Feel Disaster And More Blackeyes For Racing If This Filly Goes Down....................
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    rayphil wrote: »
    They are reporting that RA is being bought by Jess Jackson, for 10 Million...and may send her to the Preakness...

They jumped the gun for that 10 million, I think as the year went on they could of doubled it or more. My least favorite trainer the ASS man, is given another champion. We has he taken a 2 yo and made a champion out of them from every step with him. I was never a big believer in Curlin as he beat no one in his 4 you campaign. We still don't have a good group of handicap horses to date. Ra and Zen are probably the two best horses in training. This will be the second year for a BC Cup winner to run on the sticky stuff.

fb
    edited May 2009
    FlyinLate wrote: »

Do they leave Borel on her or go to Robbyobbie?
  • edited May 2009
    Fbwinners.........................dunco Could Ride That Filly,she Wins So Easy She Looks Like The "lady---cigar" ........
    edited May 2009
    GAMBLER911 wrote: »
    Fbwinners.........................dunco Could Ride That Filly,she Wins So Easy She Looks Like The "lady---cigar" ........

Agreed, just curios to see if they leave Borail or go to Robbyobbie. She is something special and he will keep her running if she stays sound.
  • hue21998hue21998 Banned
    edited May 2009
    well if Dunco cant ride her at least he can giver a boat ride