Owner Jess Jackson says Rachel Alexandra will NOT run in the Ladie's Classic

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2009 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Louisville Courier-Journal:

No decision was made Monday on either Preakness winner Rachel Alexandra's status for the June 6 Belmont Stakes nor for who will ride Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird in the Triple Crown finale in New York.

Rachel Alexandra worked an easy half-mile in 50 1/5 seconds in early dawn over a sloppy Churchill Downs track, with a rain shower materializing half-way through the move. About two hours later after the mid-morning renovation break, Mine That Bird got a "leg-stretcher," going the same distance in 51 seconds under jockey Calvin Borel.

But neither camp was any closer to a commitment afterward. Owner Jess Jackson, who purchased Rachel Alexandra and turned her over to trainer Steve Asmussen six days after she won the Kentucky Oaks, said there is no timetable on deciding whether to run in the Belmont, wait for the June 27 Mother Goose against fillies or compete in neither.

That left Borel, who gave up Mine That Bird for Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness, in a lurch, a situation that eased at least temporarily when trainer Chip Woolley said he and co-owner Mark Allen would wait possibly as late as early next week before finalizing a jockey for the Derby winner.

Woolley had said he wanted a commitment by Monday or he would name another rider. Mike Smith, who rode Mine That Bird to a rallying second in the Preakness, has another commitment in California on June 6, Belmont Day.

"Out of respect for Calvin, we're going to give them a little bit more time to make their decision what they're going to do," Woolley said. "We would like to have some closure on it, for sure. Anybody would. But that's the nature of the business when you've got two really good horses vying for the same rider.

"Nobody really likes being in a situation like this, but it happens. Especially when you have filly like her and a colt like mine that are both on the top of their game, and you got the same rider on both. It's a tough choice on the rider, and tough on us as trainers."

Woolley said he wanted to give Borel every opportunity to complete his personal Triple Crown.

"I mean, he win me a Derby, so he deserves the time it takes for him to make the conscious, right decision," he said. "And nobody knows, really, if that filly is going to be running in the Belmont. So it could workout where it's not even a decision for him. I think a little bit of time is not too much to ask."

Jerry Hissam, Borel's agent, said neither he nor the jockey had any comment on the situation.

Borel, who had shown up earlier at Asmussen's barn wearing a Rachel Alexandra ballcap, looked decidedly glum when he arrived at Woolley's barn. But he was his usual smiling self after Mine That Bird worked to Woolley's specifications.

"He worked good, like his old self," Borel said. "That's all he needed. Keep him happy and we'll be all right."

Woolley called the work "super." "Calvin said he was really bouncing; I'm tickled where we're at right now," he said.

Jackson and his wife, Barbara Banke, were on hand for Rachel's work.

"She's progressing. We still can't make any decisions, but she's recovering nicely," Jackson told reporters, referring to the Preakness. "For the time that has lapsed, only nine days, she's right on course for being in top shape. But we can't make that decision until we now.

"It's up to her. She'll tell us when she's ready. And it might not be as soon you would want. We can't take a chance and make a declaration, but we're still considering the Belmont. We have to monitor her make sure we preserve her, because she's so special."

No filly has won two legs of the Triple Crown.

"There is a component of her legacy," Jackson said. "But that's not the principle concern. The principle concern is the horse herself. It's not about winning, about the money. It's about keeping her sound and letting the public enjoy her. It's not necessary for her to go in the Belmont. When she's exercised and run constantly through the year, then we have to be more conservative and cautious about her. She's so special, you think of her as a great champion. At the same time, you don't want to push her past her limits. That's the concern we have with the Belmont."

When it was suggested that it sounded like he was leaning against the Belmont, Jackson said, "I'm not going to put a probability on it."

While Asmussen defers to Jackson for the ultimate decisions, he acknowledged that one concern could be Belmont's cavernous track, which often gets dry and loose. Borel said even in victory, Rachel struggled over a Pimlico track in similar condition.

"When you're talking about Rachel, everything is a concern," Asmussen said. "We want her to stay at this level and be the champion we feel she is."

Jackson said Robby Albarado "probably" would ride Rachel Alexandra if Borel opted for Mine That Bird. Albarado rode two-time Horse of the Year Curlin for Jackson and Asmussen.

Jackson was noncommittal when asked if Borel would keep the mount for future races if he opted for Mine That Bird before a decision was made and then Rachel Alexandra did not run in the Belmont.

"I told him he could have her for the year if he stays with her," Jackson said. "So we'd have to look at that opportunity as well. Calvin is in business. I think he'd be pleased to ride either one financially. I think his heart is with the filly, though, but I'm not sure."

Jackson said he'd love for Rachel to meet unbeaten older filly champion Zenyatta at some point. But he said it won't be in the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic, which Zenyatta won last year over Santa Anita's synthetic Pro-Ride surface. The Breeders' Cup will be at Santa Anita again this fall.

Curlin finished fourth in last year's Breeders' Cup Classic, with Jackson and Asmussen expressing reservations about the surface beforehand.

"If she runs at all on the plastic, it will be because she's so damn good that she can beat the boys in the Classic, not the Ladies' Classic," Jackson said. "(But) I don't want to race on plastic at all. I shouldn't have run Curlin, and I'm not going to run her - unless she has no other frontier to conquer."

My take on it (with no inside information, just gut feelings): If Woolley had made Borel commit today, Borel would have opted to wait on the filly, and if he sat out the Belmont, then so be it.

And Woolley, besides being a good guy who does think of the bigger picture and what's good for the sport, thinks it's unlikely that Rachel will run, which makes it easier to wait on Borel.

Today's big winner: ABC. Imagine if they had to broadcast the Belmont without either the filly or Borel going for his own Triple Crown sweep.

Comments

• InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Them people with Rachel are just he hawing around, they really want to ride Robby Albarado if I was Borel I'd say hell with them and ride Mine That Bird because he will be around running in a lot more races than Rachel, after this year She will probably be in the breeding barn with Curlin.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2009
    Why does everyone think that Rachel was purchased for breeding purposes? She can only have one baby per year. Good grief.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    RA is a few wins away from horse of the year and doesn't need to show up at the Breeders Cup if she was to win Belmont and the Travers. Why step back to take on a paper champion when you can continue beating the boys.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    Why does everyone think that Rachel was purchased for breeding purposes? She can only have one baby per year. Good grief.

:wonder:

Do you have any idea what a Curlin and RA colt will sell for ???

He is 80 years old he gets to own and run one of the all time great fillies. Then he gets to mate her with a great all time colt. 10 million is a bargain:yes:
    edited May 2009
    Draynay wrote: »
    :wonder:

Do you have any idea what a Curlin and RA colt will sell for ???

So, we already know it will be a colt?

And even if it is a colt, i'm guessing a few million, tops. You won't see any Green Monkeys in this kind of economy. And don't forget, Curlin is a complete unknown at stud right now.
  • FlyinLateFlyinLate Senior Member
    edited May 2009

Agreed. While being bred to Curlin is sure to bring in a nice price at the auctions, there is no way they purchased the filly for breeding purposes. People need to remember two things:
    1) Horse racing is a business
    2) Jesse Jackson is a VERY successful businessman with ALOT of money

In my opinion, he has enough money to enjoy owning a once in a lifetime filly, so why not? Sure he will make back some of his money on purse money as well as in breeding, but if all Jackson's business ventures were this outrageous he wouldn't be in the place to buy this filly in the first place. There is no way this filly was bought for on even a 50% criteria for breeding. This was based on Jackson wanting to be on top again, and having the money to do so. In turn, he will take a minimal loss based on his return from breeding/purses. The odds of him purchasing Rachel to MAKE money is a longshot. Sure he'd like to, but I'm 99% certain he went into this investment expecting to take a minor hit in return for the enjoyment of owning this horse.
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    It's been 10 days and they are not sure yet. We get a "she's progressing". Let me translate that for ya in trainer/owner speak:
    She did not come out of that race well.

If it's been 10 days and they still don't know, this decision should be a no brainer.
  • edited May 2009
    there holding out for belmont management to call and offer them a quarter million to run her....if she doesent run the crowd is a total bust if she shows up its standing room only..no doubt there waiting for the bigger cash offer appearance money..these are the things that are hidden in this game......the belmont is a bust without her.......she will be there...........
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Gambler very good point, could be the whole reason of the holdup.
  • edited May 2009
    Hello Fog.........how You Been Buddy.....im Excited 1 Hour Till Gametime..espn...all Kidding Aside Management Knows If She Is A No Show Nobody Cares People Will Go To The Beach A Yankee/mets Game To Much To Do This Time Of Year Back East.....but If Super Rachel Shows Up Its Standing Room Only Crowd..................good Luck If Your In Action Today On Anything...
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    The reason is simple. The second workout will determine whether she runs or not.
  • DUNCODUNCO Banned
    edited May 2009
    she nothing more then a toy to this guy ...and she no better then rags to riches ..and a long way from horse of the year...oh look another quater crack...i think you saw her best races all down hill from here ..unless they beat up on the weak 3yr olds fillies out there,,,why not...i'll be waiting for her at 1-9 like....zito's war ???....at tampa...
    edited May 2009
    I agree with 2W2P2S. That theory also happens to coincide with the "unidenified source" at Churchill who said that Rachel was "pretty knocked out" after the Preakness, and that Asmussen "wanted no part of the Belmont".

I've also heard the "appearance fee" theory from a couple of places, but i'm confident that if Belmont was even considering that, they would have offered it by now. They wouldn't wait until the last moment, because they would want some additional time to advertise and bulid up the hype. And i don't think that they would offer one anyway. They don't need to. No horse that wins the Derby and Preakness is going to pass on the Belmont unless he's injured. And horses that DON'T win both races aren't going to be deemed worthy of an appearance fee anyway. Rachel is a special case, of course, but it's not a precedent that Belmont would want to set.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited May 2009
    No matter who shows up Charitable Man is going to be almost impossible to beat.